• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

An error occurred while trying to read data from...

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2012 Jun 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm getting this error repeatedly in more than one project.  It happens when i click Save a topic.  It also happened when I tried to create a new folder in the Project Files, and then i could not create the new folder.  I'm using RoboHelp HTML 9.2.  I did try moving the project files off the network drive and into my local C:/ drive, but still get the error.

Are there any known cures?

RoboHelp Error.JPG

Thank you,

Sherry

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Don't run projects from the network in the first place! Sorry but it has always been a dangerous practice.

How to fix it? Try deleting the project's CPD file and then reopen the project.

The problem is you may have corrupted the project irretrievably.

Is there a reason for having the project on the network without source control? If it is an IT requirement, see Snippets on my site for arguments you can put to them.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, deleting the CPD file pretty much wiped out the project; there are no topics in the project files.

There’s no reason the files have to be on the network, I can move them. However, moving them to the C drive doesn’t seem to correct the error.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thank you, Peter.

Sherry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will if you hadn't damaged the project by running it from the network drive. Your only option now is to recreate it by building a fresh project in your c:\projects\project_name\ folder and carefully re-import each topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s like 150 pages in each of five projects! Is there no other way?

And also, when I click the File/Import HTML link in a new project, I’m getting this error:

I’ve been getting that error for a very long time, especially trying to generate the printed document output.

Sherry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter may have another suggestion to repair the project. I don't have any experience repairing projects.

BTW - your screenshot didn't make it into your post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about the picture.  Here it is:

RoboHelp Error2.JPG

Sherry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, no idea where that's coming from. Are you all patched up to date?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Close the project throwing that error.

See Item 14 at http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm

Also delete the CPD file.

Then reopen the project and try again.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter,

Deleting the CPD file deleted all the topics when I re-opened the project.

Sherry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will see the topics are still there in Windows Explorer. What has happened is that the root.fpj file that you showed in your first post was corrupt because it was on the network. Now it cannot rebuild the new CPD in the normal way.

Personally I would be creating a new project and importing stuff from your old project.

You can import all the topics in a single folder in one go, you don't have to import topic by topic.

There is information on my site about rebuilding broken projects.

Provided you new project is local, you should be OK.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thanks Peter.

I have started rebuilding a new project. I did figure out that I can import multiple topics. But still have to re-build the TOC manually and add topics? I started running the Index Wizard… don’t know how that’s going to work out but surely it’s faster than manually adding keywords for 150 pages?

Sherry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems my reply didn't come through. So sorry if I will double post later on 🙂

Don't go rebuilding just yet. It's fairly easy to recreate the root.fpj. Can you zip up the project and send it to contact [at] wvanweelden [dot] eu? I'll see if the root.fpj is the only problem and whether I can fix it.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

That's a bummer, but understandable if your root.fpj has become corrupted. Try opening root.fpj with notepad. What do you see?

It should be an XML file listing all the topics in the root and all the folders in your root. Don't panic, it's relatively easy to fix (if that is all that is corrupted that is.)

Can you zip up your project and send it to contact wvanweelden eu? I'll take a look to see whether I can repair it.

Greets,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello William,

Thank you for the offer of assistance, but since this is a government project with some potentially sensitive material, I’m not at liberty to make it available. But thanks again for offering!

Actually, it has imported into a new project quite nicely… the only thing I’m not crazy about is building the index… I’ll have to work on that some more.

Thanks,

Sherry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah well. Can’t you just copy paste the content of the old index file (.hhk if I’m not mistaken) into the new index file. Close Robo, copy the contents, trash CPD and open project. I think it might work, but it is at least worth a try. (Make a backup first!)

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be more than the index that has been lost. That is why I pointed to Opening Projects on my site as it covers the cheats for recovering everything that can get broken in this situation. If the files needed are also broken, they could likely be recovered from a backup. Please don't tell me you were running on a network and the project was not being backed up.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2012 Jun 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, William

That worked nicely, to copy the HHK content, thank you! I wonder if I can copy the TOC the same way?

Sherry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can. Also check out Peter's article with more tips and tricks.

Greets,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sherry

I have twice pointed you to Opening Projects. Immediately above the heading "Tricks" it tells you how to recover any TOCs, Indexes and Glossaries using the RoboHelp interface.

It's as simple as creating a new TOC etc, ticking the Copy option and browsing to the appropriate file in your damaged project or a backup taken earlier. No cutting and pasting.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Peter.  I’ve been to www.grainge.org several times.  Am I on the wrong website?  Because I don’t see “Tricks” or “Opening Projects”  I did find the Snippets with an explanation of how to deal with the “Wrong Parameters” error, though.  This is what I see on your website:

Peter Grainge Website.jpg

Thank you,

Sherry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are dropdown menus, hover over RoboHelp to see the one you needed.

Here's a direct link to it.

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/opening/opening_projects.htm

Tricks is a heading on that page.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thanks. I did see that page. On looking through it, I didn’t spot anything right off that was applying to my current problem. I’ll have a closer look.

Thanks again,

Sherry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As I said, what you want is immediately above the heading Tricks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp