Our opinion is, that customer will just download app and will never download content. Don't have any better so far.
that is the most biggest problem with multi folio apps. there should be
initial content included to provide a sense of the content without the need
to download a 1-gig-folio and wait for half an hour before seeing any
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my query. I appreciate all opinions. The following points however make this case slightly more confusing…
- The App in question contains a single folio
- The folio is only 445 MB on the iPad 3
- The folio is FREE to download
- The folio is a Magazine that already has an established readership in print.
Based on the above, I find it hard to believe that of the 1042 who downloaded the App, well over 600 neglected to download the FREE folio.
Any other suggestions would be welcomed!
I'm definitely not an expert in this area, but keep in mind:
1) Users may start your app downloading then move on to other things and forget about it. I know I've done this with apps numerous times.
2) They may see they have to download the free folio, start the download, navigate away from the app, and then forget about it. I believe this is what Johannes means when he says it's the "biggest problem" with multi-folio apps.
3) We'll only report a folio download once the full folio has been downloaded. It's possible that your users are starting the folio download, viewing the folio as soon as enough has come down to open it (but not the full folio), then leaving the app. If they don't continue the download that partial download won't be reflected in your totals.
I'm curious then. So this is a Multi-issue App, with one folio (magazine included) Does the initial App not count as a download in the DPS analytics? If not then I agree with Neil, I think lots of people download the App "shell" then - which downloads really quickly, then they see they have another big chunky thing to download, so do'nt bother even if it's free! I have!!
The DPS analytics don't count download of the app as a download. We have no way of knowing when the app is downloaded, that's something Apple tracks.
What happens with single issue then? I havent looked at my analytics data for a while now, so is it just articles etc, I was sure there was an overall download figure in there! I'm off to check :-)
Let me know what you find out. I'm not sure how we handle it for SE