1 2 Previous Next 45 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2012 11:49 PM by AtlantaVideo

BD-RE

AtlantaVideo

I have what may sound like a silly question.

From my other post, the rendering issue has been solved by upgrade to 6.0.1,

however I am getting the following error while trying to write a Blu-ray disc.

"About 5 minutes into to the process I got the message: 

"Blu-ray Error: "fatal error", Code: "6", Note: "Video buffer underflows. Total bitrate is too high near time = 1.935267 seconds -

looking at the quotes, the message does not seem to be complete. I will search the forum for this error.

My second attempt I got the message:

Blu-ray Error: "device error", Code:"3", Note: "CreateStcSequence: Fail to Write M2S file."

Because I have wasted so many Blu-ray discs, I went and bought a BD-RE disc.

Could this be causing the write issue - "Bit rate  is too high"???

I figure the only real dumb question is the one not asked.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: BD-RE
          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Many Encore errors are not very descriptive. This one is very specific. Yes, its specificity may be wrong, but I'd assume it is correct.

I looks like the timeline or motion asset  name is missing, so I'd consider both.

If you have not started the project over after getting various errors, trash the cache.

• 2. Re: BD-RE
            AtlantaVideo Level 1

Stan, I have trashed the Cashe numerous times!

So what should I be looking for in the timeline or motion asset (which is just a pointer to a chapter point)?

Thanks

• 3. Re: BD-RE

I don't recall from other threads: how did you transcode the timeline assets? What min, target, and max datarate? I would also look at the transcoded files with media info to see what the actual is.

• 4. Re: BD-RE
                AtlantaVideo Level 1

Stan I am sorry I don't really understand the questions.

The time line assets (video and Audio) were created in Premier pro CS6 for the highest resolution 1080i

The video is 1920x1080 , 29.97 fps, VBR 25 Mbps. Created using preset HD 1080i 29.97

The entire video is 1 hour 37 minutes.

The thumb nail motions were reduced to about 1 minute in duration, endless loop, and are created using chapter points (or poster points for the chapters) as the begining, and everything is done by encore. We have not created seperate videos for the motion.

• 5. Re: BD-RE
                  coolvideo12 Level 2

Hi Atlanta vdeo ,

I can suggest some workarounds that you can try :

1."Blu-ray Error: "fatal error", Code: "6", Note: "Video buffer underflows. Total bitrate is too high near time = 1.935267 seconds - This error suggest your asset bit rate is too high . This error can also occur when there are subtitles tracks (too many) . If there are too many subtitle tracks you can try deleting one/two and can try building.

You can create custom preset via edit quality preset dialog and link with your asset . Then encore will transcode file asper preset properties.

2. Blu-ray Error: "device error", Code:"3", Note: "CreateStcSequence: Fail to Write M2S file."  --This error will be gone once you close project , quit encore and reopen project and build.

I hope if you try these workarounds your issues will be resolved.

Thanks

Minu

• 6. Re: BD-RE

VBR 25 Mbps.

VBR 25 what? Target or max? I assume the error is reflecting total video and audio rates.

• 7. Re: BD-RE
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know about CS6, but there was a bug in CS5 and/or 5.5 with 2-pass VBR

Does anyone know if that 2-pass bug was fixed?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/944584

• 8. Re: BD-RE
                        AtlantaVideo Level 1

Minu Ji,

You said "You can create custom preset via edit quality preset dialog and link with your asset . Then encore will transcode file asper preset properties."

Where do I do this, in Premier or Encore. However, under the edit tab, neither has "quality" or "Preset".

2. Blu-ray Error: "device error", Code:"3", Note: "CreateStcSequence: Fail to Write M2S file." --This error will be gone once you close project , quit encore and reopen project and build.

Not true, this error is consistant!

Regards,

Mohan

• 9. Re: BD-RE

In Encore, right click on the asset and pick Transcode Setting." There you will see Edit Quality Presets," Create a cfustom one and then select it for the asset.

• 10. Re: BD-RE
                            ram8kumar Level 3

AtlantaVideo wrote:

2. Blu-ray Error: "device error", Code:"3", Note: "CreateStcSequence: Fail to Write M2S file." --This error will be gone once you close project , quit encore and reopen project and build.

Not true, this error is consistant!

The Error code 3 generally comes in two situations:

1. The AuthorScriptHDMVSessions files gets corrupted

2. Or the media used for burning is causing the problem. Media may refer to the burner or the disc.

Close the project and then Try deleting the sessions files from the folder

\<Project location>\<Project folder>\AuthorScriptHDMVSessions\      and then re-open the project and burn.

If that doesn't help, Quit Encore, Launch Encore, reopen the project and change the disc this time and burn. (Please use the BD-RE disc to avoid wastage of the disc.)

Best of luck.

-Ramesh.

• 11. Re: BD-RE
                              AtlantaVideo Level 1

Thanks Stan!

I just tried that. I changed the frame rate from 29.97 to 24, but when I do that, the disc space used goes from 19.32 GB to  238.3 MB.

What do I do now?

• 12. Re: BD-RE

You don't want to change framerate in Encore; fix that in Premiere.

The primary setting you want to adjust in Encore is datarate.

• 13. Re: BD-RE
                                  AtlantaVideo Level 1

Please excuse my ignorance, but where do I adjust datarate. I see resolution and I see frame rate, but where is the datarate?

I am assuing changes are under Blu-ray Transcoding?

• 14. Re: BD-RE

Right click on an asset and pick "Transcode Settings."

Click "Edit Quality Presents."

Pick the format and preset you want to look at or use to create your own.

Video tab is probably selected by default.

I think you were up to this point.

Now scroll down in the video tab, and you will see bitrate settings.

• 15. Re: BD-RE
                                      AtlantaVideo Level 1

Thank you, I found it and reduced the bit rate as follows: the target to 25 and max to 30.

When I go to build, the disc space has again gone down to 238.1 MB, when it should be something like 23 GB.

What could I be doing wrong?

• 16. Re: BD-RE
                                        ram8kumar Level 3

AtlantaVideo wrote:

Thank you, I found it and reduced the bit rate as follows: the target to 25 and max to 30.

When I go to build, the disc space has again gone down to 238.1 MB, when it should be something like 23 GB.

Looking at this post, it seems to me that your video was originally a Blu-ray legal video (The Blu-ray transcode status should be Don't Transcode before you applied this custome preset to the asset.).

If your asset was Blu-ray legal, then you should not apply the custom preset and should not force transcode the video. This could hamper the quality of the video.

Please post the properties of your asset after you exported it out of PPro CS6. You can use the Mediainfo tool for the same.

The tool can be downloaded from http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en/Download

-Ramesh.

• 17. Re: BD-RE
                                          neil wilkes Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AtlantaVideo wrote:

It's possible that this is telling you how much space there will be left on the disc after burning, I think (might be wrong here though).

With the whole bitrate thing, remember you have an absolute limit of 40.08Mbps for all multiplexed assets that cannot be exceeded.

Also, as Ramesh has so correctly pointed out, the media itself is something you need to be very careful about. Check your burner manufacturer to seewhat media it is optimized for (we have a Plextor BD-R PX-LB950SA model that is apparently factory optimized for Sony media) and also be careful to match the media to the burner speeds - I screwed up here and bought a box of Sony 1-4X BD-R DL media but my burner will not go slower than 4x on BD-R discs, so these burn at highest speed which causes problems. Idally, use the lowest common denominator between burner rated speed & media rated speed - this will be the best approach.

• 18. Re: BD-RE

reduced the bit rate as follows: the target to 25 and max to 30.

The datarate reduction was in part to be an experiment regarding the "total bitrate too high" error.

Is that error still present?

• 19. Re: BD-RE
                                              JamesValis

reduced the bit rate as follows: the target to 25 and max to 30.

One thing I noticed in Encore's transcoding is that it leaves the already transcoded files intact and transcodes any new files to fit what is left over.  I found this hugely compressed a new addition I had added to a project (it looked horrible).  I tried to force Encore to use my specified encode settings but had no luck.

I removed all the previous transcodings and Encore then looked at the project and re-encoded it all to fit nicely on my single sided Blu-ray. 

• 20. Re: BD-RE
                                                One thing I noticed in Encore's transcoding is that it leaves the already transcoded files intact and transcodes any new files to fit what is left over.

I think this is expected behavior when set to "automatic." Be sure you are looking at the right status column for DVD and separately (to the right) for BD.

If you transcode using automatic and then later another asset on automatic, Encore will use a lower rate than you want.

I know you set something, but what you describe strongly suggests an actual setting of automatic.

• 21. Re: BD-RE
                                                  AtlantaVideo Level 1

Ramesh, here is the information regarding the asset used;

General
                                                  Complete name                            : E:\Delesh Wed & Rec\Delesh Recp New.m4v
                                                  Format                                   : AVC
                                                  Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
                                                  File size                                : 17.0 GiB

Video
                                                  Format                                   : AVC
                                                  Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
                                                  Format profile                           : High@L4.1
                                                  Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
                                                  Format settings, ReFrames                : 4 frames
                                                  Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
                                                  Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
                                                  Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
                                                  Frame rate                               : 29.970 fps
                                                  Standard                                 : NTSC
                                                  Color space                              : YUV
                                                  Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
                                                  Bit depth                                : 8 bits
                                                  Scan type                                : Interlaced
                                                  Scan order                               : Top Field First
                                                  Color primaries                          : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
                                                  Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709-5, BT.1361
                                                  Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

• 22. Re: BD-RE
                                                    AtlantaVideo Level 1

Neil,

I hesitate to contact HP (the manufacturer of my BD writer).

Last time someone had suggested that I make sure I have the latest drivers and firmware. So I went to chat with tech support. My question was simple, yet they insisted on asking me irrelevent questions (dispite my objections).

After wasting one hour of my time they gave me the answer I needed (there were no updates for me), and appologised for wasting my time.

Neil, my initial problem was media. The last 10 discs out of a pack of 25 did not work. I then bought Philips BD-R from my local Micro center and was able to burn one Bru-ray before CS6.

Since I have also obtained a memorex BD-RE from Frys, so I don't waste any more discs!

Lastly I burn at the lowest settings when it gives me the option.

• 23. Re: BD-RE
                                                      AtlantaVideo Level 1

Actually Stan,  I was hesitant to even try burning a disc because the project size went to near nothing. However I did try it and the error did not recur.

After spending three hours or more buring a disc, with only 13 seconds remaining to completion, I got the same old error:

Blu-ray Error: "device error", Code:"3", Note: "CreateStcSequence: Fail to Write M2S file."

Now previously I was getting this error after only about 5 minutes into the build.

• 24. Re: BD-RE
                                                        ram8kumar Level 3

Its strange that the properites of the asset does not show the bit rate of the asset. It would have been great if the bit rate of the asset could be known somehow.

You should try creating a new project from the scratch. This project might be corrupted. Once corrupted, it is very difficult to get it to the working state. Your asset is Blu-ray legal, then you should not be worried about the re-transcoding of the asset.

One more thing is that you should not apply the custom preset for the asset which is already Blu-ray legal.

Also you might want to try switching off (Power Off) your burner and then switching it on. Sometimes the burners might get into conflict with Encore and create these device errors.

-Ramesh.

• 25. Re: BD-RE
                                                          AtlantaVideo Level 1

Why can I not find the AuthorScriptHDMVSessions?? Does CS 6 not create them or is this another issue I need to be concerned with?????

• 26. Re: BD-RE
                                                            AtlantaVideo Level 1

Ramesh,

Should I shoot myself now or wait and try the whole process again?

Ok, I am going to delete all assets and try this again. Not scratch for PPRo, but just export again from PPro.

What settings do you suggest. last time I used the BEST (higest quality) as this was a HD project from the begining.

I agree with what you said, I should not have to alter or lower anything!

When I close Encore, why does the process not close? I have to go into task manager to end the process!

Thanks

Mohan

• 27. Re: BD-RE
                                                              ram8kumar Level 3

You should not worry about the creation of the sessions files. It was just one possibility of the device errors in 5.1

I was just wondering about the bit rate of the file that you have right now. If that is too high, then you should just lower the bit rate in the same preset while exporting from PPro. Just lower it a little bit, otherwise the quality of the video would suffer.

A new project from scratch in En should solve the problem. No need to go to PPro for re-export.

-Ramesh.

• 28. Re: BD-RE
                                                                AtlantaVideo Level 1

Ok, will give it a go!

• 29. Re: BD-RE

Ramesh,

Should I shoot myself now or wait and try the whole process again?

You were asking Ramesh, but I vote for waiting!

• 30. Re: BD-RE
                                                                    AtlantaVideo Level 1

Ok, re-did the project, renders fine and on build I got

"Blu-ray Error: "fatal error", Code: "6", Note: "Video buffer underflows. Total bitrate is too high near time = 1.935267 seconds -

Which is an exact duplicate of the previous error.

Now exporting from PPro with target at 20 and Max at 25.

Is anyone at Adobe attemting to replicate and find a solution?

Has anyone had sucess burning Blu-ray with CS6?

• 31. Re: BD-RE
                                                                      ram8kumar Level 3

Looks like the video has a lot of high motion. After exporting from PPro, do create a new project in En. Otherwise it may lead to the old device error code 3.

-Ramesh.

• 32. Re: BD-RE
                                                                        AtlantaVideo Level 1

Ramesh, the main menu has 4 motion tumbnail buttons and the sub menu has six. I have reduced the loop time down to just 1 minute.

With Encore the fastest test will be to replace the assets. If that does not work, then I will create a new encore project from scratch.

Now in  the last test, I did reuse my saved menu templates. Any chance that could be an issue? In these templates, I have made the motion buttons larger than what you seem to have in your standard menu's, so that the motion is clearly visable and fun to watch. Much better that the small buttons where it's almost pointless haveing the motion buttons!

• 33. Re: BD-RE
                                                                          ram8kumar Level 3

When I talked about the high motion content, I am not talking about the motion menus. I am talking about the video itself. It might have high motion like a lot of dancing, some high speed animation etc.

To identify whether the issue is with the motion menu or with the timeline:

First test :  You should try to build the project without the timeline and see if the error is still there. You can build to Blu-ray image for a quick test.

Second Test : If you can export a very small video (say 2 minute) from PPro using the same settings that you did earlier, and then try to burn that to Blu-ray in Encore. This will isolate if the problem is with the high motion content in the video.

-Ramesh.

• 34. Re: BD-RE

It looks to me like it is in the menus, given that time reference seems to be at around 2 seconds in.

What did you create the thing in - and what is actually used for your thumbnals?

To ascertain if your footage is at fault, check it in MediaInfo, and note the peak bitrate used.

Add this to the audio bitrate (what is your audio on the timeline?) and if it comes in under 40.08Mbps you are okay and it points at the menus.

You have to remember that BD is a very different animal to DVD, and things do not work the same way. With several animated thumbnails (are they by any chance accessing video poster frames??) you could easily tip the scales of allowed bitrate.....plus you must also remember that with BD, the menu buttons all work very differently too.

• 35. Re: BD-RE
                                                                              AtlantaVideo Level 1

Ok, I will try both if the next build fails! Keep your fingers crossed!

I do wedding videos so all my work is HIGH Motion. Has  never been a problem in the past.

• 36. Re: BD-RE
                                                                                AtlantaVideo Level 1

Neil Wilkes wrote:

It looks to me like it is in the menus, given that time reference seems to be at around 2 seconds in.

What did you create the thing in - and what is actually used for your thumbnals?

To ascertain if your footage is at fault, check it in MediaInfo, and note the peak bitrate used.

Add this to the audio bitrate (what is your audio on the timeline?) and if it cvomes in under 40.08Mbps you are okay and it points at the menus.

Neil, the menus were created in encore by taking existing HD menu from the library and changing the buttons to motion thumb nails, and then stretching them a little to make the motion more visible. I added a audio track to each menu. The Menus were then saved back into the library as a templates.

If you look above at post 21, I posted the Media Info for the video asset. It did not provide the bitrate information. Is there a different setting I need to use to get this information?

• 37. Re: BD-RE

If you look above at post 21, I posted the Media Info for the video asset. It did not provide the bitrate information. Is there a different setting I need to use to get this information?

I don't see any "view" in Mediainfo that does not report the datarate of an m4v sample. I like the "tree" view. When you pull it up, do you see any datarate? Are you posting a screenshot?

• 38. Re: BD-RE
                                                                                    AtlantaVideo Level 1

Ramesh,

The Bitrate error has gone but I still can not complete the build Blu-ray. I get the error

This error happens towards the end of the write process.

I am going out to purchase a new BD writer!

Neil & Stan, i will use mediainfo again and post the tree. How do I capture a screen shot?

• 39. Re: BD-RE

AtlantaVideo wrote:

Neil & Stan, i will use mediainfo again and post the tree. How do I capture a screen shot?

PC or Mac?

On a PC, simply press "PrtSc" on your keyboard, open up "Paint" (always ships with the OS) and hit "Paste".

Then save as a PNG and attach here.

(You will need the advanced editor)

Job Jobbed.

1 2 Previous Next