10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2006 7:40 AM by punchkickinteractive RSS

Flash Lite and GPS

H_L_W Community Member
      Hi there

Does anybody out there know the best method to bridge the gap between flash and a gps receiver without loads and loads of code?

I am trying to develop an app that will know when a user reaches a certain point and give them the information they need.

Any help would be fab, thanks!
        • 1. Flash Lite and GPS
          punchkickinteractive Community Member
          Hello. At the MAX conference today the Adobe Mobile Team clarified the Flash Lite capabilities and confirmed that Flash Lite 1.1 and 2.x does not have any location service capabilities. HOWEVER, there may be a work around. If you can pinpoint the three nearest cell phone towers you should be able to triangulate the approximate location of the device.

• 2. Re: Flash Lite and GPS
            Stephan2010 Community Member
            The triangulation works only if you have a database with all the exact positions (Lat/Log) of every antenna of every operator nearby, otherwise, you don't have data to triangulate anything. The antennas only send their identifier not their positon. Even if you will be able to have such information the precision is around +/- 125 meters in cities center and get to around 2 KM outside, go figure your position then.....

Cheers,
            Steph
            • 3. Flash Lite and GPS
              Hello-

I just found a site in France that offers a service using GPS enabled phones. http://www.meetmoi.com/. Does anyone know the developer(s) of this project?
              • 4. Flash Lite and GPS
                SInce many Verizon phones (such as the Choc, RAZR, and MOTOKRZR K1m) offer GPS services through Verizon, is there any reason that the Flash Lite player did not tap into this?

If we do develop GPS support (via C#, Python, etc.), would Verizon block us from VCAST so that we did not cut into their revenue?

Does anyone have any input to this?
                • 5. Re: Flash Lite and GPS
                  BIG Find. Although–I don't have any idea how it affects a Flash user.

From Verizon:
                  The Verizon Wireless commercial Location Based Services (LBS) platform provides the ability for developers to create applications that use the subscriber's location as part of the delivery of the service. These applications may be consumer focused, or enterprise focused. Consumer application types include navigation & traffic, LBS games, mobile marketing, and social networking. Enterprise applications include field force automation, real estate and custom solutions.

Verizon and BREW have released a ton of documentation on location based services.

http://www.vzwdevelopers.com/aims/public/menu/lbs/LBSLanding.jsp
                  http://www.vzwdevelopers.com/aims/public/menu/lbs/LBSPlatformSelection.jsp
                  http://www.vzwdevelopers.com/aims/public/menu/lbs/LBSFAQ.jsp

Good luck. If anyone makes any progress with this please contact me. I would love to hear about it/contribute if possible.

Thanks.
                  • 6. Re: Flash Lite and GPS
                    Community Member
                    I worked at GTE Labs (now Verizon Labs) for ten years in the 1980s. Here is
                    some advice from an old hand in dealing with Telcos:

Don't ask for permission. (You are begging for all the beaurocratic pencil
                    pushers to drive you crazy)

Go ahead and do it.

I am now an Adobe ACE for mobile. And we are working with Qualcomm on LBS
                    and Brew services. This stuff is certainly possible with Brew native apps in
                    combination with FlashLite 2.

I like python, if you go that way, please post your results.

"punchkickinteractive" <ryan@punchkickinteractive.com> wrote in message
                    news:ei7s68$io3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > BIG Find. Although?I don't have any idea how it affects a Flash user.
                    >
                    > From Verizon:
                    > The Verizon Wireless commercial Location Based Services (LBS) platform
                    > provides the ability for developers to create applications that use the
                    > subscriber's location as part of the delivery of the service. These
                    > applications may be consumer focused, or enterprise focused. Consumer
                    > application types include navigation & traffic, LBS games, mobile
                    > marketing,
                    > and social networking. Enterprise applications include field force
                    > automation,
                    > real estate and custom solutions.
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > Verizon and BREW have released a ton of documentation on location based
                    > services.
                    >
                    > http://www.vzwdevelopers.com/aims/public/menu/lbs/LBSLanding.jsp
                    > http://www.vzwdevelopers.com/aims/public/menu/lbs/LBSPlatformSelection.jsp
                    > http://www.vzwdevelopers.com/aims/public/menu/lbs/LBSFAQ.jsp
                    >
                    >
                    > Good luck. If anyone makes any progress with this please contact me. I
                    > would
                    > love to hear about it/contribute if possible.
                    >
                    > Thanks.
                    >

• 7. Re: Flash Lite and GPS
                      Can you please post instructions or pointers to instructions on how to write a very basic "Hello World" native BREW app and how that will communicate with Flash Lite 2.1? I also have the ACE for mobile, but I have no experience communicating between BREW and Flash Lite. Please advise.

p.s. If I take this and run with it I would be happy to post.
                      • 8. Re: Flash Lite and GPS
                        Community Member
                        I can't take you step-by-step how to do Brew development in C. My employer
                        needs me for a lot of other critical tasks.

But writing Socket stuff is pretty basic stuff on the C side.

On the Flash Side: use XMLSocket.

Here is a snippet.

Also take a look at:

http://brew.qualcomm.com/brew_bnry/pdf/events/brew_2006/tech501_chanda_creatingflash.pdf

var url:String = '127.0.0.2';
                        // var url:String = '127.0.0.1';
                        // var url:String = null;
                        var socket:XMLSocket = new XMLSocket()
                        socket.onConnect = function (success:Boolean) {
                        if (success) {
                        trace ("Connection succeeded!");
                        } else {
                        trace ("Connection failed!");
                        }
                        }
                        if (!socket.connect(url, 2000)) {
                        trace ("Connection failed!");
                        }"punchkickinteractive" <ryan@punchkickinteractive.com> wrote in message
                        news:ei8a21$6ei$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > Can you please post instructions or pointers to instructions on how to
                        > write a
                        > very basic "Hello World" native BREW app and how that will communicate
                        > with
                        > Flash Lite 2.1? I also have the ACE for mobile, but I have no experience
                        > communicating between BREW and Flash Lite. Please advise.
                        >
                        > p.s. If I take this and run with it I would be happy to post.
                        >

• 9. Flash Lite and GPS
                          Jeffrey_Siegel Community Member
                          This thread has gotten away from the central question originally asked - is there a way for a FlashLite application to access streaming serial data via a serial port or Bluetooth? This would allow connectivity to a GPS and open the FlashLite developer to create location based applications.

That is the central question for this thread and its topic name. Does anyone have an answer for it?
                          • 10. Re: Flash Lite and GPS
                            I have been told by more advanced C++ developers that this would be possible only by creating a C++ "container" application that would simply perform two functions.

1) Load your Flash Lite movie using the Flash Lite for BREW extention headers in C++.
                            2) You C++ app would site in the background and write variable data to a text file based on a predefined interval.

This would allow your Flash Lite app to read the text file for the updated variables written by the C++ file. For instance, the C++ app could bring in and save data from bluetooth or a serial port.

Yechezkal sounds like he would no more about this than me. I am currently in the process of working with a team to develop something similar to what I am refering to... I'll keep you posted.

p.s. NSTL certification will be a nightmare with this much communication and data writing on the handset. Plan accordingly. lol.

p.p.s. My suggestion pretty much only applies to BREW phones for Verizon (I think) unless it doesn't. I think you could also use Python to do the same thing described here on a Nokia S60. Just speculation however.