• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

converting illustrator file to corel draw file

Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2012 Jun 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all I need some serious help here theres this client of mine who accepts work only in corel draw format n I have tried importing expanding and saving saving in different formats etc but nothing seems to work I have a lot of artwork with drow shadow transparency clipping mask and objects filled with patterns I made these are the effects I find extremely difficult to import in corel draw pls suggest me a possible solution working half in illustrator n half in corel draw is annoyingly time consuming. regards Aishwarya

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Find out what version of Draw your client uses. Go to Corel's site and find out the latest version of AI it opens.

Consider buying a copy of Draw, especially if you value this customer. Corel usually has quite attractive competitive side-grades.

You should rejoice in such a situation. It's an opportunity to become proficient in more than just AI. Always a good thing to be more versatile.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear JET, I was working with Corel Draw before, but I have been using Illustrator since I realised that my system works better with Illustrator. Now for future purposes, using Corel Draw for this particular client is not a problem, but I have a of  projects which I have already done and I don't want to do the entire thing again in Corel Draw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would you expect to have to do "the whole thing over again"?

If you already have  both programs, it should be quite simple to check which versions of one program can be opened by the other.

You simply cannot expect miracles in this. Neither of the two programs understands 100% of the native constructs of the other. And without knowing the details of the content of the file(s) in question, no one can give you specific advice. But since you have both programs and the file(s) in question, you should be able to simply try it.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2012 Jun 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

could you tell me how do I find out what all versions of Illustrator my Corel Draw version will open. I went to corel.com & coreldraw.com and could'nt find any option there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been years since I done this.

Delete drop shadows and transparecny effects. Save .ai down to .ai8 then import in Corel.

Corel >> Import >> PS Interpreted

If you dont want to create tranaprency, you will have to save as press ready .pdf and import a mess(in regards to layers/groups).

The post below makes it sound easy, so try this. Though they do nto mention what verions of softwares used

http://coreldraw.com/forums/p/29781/140716.aspx#140716

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're lucky, your client has Draw X5 or higher. That one can open Illustrator CS4 fairly well. Nevertheless it might be necessary to edit the file. So you might like to follow JET's advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my client has a Corel Draw x4 version and I have Illustrator CS5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestions guys. After much trial and error, I found out a solution myself. For the other readers-here's what I did, in the illustrator file, do object>flatten transparency, object>expand, then object>path>clean up ( if necessary). You can also convert the text to outsides, if need be, then save the file as pdf, uncheck embed option, then just import/open the file in corel draw as a pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After much trial and error, I...flatten transparency...expand...clean up...convert the text to outsides [outlines]...save the file as pdf, uncheck embed option [?]...import/open the file in corel draw...

In other words, you went through a bunch of steps (most of which would be performed by simply Save As... or Save A Copy... (exporting) from Illustrator as a PDF anyway, which effectively "dumb down" the AI-native constructs to more generically-understood constructs (a kind of "lowest-common-denominator" approach).

That methodology is neither generally applicable to others with similar needs, nor is it best practice. It circumvents much of the whole purpose of programs having dedicated import/export filters for specific competitive programs. For example, the most obvious detail is that of converting all your text to paths. Why would you do that? That hugely debilitates editability in the destination program.

In other words, there's good reason why Corel goes to great lengths to write and update Draw's import filters for the AI file formats current at the time of release of each version of Draw. When you take such a blunderbuss approach, you may very well be needlessly creating more work for yourself.

Try the methods prescribed by the softwares first. Evaluate the results. That will clue you in as to what kinds of objects don't translate well, and what needs to be done to restore the translated version to maximum editability. If the original file is not full of highly esoteric software-specific "special unique" constructs, using the supplied import/export filters will often result in clean, near-perfect translation.

Since you have both programs, finding out which formats can be translated is a simple matter of looking at the import/export formats and settings that are available in the programs' export/import dialogs. Also, search for "Import" and "Export" in the programs' provided documentation.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now having both Corel Draw and Illustrator is an advantage for sure. Do you think I did'nt make use of having this advantage????? I tried out all the methods listed in this forum, including saving as pdf, importing/exporting in various formats (none of which worked in my case). I am not preaching an universally correct method, I am just sharing with the readers what method worked for me. May be just importing/exporting in various formats might work out, but it did not in my case

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2014 Jun 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That sounds simple enough--until you send the PDF to a print shop that has Corel, and it screws up your PDF.

It's never as simple as "Save As" when bumping to another program and it's a waste of time to recreate a design in every conceivable design software printers/publishers may have. There's Adobe, Corel, Serif and Open Office. And who can forget MS Publisher!?!  At some point, you just have to figure out the tweaks that make a file work when exporting into another software, and do your primary design in the one you're comfortable with.

I realize that you have a workflow you're comfortable with. "Busting Aishwaria's chops" for doing things differently, however, is not helpful to him or to those of us looking for an answer to the same question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines