16 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2013 10:48 AM by gator soup RSS

OSX 10.7.4, CS6, Epson 7880

gator soup Community Member

is anyone printing from Photoshop CS6 under OSX Lion 10.7.4 on an Epson 7880 printer using OEM profiles/paper

does it work properly (Photoshop manages colors)?

• 1. Re: OSX 10.7.4, CS6, Epson 7880

well joy -- i got a Mac Pro 8core (20gb ram) installed from scratch ‚ 10.7.4, and CS6 (Ps Extended)

i got through Epson's abominable downloads page and loaded their

Printer Driver v8.66

Mac OS X (v10.7 - v10.7.x), Mac OS X (v10.6), Mac OS X (v10.5.8)

epson14623.dmg - 60MB - posted on 02/17/12

Common Updater v7.0 (if the Lion driver even needs it?)

Intel-based Macs with OS X (v10.5 - v10.6.8)

epson13884.dmg - 13.6MB - posted on 05/13/10

File> Print doesn't list any Epson profiles (I have PhBK ink installed and successefully printed a nozzel test)

Screen Shot 2012-06-07 at 1.31.06 PM.png

however, with sRGB set as the print profile, I get the profile I want in Printer settings

Screen Shot 2012-06-07 at 1.41.55 PM.png

ANY IDEA WHY File> Print doesn't allow me to select my Epson profile?

• 2. Re: OSX 10.7.4, CS6, Epson 7880

to top the experience off, Advanced Media Control isn't "OFF" with "Ps Manages Colors" -- it gives me sliders

Screen Shot 2012-06-07 at 1.48.01 PM.png

• 3. Re: OSX 10.7.4, CS6, Epson 7880

okay, i figured out Advanced Media Control, what i was actually looking for was Printer Settings> Advanced Color Settings

Epson color management is off there (as expected)

i guess the only thing stumping me now is File> Print> Printer Profile (whar's my Epson profiles?)

can someone please explain the new behavior -- what am I supposed to select there under Photoshop Manages Colors work flow?

• 4. Re: OSX 10.7.4, CS6, Epson 7880
                Geoff the kiwi MVP

The profiles should be here:

Screen Shot 2012-06-08 at 2.56.02 PM.png

Search your Mac with Spotlight for .icc and see what turns up.

• 5. Re: OSX 10.7.4, CS6, Epson 7880

i just installed the Epson 8.66 driver onto my 2011 Macbook Pro 10GB ram (another 5-day-old start from scratch 10.7.4 install, CS6 just installed today)

File> Print> "Photoshop manages colors"> "Printer profile" (also has no Epson profiles available)

also, "send 16-bit data" there is greyed out, too (a 16-bit RGB document is open)

Photoshop CS6, PS13, x64 appears to be unusable/broken under OS-X Lion 10.7.4 and the latest Epson software in the classic Photoshop Manages Colors work flow (Source Space to Print Space) -- seeing is believing.

+++++

Geoff the kiwi, i have little doubt the profiles are installed somewhere as they show up Printer Settings> Basic> Media Types -- but i followed your diagram to the ICCProfiles folder and here is a screenshot what I see:

Screen Shot 2012-06-07 at 8.05.59 PM.png

and here they are searched

Screen Shot 2012-06-07 at 8.10.35 PM.png

• 6. Re: OSX 10.7.4, CS6, Epson 7880
                    Geoff the kiwi MVP

Media types are not profiles, they determine the amount of ink by paper type not colur which profiles do.

If you check my screen shot you will see where they ought to be and the path at the bottom.

I can't see where yours are so ctrl/right click one of the profiles in search to see them in their folder and path. You may need to copy them into the same path as mine. Mine show up and work as expected.

OS10.7.4/Epson 4880 printer/PSCS6

• 7. Re: OSX 10.7.4, CS6, Epson 7880

Geoff the kiwi, i appreciate your interest, i think we can rule out that the Epson profiles are installed and my machine meets Ps requirements:

icc.jpg

and the driver

Screen Shot 2012-06-07 at 9.18.51 PM.png

if it wasn't acting the same on two 5-day-old start-from-scratch installs with all updaters and maintenance ran - i might think i missed something - but i honestly don't know what it could be when Ps> File> Print grays out "Send 16-bit Data" on an sRGB 16-bit Source Profile and no Epson profiles with "Photoshop Manages Colors" selected

i also didn't get the Epson profiles using aRGB and sRGB 8-bit

i can try the 8-core again in the morning, but i don't think it will change from the results i posted this afternoon...

• 8. Re: OSX 10.7.4, CS6, Epson 7880

interesting my 16-bit just ungrayed with the same 16-bit sRGB file i've been testing - still no print profiles though

• 9. Re: OSX 10.7.4, CS6, Epson 7880

and View> Proof Setup: Device to Simulate doesn't have any of the Epson 9880_7880 profiles available

• 10. Re: OSX 10.7.4, CS6, Epson 7880

the Epson profiles are also missing on the Macbook Pro in CS5.5 Ps View> Proof Setup: Device to Simulate AND File> Print> Printer Profile

sigh...

• 11. Re: OSX 10.7.4, CS6, Epson 7880
                              Geoff the kiwi MVP

Of course you have to download the profiles from Epson, sorry I forgot that!!

From this page.

• 12. Re: OSX 10.7.4, CS6, Epson 7880

good idea, i don't use any of those profiles, though

the Epson profiles i do use "Pro9880_7880 PLPP260.icc" have always been installed with the driver, and they appear to be already installed where you pointed me to:

HD> Library> Printers> EPSON> InkjetPrinter2> ICCProfiles> Pro9880_7880.profiles (show package contents)> Contents> Resources: the 55 Epson ICC profiles:

profiles2.jpg

i suspect the 8core has the same folder, same items

the question is why isn't it working (and probably the onus will be on me to call Epson for an explanation who will probably just point the finger at Apple or Adobe because right there they are where their installer puts them)

maybe i will just keep my printing on my 10.4.11 CS5 Mac Pro print server - that setup has worked for several years now, though it would be nice to print out of 10.7/CS6 it isn't worth losing my hair over

• 13. Re: OSX 10.7.4, CS6, Epson 7880

EASY SOLUTION-FIX FOR THE MISSING EPSON ICC PROFILES OSX LION CS6 PHOTOSHOP:

Hard Drive> Library> Printers> EPSON> InkjetPrinter2> ICCProfiles> Pro9880_7880.profiles (show package contents)> Contents> Resources (contains the default OEM Epson ICC Profiles)

Manually drag a "Copy" of the Resources folder into: HD> Library> ColorSync> Profiles

Restart Photoshop (and the Epson profiles appear under Printer Profile drop down menu with "Photoshop Manages Colors" print work flow option selected)

You don't need to install the Epson Common Updater v7.0 for Lion, only the 8.66 Epson driver noted above.

Source: Epson Advanced Product Support (Long Beach), a three-minute phone conversation.

PS:

The grayed "Send 16-bit Data" is documented in my first screen shot (post #1) so it was not my imagination, though it seems to be functiong now.

• 14. Re: OSX 10.7.4, CS6, Epson 7880

EPSON PAGE SETUP STUCK ON ROLL PAPER (trying to print sheet)

in case this can save anyone else the time (i don't recall hitting the problem in previous setups) and Google wasn't hitting the answer

Epson Stylus Pro 7880 printer is set to SHEET, Letter size paper loaded and ready

Photoshop> File> Print> Print Settings> Paper Size: US Letter

PROBLEM: Page Setup is (stuck on) Roll Paper

SOLUTION: YOU NEED TO SELECT: "US Letter Sheet"

that changes Page Setup to "Sheet"

Screen Shot 2012-06-08 at 10.32.06 AM.png

another tip, using a custom print size automatically changes Page Setup to Roll

Source: Epson Advanced Product Support (Long Beach) request, another three-minute phone conversation.

Epson tech support rocks...

• 15. Re: OSX 10.7.4, CS6, Epson 7880

EPSON BORDERLESS PRINTING ZOOMING IN CLIPPING IMAGE

i am posting this in case anyone gets stumped with how Epson appears to have changed its Roll Paper - Borderless (Auto Expand) behavior — it is zooming in too much and severely clipping my image

i am not sure where/when it changed, but i just went back to 10.4.11/CS4 and it printed correctly as i always have

Epson Advanced Product Support (Long Beach) pointed me to File> Print> Print Settings> Roll Paper Settings> Borderless Enlargement Setting (set to "Min" returns the zoom ratio to what i see in my 10.4/CS4 print, except i have a hairline white border along one side of the 10.7/CS6 print)

Border.jpg

my settings for 24x30 borderless print on 24" Epson 7880 printer

Photoshop douument width: 23.8x29.75"

Epson Custom Print Size: 24x30"

Margins: 0

• 16. Re: OSX 10.7.4, CS6, Epson 7880

UPDATING THIS EPSON PROFILES MISSING FOR 10.8.3 MOUNTAIN LION SEARCHES

I just installed 10.8, CS6 from scratch on a late 2011 Macbook Pro and hit the same missing profiles.

Using the solution in my previous correct answer, the profiles appeared in Photoshop print menu.