• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keyboard shortcuts for Tracking and Kerning

Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2012 Jun 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't quite been able to figure out the difference between TRACKING and KERNING.

However, in the meantime, is there a keyboard shortcut I can use to enter tracking in (numerical) with the keyboard?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Option/Alt + left/right arrow changes tracking and kerning in the increment you've set in Preferences > Units & Increments > Keyboard Increments > Kerning/Tracking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I put my cursor between two characters, it says "-12"

I want it to be "100" between these two letters.

CURRENTLY, I have to go DOUBLE click inside the kerning window, select all, and type in " 1 - 0 - 0 " then hit enter

That changes it to 100.

If I click APPLE + right arrow, it becomes 8, then 28, then 48, and never becomes 100.

Help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should also be able to pick 100 from the list that drops down if you click the arrow to the right of the field.

The keyboard shortcut advances the number by the increment value set in the prefs. Evidently you are set to advance in 20/100 ems units. This will never hit any particular value unless it happens to fall on an increment of the original value used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The advantage of the keyboard shortcut is that you can set the kerning and tracking VISUALLY. Unless you have unusual memory, it's hard to know how much tracking between letters by using numeric values.

I usually set the default for keyboard increment to 5/100 ems which gives more precision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And of course if you need exactly 100 you could create a character style

for it.

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have also added:

It's not always "-12" — sometimes it is "-125" — sometimes it is "-20" etc. etc. etc.

I assume this comes from the full justification?

In any event, thanks for the help, everyone! . . . But as near as I can tell, I am simply going to have to keep using the mouse and keyboard to get my uniform "100" between my drop-caps and the text.  THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ceencha wrote:

I should have also added:

It's not always "-12" — sometimes it is "-125" — sometimes it is "-20" etc. etc. etc.

I assume this comes from the full justification?

Could be but there is often some value that the font designer builds into the font for various letter paiers to give them the desired look. Fill a text frame with placeholder text, left aligned, and use the arrow keys to move through it glyph by glyph. You'll see a wide range of values in some fonts, all (0) in some others. Try changing fonts to see the differences.

There is no one specific kerning value that would be correct for all drop caps. Good spacing is dependent on the shapes of the adjacent  characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kerning affect the spacing between a pair of glyphs. Tracking is similar, but is applied to any number of characters. You can use both together to tweak spacing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines