Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GoPro Video Format Supported Well?

Engaged ,
Jun 12, 2012 Jun 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all.

I was wondering how well Premiere Pro would handle the GoPro HERO2 video format.

The GoPro specs page simply say that it's "H.264 codec, .MP4 file format" and lists various resolution possibilities (e.g. 1080p @ 30 FPS; 720p @ 60 or 30 FPS).

They also CineForm Studio software that claims it will "Convert GoPro H.264 MP4s into editor friendly CineForm AVI or MOV files". Not sure what CineForm AVI is....

So I was just wondering what everybody's experience with GoPro video was. Can I just grab it off the SD card and edit it? Or should I convert it to AVI first with their software?

FYI, I currently use Premiere Elements for DV-AVI editing. Looking to get a GoPro camera for my son and upgrade to Premiere Pro...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have one saved link to read - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/974052

I would say try it "as is" first, convert with CineForm if needed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link, John.

That post was dealt with Premiere Elements, and I got the impression that Premiere Pro handled things much differently (meaning "better") than Elements did, with more options and flexibility in dealing with source material.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... maybe... I have also read comments from people who say that PreElements does better with "consumer" video as compared to "professional" video

So, as I said, the best I can say is try it and see... I can't remember any comments about CS6 and GoPro, so only have that one saved link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks John.

Anybody else have any war stories - good or bad - with GoPro and CS6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should work just fine. Download the 30 day free trial and see for yourself:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=premiere_pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's been plenty of bad in the past.  The issue is that GoPro cameras typically do not record using standardized formats.  PP is designed around standard formats.  Other formats often work perfectly fine (I have several Internet downloads that PP has absolutely no trouble with, including a Divx file), but you do take you chances with a camera that records video in a non-standard format.

You may want to rent or borrow the camera and test it's media on your system with the PP trial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I own a GoProHero2 and it edits just fine with CS6.

If your machine is a bit on the lean side you can convert the mp4 to Cineform avi's with Cineform Studio (freeware).

Cineform is a visually lossless codec and edits very well. I like it a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm definitely going to get Premiere Pro (actually the suite with Premiere in it). The question is whether to get the GoPro Hero2.

@Jim Simon - just for my education... the specs say it records in "H.264 codec, .MP4 file format"... are you saying that's not a standardized format, or are you saying GoPro is doing something odd that they can still claim h.264/.mp4 but also be a non-standard format? Or is GoPro's use of the h.264/.mp4 standard something recent?

@Ann Bens - that is great to know! So it sounds like the recorded video should work as-is, but just in case I can always convert to Cineform AVI and that would be a good Plan B?

Also, FWIW, my machine is an home-built box with i7-2600 CPU, 16GB memory, Win7/64-bit, and plenty of 7200RPM 6Gbps SATA drive space, so I'm hoping that will give me a good experience. I have not done RAID drives, and I don't have a separate video card (just using the Intel HD 2000 graphics). I have my eye on the new nVidia GTX 680 card should that prove necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>nVidia GTX 680 card

I didn't save a link 'cause I'm not in the market... but over in the hardware sub-forum I read a recent discussion that the 670 gives a better "bang for the buck" based on cost and performance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, John.

After doing a little digging, that 670 looks like a pretty nice card -  very close in performance to the 680, but cheaper and uses less power.

I'm hoping the Intel HD 2000 graphics will perform OK for what I'm doing, but if not, I think you might have just saved me $100.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"H.264 codec, .MP4 file format"... are you saying that's not a standardized format

That's what I'm saying.  There are a lot of variables when it comes to H.264.  Standardization fixes or limits those variables to just a few acceptable parameters.  So when you shoot AVCHD or AVC-I, you're using the H.264 codec, but in a very specific way.  Cameras that don't adhere to those specifications may still work, but you do sometimes take your chances that it won't.

According to Ann, though, it works just fine in this case, so it's kind of a moot point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 13, 2012 Jun 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when you shoot AVCHD or AVC-I, you're using the H.264 codec, but in a very specific way.

Ah. I didn't know that. I've been doing this editing thing for a while, and I still don't understand the vagaries of the various formats - it's like the Tower of Babel. Depsite all of the "standards", it sometimes seems like the only thing that's standard is that nothing is standard!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ed,

The various camera mfgrs. seem to want to KEEP it a "Tower of Babel," and will constantly tweak things. As Jim points out, too many do not do things in a standard way. One can never keep up with it all. Same holds true for mfgrs. tweaking MJPEG, to suit their purposes, wrapping H.264 in AVI, etc.. The landscape seems to change a bit, almost every quarter.

Sometimes, those deviations from standards still work OK, but sometimes, it takes a company, such as Adobe, a moment to "catch up," and they can never stay current on every variation.

No one user knows it all, and never will. The best that someone can do, is just as you have done - post to the CS 6 Forum, and ask, hoping that someone, like Ann, has used the program, with the specific footage, and can offer advice.

Glad to see that you are moving to CS 6. I think that you will love it. Do drop by the old PrE Forum, from time to time, just to say Hi! Also, thank you for your input over the years. That has helped many.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Hunt, didn't know you lurked in the Pro forums, although I should have suspected!

Thanks for the kind words, although my contributions are miniscule compared with the huge amount of help you've provided over the years! But at least the pay is good!

Yeah, making the move to Pro. Been meaning to for a while, but even with the significant educational pricing it's still a steep investment. My son has really been bitten by the video bug, so we're going to put together a nice package for his birthday with the GoPro, CS6 Production suite, and maybe the Autodesk suite (Maya, 3ds Max).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

>educational pricing it's still a steep investment

Before I retired from WaStateU I bought CS5 MC for "about" 25% of retail... no need for CS5.5 and now still thinking about CS6... I think the upgrade $$ from CS5 is "about" the same as the full Education version (which, of course, I no longer qualify to buy)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only get CS6 but get a GoPro also.

Its a nifty little device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only get CS6 but get a GoPro also. Its a nifty little device

Thanks for the recommendation, Ann. My son has been salivating over the GoPro for a while - we wanted to get him the GoPro + CS6 combo for his birthday and I wanted to make sure it would all work together. It's nice to know it does!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines