Jun 06, 2012 Jun 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have

- Flash player (11.2.202.235)

- Firefox (13.0, as of this morning)

- (64 bit) Windows 7 Professional

Flash no longer works (in IE or Firefox, fine in Chrome) - I don't know if this happened as the result of an update. I have tried uninstalling Flash (and Firefox), deleting the contents of the various Flash-related folders, and re-installing, but to no avail. After installing Flash player again, this page:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/completion/aih/?exitcode=0

briefly shows some Flash once, but if I return to it this no longer works, there's just a blank space that's eventually replaced with a banner ad.

Anyone got any tips as to how to get this running again?

Thanks,

Toby

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad someone else is having the same issue.  I thought I was going crazy!  The odd thing about it is that some pages with flash work while others that worked the day before the Firefox 13.0 update do not.  Just an ampty space where the flash should be. 

I'm on XP sp3 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought it was all Flash, but I've just checked and I can see some Flash too. I can see the Flash on this page:

http://www.flashexample.com

but not this one:

http://magazine.toyota.co.uk/#/home

how about you?

I wonder if it's related to how the Flash is added to the page?

Toby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's backwards for me. I CAN see http://magazine.toyota.co.uk/#/home but NOT http://www.flashexample.com.

But, I think you're right about how it might be related to how the flash is embedded on the page.  I can see all the videos on YouTube but none of the ones from this page http://www.rtideas.com/flash/.  It's like the Flash object isn't being loaded for some reason.  I can't even right click in the space where the flash should be.

Everything works fine on Chrome.

Anyone else having this issue or have an idea of how to correct this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took a look at this on a Lenovo W500 running Win7 x64 SP1  and Flash Player 11.2.200.235, and I'm unable to reproduce the problem on either of the sites listed above.

There are two reasons that I think this might be happening:

1.) Your system is low on memory.  Flash Player will silently exit if it doesn't have enough memory to clean up, and sees that it's going to run out.

To test this, reboot.  If the issue persists after reboot, it's not resource-related.

2.) There's something up with hardware acceleration.  You can test this by disabling hardware acceleration.

Right-Click on a SWF

Choose Settings

Click the Left-Most tab

Uncheck Enable Hardware Acceleration

If the problem goes away, make sure you have the latest video card drivers installed.

If the issue perists after that, please file a bug here: http://bugbase.adobe.com

Please include the output of dxdiag (Start > Run > dxdiag) in the bug.

Finally, there's a public beta of Flash Player 10.3 available for download.  It would be interesting to know if you're seeing this problem on that version as well.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplatformruntimes/flashplayer11-3/

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 07, 2012 Jun 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today is has (magically) started working again, no idea why though?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2012 Jun 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is for me, too!  that's so weird! 

I did get a message saying that Mozilla ActiveX control and plugin support 1.0.0.4 was blocked.  Maybe that was causing the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I got the automatic update to Firefox 13 yesterday.  There's a good chance you were automatically upgraded overnight.  (You can check in About > Firefox for the version)

It would be interesting to know if the problem you're seeing is caused by a disabled add-on.  You can check by looking under Tools > Add-Ons > Extensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

I tried to put the new update to flash player into firefox 12 .. it wouldn't install. updated firefox to 13. flash player still won't install. I had flash player before in 12.

Now I have no flash in firefox!  don't know if older version would work.. but the list of older versions don't specify ie9 or firefox???

Hope adobe fixes this. I called them but they want $39 to help me. ... and it sounds like it is their program that is the problem.!

jt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash player definitely works in Firefox.  We test it extensively.

Here's a good troubleshooting guide:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html

If you're still stuck after that, make sure that you don't have any firefox extensions (flashblock, etc) running that might interfere with your ability to run Flash content.  Having JavaScript enabled is also generally required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a last ditch troubleshooting step, creating a new profile seems to help many users.

Make a new profile

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2012 Jun 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Chris:

Yes, turning off Protected Mode indeed solves the problem!

Specifically, we today (June 9, 2012) installed the new Adobe Flash v. 11.3.300.257 on several Windows 7 PC's, all running Firefox v. 14 (Beta), and none of the Firefox installations would confirm that the installation was performed successfully.  For example, the Adobe Flast test/about site, https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about, would not work.  And, likewise, YouTube videos and other Flash-encoded videos did not work either.

So, we tried your suggestion to disable the new Protected Mode, and it worked.  That is, every single machine on which Flash did not work in Firefox now functions perfectly.  So this conclusively demonstrates that there indeed is some kind of bug in the implementation of Protected Mode.

Can you please let me and the other Adobe users know when this is fixed.  Thanks.

Also, could you likewise let us know the risks of turning of Protected Mode (although we really don't have any choice, as Flash will not work on Firefox with PM turned on).

Thank you.  Much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Evan Katz

(formerly Contributing

Editor of  Personal

Computing Magazine)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2012 Jun 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S.  You can learn how to turn off Protected Mode at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1018071?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2012 Jun 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just followed the instructions to turn off Protected Mode.  This seems to have worked and Flash is now working with Firefox - so far.  But I can't believe that I am expected to go into the system and make this kind of change.  Surely Adobe should be moving heaven and earth to put this right.  How can they release an update which causes this kind of incompatibility problem and then expect the pc user to have to put in some code which makes the system less secure, as a workaround? A google search will soon highlight how many people are suffering from this and, I would suggest, that a very high percentage of them would not be willing to trawl through the Adobe forum and then make changes to their own pc to make it less secure.

Please can Adobe let us know when this will be resolved and I can return my pc to its previous more secure state?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2012 Jun 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also having this problem only since the latest flash player update with firefox (I updated to 13 after the problem started to see if that would fix it) win7 64.  First noted the issue with Pandora; however even the flash player information home page were not displaying the flash content (flash player was crashing, noted two instances of it in task manager). 

I can confirm that disabling protected mode gets it working again, but as I understand it disabling protected mode is just a temporary troubleshoot; so I am wary of leaving protected mode off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2012 Jun 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if this post by John6060 helps: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4481619#4481619

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Evan,

Thanks for the feedback.  We see the intermittent crashes on Firefox 13 and the issue you're experiencing with Firefox 14.0b6 as distinct issues.  We're investigating both avenues actively, but have been unable to reproduce either problem. 

I'm running Firefox 14.0b6, and Flash Player 11.3.300.257 and I'm not seeing any problems.  I ran our URL loading stress suite over the weekend on FF13 and 11.3.300.257 (it loads a few hundred flash-heavy URLs in a loop every 30 seconds), and it was still running this morning when I walked in.  We have several people looking into the issue now, but none of us are seeing the issue.

It would be helpful to understand more about your configuration and the upgrade workflow you used.

1.) What OS and version are you running (32 or 64-bit)?

2.) Do you have any  security, malware or virus scanners installed?

3.) What active Firefox plug-ins do you have installed?

4.) Did Firefox log any crashes when Flash Player failed to run?  (These would typically be logged under C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Crash Reports\<pending|sumbitted>, and timestamped appropriately)

It would be great to get those logs.  Feel free to PM me, and I'll give you my email address, or add them to a bug at http://bugbase.adobe.com/ and post the bug number.

5.) Did you download Flash Player from the Adobe Product Download Center, then run the installer (install_flashplayer11x32_mssd_aih.exe), or did you do something else?  Also, were you forced to exit firefox before the installation could complete?

6.) Is there anything else you can think of that might be unique about your configuration that we might want to try and replicate?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2012 Jun 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash definitely does not work after the Firefox 13 update and most recent Flash update - Youtube is now dead, and the only way I have been able to view anything is by restarting the PC but even then I get to watch one item then Flash stops working again. It does work in Chrome so you obviously have a compatibility issue with the most recent version of Firefox. The fact that this forum is suggesting disabling protected mode as a temp answer to Flash/Firefox compatibility proves Adobe knows they have a problem, maybe their time would be better spent creating a fix rather than denying the problem exists?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still having this issue. Those flash sites mentioned above, I've found that, just as said, one works while the other does not. However, that site that it does work on seems to be the exception, not the rule. It's the only flash I've found that does work.

Also, unlike some of these people, I know EXACTLY when my flash stopped working. I was streaming the DOTA 2 competitions online when the update box came up, encouraging me to update. I put it off for an hour or two, then ran the suggested update, right at the beginning of a match I was very interested in. Well, at the end of the update, Adobe wanted me to reset Firefox, so I did. When I went back to the site, I could no longer stream. I'm fairly computer oriented, growing up in a geek home, so it didn't take me more then 5 minutes to figure out the source of the issue. Upon checking flash on a few other sites, I knew the problem was universal.

I immediately uninstalled 11.3 it and reinstalled the previous version, 11.2.200.235. The flash then worked perfectly again and all was well. This was the 8th I believe.

Well, like an idiot, while doing something else, the update suggestion came up about an hour ago and I allowed it to update. I assumed that this previous issue had been universal, so naturally this was a new update that wouldn't have to problem. Oh, how wrong I was. Exactly the same problem has returned. In an effort to correct the problem, as I did before, I tried to resort to a previous version of flash. However, since a few days have past, I can no longer FIND that version. And I am not a happy camper.

I want to that site, where the one flash works, and disabled the accelloration thing in the settings (it should be noted that, for the before mentioned site where flash won't load, you CAN'T right click to get to settings, because there is just a white, empty screen. Right clicking doesn't do anything). I then looked for anything else that might be a problem (for example, I gave the system unlimited data storage).

Also, I am running Firefox 13, just as I was BEFORE your flash update. It was working just fine. Yes, I am sure of that.

No, I don't have any issues with my physical memory space, I have plenty, so that sure isn't the issue either.

Please, figure out what the heck your update screwed up in Firefox and fix it. In the meantime, please send me a copy of the 11.2.200.235 update, so I can actually function again. I know 11.3 has security hole fixes (yes, I read up on it). Screw the "fixes," I just want to be able to use my internet again! I have things I need to get done. Thank you for your product, we are all very grateful for it. However, it is a major problem for me when it stops working suddenly. In the meantime, I have to use Chrome, which I don't prefer, as all my settings are in Firefox.

Thank you for your time, as well as your quick reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since that message, I have also tried:

Restarting Firefox (didn't work, as would be expected, due to it not being Firefox's fault)

Disabling my flash blocker (didn't work, would still have been unhappy if it has, as I like flash blocker)

Diabling protective mode:  forums.adobe.com/thread/1018071?tstart=0

I've been unable to make this work. I found mentioned folder for Windows 64bit, but only had 3 folders:

FlashInstall.log

FlashUtil64_11_3_300_257_Plugin.exe

NPSWF64_11_3_300_257.dll

Upon clicking on the blue "mms.cfg.zig" Firefox opened a window, which asked which file to open the file with. If I select

Firefox, it will do the same thing again, just opening another window and asking the same question. However, if I select to open it

with notepad, I see only the following:

PK        {¤È@        .  mms.cfg (Ê/IM.IMñÍOIµ5  PK. ‡ §         PK          {¤È@‡ §         .           mms.cfgPK      5   F

(Text only in appearance)

If I try to save this file into the folder, it will tell me:

mms.cfg already exists.

Do you want to replace it?

I have check for any hidden files and have been unable to locate any in this folder, so I'm rather confused. Any way you look at it

though, as mentioned before, I'm no ok with getting un update that requires me to manually undo to security protection it was

supposed to upgrade me to. Not ok with it at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brian,

You can find archived versions of Flash Player here; however, we don't recommend that users roll back because Flash Player updates usually include fixes for known security issues.

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html

The alternative is to disable ProtectedMode temporarily -- Chris's earlier post in this thread includes instructions on how to do that.

More importantly, we want to get this fixed.  Unfortunately, it works fine on our test machines.  Anything you can tell us about your config (see my post to Evan above) would be super helpful in helping us build out a machine that allows us to debug the issue.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2012 Jun 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody cares that Flash works on Adobe's test machines; why was it so hard to convince you that this problem is real and affecting thousands of people? And if you need to duplicate the problem so that you can debug it, why can't you just walk next door to Starbuck's and shout out "anybody having trouble with Flash and Firefox?" You'll definitely get a lot of "over here!"

I'm guessing that this will ultimately be related to some obscure setting in the Firefox configuration, and the default setting messes things up, and that your test machines are all configured the same and they have modified that obscure setting. Why would you not just build a new Windows 7 machine and install Firefox 13 with all the defaults? I can pretty much guarantee that would allow you to duplicate the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash is broken for me again, same as before - very frustrating. It actually only worked for a day.

Toby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 64bit (Home Premium)

Firefox 13

Yesterday everything was fine, today started machine and was prompted with an Adobe update. Was previously on 11.2.202.235 (fine) now on the latest version 11.3.300.257 now have problems.

Firstly youtube videos are actually viewable, until you press play and you recieve the  "An error occurred. Please Try again later." message appears. Other video sites like twitch.tv are just white blank boxes, some other random sites display the videos but when you press play, you then get the white blank box. Also as noted above some Flash seems to work as shown above www.flashexample.com also some Speed test sites that utilise flash just give errors.

I tried Internet Explorer; everything works fine, Google chrome; everything appears fine. I tried Firefox in Safemode and the problem is still present. So from my perspective it seems it's either a compatibility issue of Firefox with the latest update, or vice versa.

I also found this thread on Firefox support section and matty_m (9th post down) found some interesting observations, it thats relevant or helpful at all to any employees here. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2485319

Obviously I'd like the issue resolved, well duh yea everyone does! However it would be nice if the previous version was available to reinstall (11.2.202.235) buts it's not present on the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback.

Do you have Win7 Service Pack 1 installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines