2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 11, 2012 2:53 AM by Vivek03 RSS

Not able to open Pdf's on web browser on Win2k8 R2 64 bit

Vivek03

Hi,

I have an application which generates reports which can be viewed both as html and pdf. When trying to view the report on pdf mode, one popup is displayed with buttons save,open and cancel. I want reports to get displayed directly on browser with out this pop up. Also this pop up is not coming in 32 bit machine. I have checked this behaviour with adobe 9.4.0 and adobe 10.1.3 on 64 bit machine. The behaviour is shown in both firefox and IE9, however IE8 does not show the popup but reports deosn't disply in browser (they get displayed in pdf viewer seperetly).

I have tried all the setting available in adobe reader (set default pdf handler, display pdf in browser) but nothing is working here.

Can anyone please provide me some help on this....

Thanks,

Vivek

• 1. Re: Not able to open Pdf's on web browser on Win2k8 R2 64 bit
          pwillener ACP/MVPs

Adobe Reader is a 32-bit application, and so is the browser plugin; it will not work on a 64-bit browser, instead it will open in the standalone Reader application.  So you can only view PDF documents inline in the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer.

However, you also mentioned Firefox; you cannot view the PDF docs inline in the 32-bit Firefox?

• 2. Re: Not able to open Pdf's on web browser on Win2k8 R2 64 bit
            Vivek03 Community Member

Thanks for your reply Pat !!!!!

On 64 bit machine, IE has both 32 & 64 bit versions and I think the default one is 32 bit version. so what do you mean by "So you can only view PDF documents inline in the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer." ?

My target here is to open the pdf reports inline in the IE so I would like to know if there is any way I could use 32 bit IE on 64 bit machine to view pdf's inline in the IE.

BTW I already pointed IE to 32 bit and 64 bit iexplorer.exe (\program files(x86)\... & program files\...) by changing exe location in properties->TargetName but I did not get any luck...

Also Please do let me know if there is any way in IE9 to restrict the pop up that downloads the pdf.

Thanks,

Vivek

Message was edited by: Vivek03