• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Duplication of emails using cfmail

Contributor ,
May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I'm having a problem with cfmail sending out the same email twice. The mailsent.log shows the same emails sent again at exactly the same time to the very second. It's not caused by double-clicking the submit button, it happens with a single click. There are no loops in my code, not even a query or a cfc. It only happens on our prd servers, not our dev server. The main differences is prd uses a multi-instance installation and dev does not, plus dev doesn't have all the hotfixes that prd has.

What could cause CF to send the same email twice within the same second? Someone reported this 4 years ago in this thread but there was no resolution!

Setup: CF8.01 Ent with hotfixes, Win2008 R2, IIS7.5, Microsoft SMTP server.

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 01, 2012 Jun 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BUMP!

To help debug this I'm now generating a big random number at the top of my code and another random number within the cfmail tag itself. Both random numbers are inserted into the email message. If the page is called twice or cfmail is looped you'd expect to see the duplicate emails showing the same random numbers. This has not been the case. All numbers are totally unique. Therefore the page and cfmail is run once only.

Some emails have been sent in triplicate by the way! So something weird is happening outside of my code. CF is logging each duplicate in mailsent.log so it's not the SMTP server at fault.

The code is no more complicated than this after a form post.

<cfif IsDefined("form.email")>

<cfset emailTo="admin@mydomain.com">

<cfset randomID=RandRange(100,1000000,"SHA1PRNG")>

<cfmail to="#emailTo#" from="server@mydomain.com" replyto="#form.email#" subject="Test message" type="html" failto="failedmail@mydomain.com" mailerid="My Special Mailer">

Dear Administrator,<br>

Blah blah...<br><br>

#form.message#<br>

<!--- insert randomID generated outside of cfmail, then insert a random number generated inside cfmail --->

Page ref: #randomID#. Mail ref: #RandRange(100,1000000,"SHA1PRNG")#

</cfmail>

</cfif>

Ignore the weirdly displayed email addresses, this forum keeps turning them into funny links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strip the code down to its most basic, such as below. Does the issue persist?

<cfmail to="admin@mydomain.com" from="server@mydomain.com" replyto="#form.email#" subject="Test message" type="html" failto="failedmail@mydomain.com" mailerid="My Special Mailer">

test mail

</cfmail>

</cfif>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've simplified the code to just the cfmail tag and I still get duplicate emails. I just worked out that it only happens from one of our CF servers. Let's call it server 2. When the pages are served by server 1 then I don't get any duplicate emails. Clearly it's a server specific issue.

Both servers are behind a hardware load balancer using sticky sessions so a visitor will always stay with the same CF server. The servers are identical in terms of hardware, OS, CF version and configuration. The cfm files are on a DFS network share so both servers use the same files.

Why would one CF server send & log the same email several times, but it's twin sister does it once?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2012 Jun 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange. Are you using any form of session replication? Is it possible 2 or more session threads open the action page?

Run the following test. Do you get duplicate log entries? What test values appear in the logs? (I have assumed the form page and action page are not the same. If they are, use <cfparam> instead.)

On the form page:

<cfset session.mailTest = 0>

On action page:

<cfset session.mailtest=session.mailTest+1>

<cflog text="mail test: #session.mailTest#" file="mailTest">

</cfif>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 03, 2012 Jun 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not using session replication, the servers are blissfully unaware of each other's existence and sessions. I tried your test code and got the email in triplicate and a single log entry: "mail test: 1".

Thanks for your time thinking of ideas, BKBK. Any other thoughts please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2012 Jun 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could we have a look at the form page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, here's the actual stripped down page that's causing 2 to 5 duplicaton emails to be sent most of the time, but it only happens on 1 of our servers.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<HTML>
<BODY>

<cfmail to="test@mydomain.com" from="noreply@mydomain.com" replyto="#form.email#" subject="dupe email test" type="html" failto="failedmail@mydomain.com" mailerid="My Special Mailer">
Test email.
<cfoutput>Mail ref:#RandRange(100,1000000,"SHA1PRNG")#</cfoutput>
</cfmail>
Thank you for submitting the form.<br>
<cfelse>
<FORM name="form2" id="form2" method="post" action="samepage.cfm">
<INPUT name="email" type="text" id="email" size="30">
<INPUT name="submitBttn" id="submitBttn" type="submit" value="Submit">     
</FORM>
</cfif>

</BODY>
</HTML>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just bear with me. What is the result when you use the following, even more basic, code?

<cfmail to="test@mydomain.com" from="noreply@mydomain.com" subject="dupe email test">

Test email.

</cfmail>

<cfelse>

<cfoutput><FORM name="form2" id="form2" action="#cgi.script_name#"></cfoutput>

<INPUT name="email" type="text" id="email" size="30">

<INPUT name="submitBttn" id="submitBttn" type="submit" value="Submit">    

</FORM>

</cfif>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BKBK, your code also sends duplicate emails from "server 2". It sounds like you had another idea of what it could be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2012 Jun 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On reading up on the issue, I found that the possible causes could be:

1) Page being requested twice. We have ruled that out(cflog ran once only, session counter not incremented). To be sure, we had to rule out double-clicking, too. Let's do that now.

Does the following code (just a CFM page, no form submission) send duplicate e-mails?

<cfmail to="test@mydomain.com" from="noreply@mydomain.com" subject="dupe email test">

Look, no submit button!

</cfmail>

2) Type="HTML", possibly together with form post from Internet Explorer. We have ruled out e-mail type. Not yet the browser type. Does issue occur with Firefox?

3) Mail server. Open the source file of each e-mail in a set of duplicates. Read off the message IDs. If they are the same, then the mail server is likely causing the issue. If they are distinct, the ColdFusion server is likely causing the problem, as it must have instructed the mail server multiple times to send an e-mail.

4) When a similar issue was discovered in Railo last year, the following workaround seemed to help: spoolenable="no". Hence, I would test with

<cfmail to="test@mydomain.com" from="noreply@mydomain.com" subject="dupe email test" spoolenable="no">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 05, 2012 Jun 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) A plain old cfmail tag without a form post generated duplicate emails.

2) Using Firefox and Chrome also caused duplicate emails. We know the problem only ocurrs when a specific server is being used, other servers don't have this problem.

3) CF is logging each duplicate email in its mailsent.log file so we know the duplication is taking place before mail is sent to the mail servers. The Message-ID in the received duplicate emails is different.

4) After adding spoolenable="no" there was no more duplicate email coming from server 2. (Partial yay!) Does this suggest a bug with CF's spooling system? The golden question is what could be causing this problem to surface on one server but not on any others in the same environment with identical configurations?

Are there any other drawbacks of using spoolenable="no" apart from losing unsent emails if the server crashes before they're sent to the SMTP server?

The server sends bulk mail in another part of the application using cfmail query="myquery", but this has never generated duplicate emails. About 3 million emails a year are sent using this particular method (non-spam I must add!) compared to just 30,000 1-off emails that don't use a query or a loop. I find that quite interesting and wonder if it provides a clue to the cause of the duplication?

Thanks for your help, BKBK. I will disable spooling for the 1-off emails as a temporary fix for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2012 Jun 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds to me like you've got an additional (orphaned) jrun process running on that server.  Sometimes if a CF instance seems to crash, JRun will start it up again, however the original one sometimes also recovers, leaving two CF instances servicing each request.

How many JRun processes have you got running?

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adam. I checked the processes and there's 1x jrun.exe and 1x jrunsvc.exe on each of the CF servers. That's useful info to know but it doesn't look like that's happened here from what I can see.

You've just given me a thought. We used to have problems with CF's MailSpoolService failing so I use a schedule script to check if we have aging unsent mail and if so restart the service. The code to restart is:

<cfset sFactory = CreateObject("java","coldfusion.server.ServiceFactory")>

<cfset MailSpoolService = sFactory.mailSpoolService>

<cfset MailSpoolService.stop()>

<cfscript>sleep(2000);</cfscript>

<cfset MailSpoolService.start()>

Is it possible that there are several mailspool services running if one recovered by itself after dying? As these are Java services and aren't shown in Windows Task Manager is there another way to check?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never had any luck with that tactic... all I ever ended up with is multiple mail spool services running...

That said, this does not really explain the situation you mentioned wherein each mail message had its own unique random number.  CF deals with the random number side of things, the mail spooler just processes the mail.  So if you had one CF process and multiple mail processes, you'd get multiple mail messages with the same CF-generated random number (if that makes sense).

It definitely looks like CF is processing those templates more than once.

Dunno what further to suggest at the moment, but I'm giving it some thought.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam, I probably didn't explain the random number test result properly where a random number is inserted into each cfmail message. Each duplicate of the same email message had an identical random number. This proves CF runs the script once despite multiple emails being created by CF. Otherwise a different random number would be inserted into each email if the script ran more than once.

(Not to be confused with the Message-ID inserted into the email header which is different for each duplication of the same email.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah right.  OK, that points to perhaps multiple mail spooler processes runing, perhaps caused by (or at least not helped by ~) your code above.

Can you get rid of that code, and just restart the CF server that's causing the problem?

I'm guessing (and it's just a guess) that the mail spooler runs as some sort of daemon within the JVM, so restarting CF should get rid.

It sounds like you've got more than one prod box, so this should be OK to test at some stage, shouldn't it?

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I get rid of the code to restart the mailspoolservice then it would mean restarting the whole server if there's a problem. That would mean users losing their sessions and being kicked out and requests being killed. That's not really acceptable and would invoke complaints or support tickets if that happens. As we moved away from CF's session replication we can't seemlessly transfer sessions from one server to another. (Not that CF ever did that seemlessly when we did use session replication!)

The service factory has some other functionality that might reveal info about how many mailspoolservices are running. It's a black art and isn't documented but I found some more args that might help:

http://www.cflib.org/udf/cfMailFactory

As an experiment I'll reboot the "faulty" server tonight and kill the schedule task so the mailspoolservice isn't restarted, then test to see if it duplicates emails.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rebooted server 2, disabled the script that stops/starts the mailspoolservice and got it to send a few emails without the spoolenable="no" setting. So far I've not seen any duplicate emails.

If we've identified the cause of the problem by disabling my schedule script then I need to find a better way of detecting a dead mailspoolservice and restarting it. I played around with the servicefactory and there are no functions that disclose how many instances are running or if there are no instances running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary__F wrote:

I rebooted server 2, disabled the script that stops/starts the mailspoolservice and got it to send a few emails without the spoolenable="no" setting. So far I've not seen any duplicate emails.

If we've identified the cause of the problem by disabling my schedule script then I need to find a better way of detecting a dead mailspoolservice and restarting it. I played around with the servicefactory and there are no functions that disclose how many instances are running or if there are no instances running.

In view of the recent developments, my take on it now is that the cause was a fault in the spooling mechanism. It resulted in each e-mail being spooled twice or more.

I think the server restart (essentially a reset) is a sufficient solution. I would further do nothing with the Mailspoolservice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2012 Jun 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to find a better way of detecting a dead mailspoolservice and restarting it. I played around with the servicefactory and there are no functions that disclose how many instances are running or if there are no instances running.

I wonder if it's possible to set up a second CF instance that simply handles the mail spooling?

Looking @ neo-mail.xml, one could perhaps set the number of mail threads on your prod box to be zero (one cannot set it to zero via the CFAdmin UI), and then on the second instance point its spool dir to be your prod instance's mail dir.  This might cause the prod instance to still write the files to the spool dir, but not try to send them (this is predicated on the spool threads also not having a hand in getting the files to the dir in the first place, I guess), and the second instance will send 'em.  And if the second instance stops working, then it's low-impact to restart it.

Is that an option?

And, hey: I dunno if that'll work, and I don't have the resources here to test it, sorry.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Adam, that's a good idea. Perhaps slightly off the wall but I follow your logic! I could probably script the new instance to reboot itself if emails in the spool dir starts to age. I'll give that a try. Thank you very much.

@BKBK, yes it's the flaky spooling service that's probably running twice. It's a shame it can't be more finely controlled, or at least probed to see how many instances are running before my script restarts it. Thanks for your ideas and tests. I'll give Adam's suggestion a try and see if it works.

My long term goal is to write my own pre-spooling system that puts requests to create a new email into the db so I can control how many at a time get generated by CF. If CF or its spooling service crashes nothing will be lost because the db would track which emails have been generated and sent. It could run as a new CF instance.

I wonder if the mailspoolservice has been updated (made more resilient) in CF9 or CF10? I don't recall any documentation to say that it has been.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary__F wrote:

Setup: CF8.01 Ent with hotfixes ...

On an entirely different note now, which hotfixes did you install (on server 2 in particular)? There were some hotfixes for CF8.0.1 to fix cfmail issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed all hotfixes for 8.01 that addressed cfmail issues. CF Admin tells me there 2 are installed: hf801-00001 and chf8010004. I'm sure I installed more but maybe the little security fixes don't show up on the info page.

I've had several mail related issues over the years with CF; some were fixed using a workaround, others with a hotfix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary__F wrote:

I installed all hotfixes for 8.01 that addressed cfmail issues. CF Admin tells me there 2 are installed: hf801-00001 and chf8010004.

I spotted a problem. ColdFusion hotfixes of these types are cumulative. I do believe that you had to delete the JAR file for hotfix 1 before installing hotfix 4. See Step 6 of the CF8.0.1 hotfix 4 installation notes. In any case, I suppose it is all right to stop ColdFusion, reverse both hotfix 1and hotfix 4 installations, and then reinstall hotfix 4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation