6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2012 1:09 PM by simonmlewis RSS

How do you adjust a marquee selection?

simonmlewis Community Member

Ok so I have a photo.  I want to cut out a shape that is oval.  I try to draw it, but cannot get it quite right.

It's near, but not perfect.  So I want to go and click on one side and drag the shape out to stretch it to the desired shape.

Each time I do this, I either get a second shape (via Alt I think), or the original shape disappears and I have to try again.  Over and over and over......................

It won't let me just "adjust" the elliptical selection.

So how do you do?

Simon

Note: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshopelements/using/WS287f927bd30d4b1f2773521512e28aff242- 7ffc.html
      This doesn't do it either as it just immediately cuts-out the image, or stretches it.  I just want to adjust the shape I am cutting out. 

• 1. Re: How do you adjust a marquee selection?
          R_Kelly Community Member

If you have a newer version of elements go to Select>Transform  Selection.

If you don't have that command, what version of elements?

Your talking about a selection and not a shape drawn with the shape tools?

• 2. Re: How do you adjust a marquee selection?
            hatstead MVP
            1. Open your picture file
            2. Access the Cookie Cutter Tool (Q)
            3. On the tool's option bar at the top, next to "Shape", click on the little arrow, then when the next screen comes up, select "Crop Shapes"
            4. In this library there is an all-black circle. Highlight this.
            5. Drag this out into an oval and position, commit.
            • 3. Re: How do you adjust a marquee selection?

Version 10.

Select Transform just selects the whole thing.  I want to select part of the photo with a square or circle, and drag the edge out to adjust the shape I want to cut.

I cannot find Cookie Cutter Tool.  If I do SHIFT + Q it does nothing,.  If I do CTRL + Q, it wants to quit.

I'm slightly astounded by how difficult this is made to be.  I expected to use the tool I mentioned, put cursor on the edge, adjust, and DONE!

• 4. Re: How do you adjust a marquee selection?
                hatstead MVP

The cookie cutter tool is the star-shaped icon in the tool box. I put a red line there for your reference.

This tool will do just what you want, and there are many shapes from  which to select.

Forget about shift + ctrl.

Once you engage the tool and embrace the content which you wish to retain, you crop away the unwanted area. The corner handles and side handles of the bounding box facilitate the entire process.

Capture.JPG

We look forward to your progress

• 5. Re: How do you adjust a marquee selection?
                  Barbara B. ACP/MVPs

Select Transform just selects the whole thing.  I want to select part of the photo with a square or circle, and drag the edge out to adjust the shape I want to cut.

Don't understand that. You've drawn your oval with the elliptical marquee tool? If your selection is active, transform selection should only give you handles on the selection itself:

Screen Shot 2012-06-04 at 11.15.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-06-04 at 11.16.17 AM.png

• 6. Re: How do you adjust a marquee selection?

Bingo.

Seems a bit daft to have the user select a tool, create the shape, and then have to click two options from a menu..... simply to adjust it!!!

They really should have let you change it the very second you released the mouse.  The moment I did it first time, it was my instinct: create.... oh I need to increase it a bit.  Oh sod, I can't.  Not very friendly.

Thanks.