39 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2014 12:39 PM by SenioreT RSS

Installation of Photoshop CS6 (Extended) on Case-Sensitive Drives

cdre-tk Community Member

I understand that under the "system requirements" the Adobe website says that you can't install PS CS6 (Extended) on case-sensitive drives (I'm using a MacBook Pro, OS X v. 10.7.4).  This seems to have been the case at least since CS5.

I didn't see this, and I bought (quite excitedly) the update from CS PS5 (Extended) to PS6.  I had NO PROBLEM installing PS5 on this drive. 

Of course, as other users have indicated, the installer refuses to let you install on a case-sensitive drive (e.g., no options to install on another disk).  There is also no mention that CS6 must be installed on the boot drive.

Requiring installation on the boot drive has serious implications for those of us who require case-sensitive drives for other work; I don't want to have to reboot from another drive when I use PS, and switch back and forth -- that's simply foolish.

From my point of view (as a user, granted), this is lazy programming, and this needs to be fixed ASAP.  At least in my case, I have a $400 lump of software just taking up space, when I want to be up to my eyeballs enjoying PS6 in all it's glory.

Outside an Adobe fix, I don't see a solution to this problem.  If I wipe my drive, format it as not case-sensitive, then I lose functionality for other critical work.  Further, I'm not sure that the process of  wiping the drive, formating it as non case-sensitive, and restoring everything from TimeMachine would even work (since the backup material is coming from a case-senstive drive and trying to go to a drive that is not case-sensitive).

The REALLY frustrating part is that I've installed Photoshop 3, 4, and 5 (and from much, much further back) on case-sensitive disks -- all with no problems.  It's only now that the issue smacks me in the face.

There's got to be a work-around, if not a "real" solution.

Whatever help you might be able to offer would be greatly appreciated; details can be sent to cdretk at gmail dot com.

I have hope, and I thank you in advance.