Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Robohelp 9 Project Multiple Authors

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2012 Jun 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning everyone,

I need some general advice on allowing multiple authors work on the same project file. I'm currently working on a project with one parent project, and two child projects. The parent project will be used to generate printed documentation, and adobe air browser based help sites.

What is the best way to host the project files so multiple authors can work with the project files. Is this possible? If so what is the best way to allow this?

Thanks for any advice,

Jerry

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If everyone needs to work on the same project, then Source Control is your only answer. If you're divided up enough that only one author works on a particular project at a time, then you can avoid source control with some coordination. But that doesn't sound like your case. Source Control allows authors to check out the project so that they work on it on their local c: drive and then check it back in when finished to a central repository.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff,

Currently, I do have the project split where coordinating the effort is the key, but in the future I'll need to actually allow multiple authors in the parent project.

What is a best practice for truly merging two child project into one parent? I may need to fuse these two together in the future, in leui of just using a parent project to read the two TOCs.

Thanks again,

Jerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, no real idea as I don't work with merged projects - check Peter Grainge's site www.grainge.org<http://www.grainge.org> for info on merging projects & I seem to remember a thread recently about "unmerging" in the forum. Try searching for that one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

While you only need one author accessing any project at any one time, having them work on separate projects and re-amalgamating them before generating is fine. As soon as you need more than one author working on a project at the same time, source control is your only option.

I am not sure what you mean by

What is a best practice for truly merging two child project into one parent? I may need to fuse these two together in the future, in leui of just using a parent project to read the two TOCs.

A merged project is a parent and children so what do you mean by "truly merge"? Do you mean make them into one project? If so you have import the content of one project into another.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp