Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with XDCAM EX Footage

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I recently upgraded to Premiere CS6, and in CS6 opened a version of a project I'd started in CS5.5.2. I'm working with XDCAM EX footage, editing natively.  I'm working with Mac OS 10.7.4, 2010 Mac Pro, NVIDIA QUADRO 4000.

When I play my there are tearing artifacts across many of the clips, and there weren't any in the CS 5.5.2 version. I opened the project in CS 5.5.2 and the same sequence plays fine.

I've tried cleaning the media cache, trashing my preferences, repairing my disk permissions, and creating a new project in CS6 and importing my sequences into it.  Same problems.

I've also had some clips go offline mysteriously, when I try reconnecting (in 5.5.2) I get an error saying there are no video or audio streams and it can't re-connect. The clips play fine in VLC player. But, if I boot from the clone of my OS drive that I created before upgrading to CS6 I don't get any offline clips.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Gerry

Gerry Curtis

savasanafilm.com

http://digitalkilnstudios.com

Message was edited by: digitalkiln

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 169 Replies 169
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you see the tearing on export, or only inside of PP?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gerry, if you have some short clips, would it be possible for you to send me one of your problematic source files? If so, please send me a personal message and I will send you my contact info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PM sent.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've downloaded your file now and will take a look at it tomorrow and let you know what I find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No playback problems for me. Attached is a screenshotof what I ma seeing. I also placed my system summary window in the upper left so you can see that my hardware is... pretty similar to yours.

z01_8294_02_playback_SS.jpg

-James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Joe,

The tearing shows in Premiere and when exporting.

Thanks!

Gerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tearing shows when exporting.

OK.

How are you viewing that export?  On the computer?  Or did you make a DVD/Blu-ray?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably not very helpful to you, but I just finished editing a 3 hour program using XDCAM-EX footage and had no issues in playback or export...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey James,

Here's what I'm seeing in CS5.5.2, plays back fine:

cs5.5.2 screen crop.jpg

Here's the same frame sequence in CS6, you can see the tearing across her mouth:

cs6 screen crop.jpg

I have another CS6 Project with XDCAM EX files and this problem isn't happening.  When CS6 imports the files does it create any other types of files that might be corrupted?

Thanks,

Gerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you're only seeing it on the computer.  Don't do that.  Burn a DVD or Blu-ray to judge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

I'm seeing the glitch on the computer, external monitor and upon export.

Thanks,

Gerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and upon export.

OK, but we're back to the same question.  What export and how are you watching it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey James,

It's not a constant line, sometimes it's rectangular boxes.

Jim:  The glitches show while playing or pausing the sequence or clip in Premiere CS6 and if exporting to a file.  Everything works fine in CS5.  It's not a matter of encoding it wrong or not viewing it correctly, CS6 is adding glitches to the clip that aren't there in CS5. 

Thanks,

Gerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I didn't really think it was that difficult a question.  Asked twice, ignored twice.

As you wish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

I exported it to an h264.  No reason to send to bluray, this is for web.  If I export an h264 out of CS5 the glitches don't happen.  What are you trying to test for/eliminate? 

Thanks,

Gerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know the specifics of what Jim is driving at, but I do know that

different things happen upon export for disc, and if the problem is not

present on the disc, it'll help narrow down what the problem could be...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI David,

I exported an H264, if I authored a bluray from the h264 it will still have the glitches, I think that possiblity can be safely eliminated. 

Thanks,

Gerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2012 May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same exct problems. We have the Sony XDCAM EX camera using the mp4 files. No problems with cs5.5 only with CS6. What gives? Any help from anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At first I couldn;t even see the difference in your screenshot, bu tthen I noticed it... right there at the mouth... and that's all throughout the clip?

I wish I could  be of more help but I just can;t repro anything at all.. I'll post back if I start seeing anything like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Visible on computer monitor AND on external monitor.

Haven't tested rendering yet. Included a screenshot:

Screen Shot 2012-05-30 at 15.25.01.png

Mixed timeline with XDCAM HD422 from Sony PDW700 and XDCAM EX from Sony EX3. (all footage 1920x1080i)

Blackmagic 1080i uncompressed timeline.

Single frames like this appear in the footage, artefacts not always in the same place, seems like something goes wrong when the footage is decompressed. This occurs only in the XDCAM EX (mp4) footage, XDCAM HD422 (most of the sequence) is all fine. The XDCAM EX footage itself is of course fine, and plays back normally in v5.5.

The artefact looks different in the source monitor, when viewing footage in the source monitor, somehow it takes the external signal  a second or so to display interlacing. After a second or so, the artefact is sometimes in another place or disappears alltogether. Re-importing doesn't help.

Yuk...

Mac Pro Mid 2010

24GB RAM

internal Raid0 with 2 drives

Blackmagic SDI

Nvidia Quadro 4000 Mac

Cuda driver 4.2.7

Mac OS 10.7.4

Pr 6.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm… perhaps its only from the Sony cameras? I’m using a JVC GY-700 that

shoots to XDCAM-EX, and with 1080i .mp4 wrapped footage I’ve not seen any

problems…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW: "Strange" behaviour when viewing in source monitor due to the fact that it was set to 1/2 resolution and 1 field only for playback. Brand new install, did change that for the program monitor, but not for the source. The bad news is that these artefacts indeed also show up in rendered material.

Filed a bug report, hope they fix this soon! (hopefully a bit sooner than that XDCAM HD audio bug in 5.5...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Carl,

Looks like we're experiencing the same issue, unfortunately.  Hopefully the Adobe folks can figure this out.

Cheers,

Gerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gerry,

Yep, looks like it. I really hope they can do something about it soon. Crazy situation with these bugs. XDCAM HD has this annoying audio bug in Pr5.5, and in Pr6 it finally works normally. XDCAM EX was ok in Pr5.5 and is broken in Pr6. So with a mixed HD/EX format timeline, there's always something that doesn't work as it should. One starts thinking about transcoding the whole lot anyway 😞

So here we are, eagerly awaiting Pr6.0.2.....

Cheers,

Carl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines