• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Consolidation-Locked] Nikon D800 - No Camera Detected

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2012 Jun 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im trialing Lightroom 4 with my new Nikon D800 with the possiblility of purchasing this software if this its going to work. When I connect my D800 it says "no camera detected". Is there a patch or something missing from the software? Can't believe a new Camera like this has an isse. Or is it just me 😉

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 18, 2012 Oct 18, 2012

Tethered shooting with the Nikon D800 is now supported with Lightroom 4.2.

Please see http://forums.adobe.com/message/4431233

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tethering, right?

It isn't supported, and it isn't claimed to be supported (yet).

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/tethered-camera-support-lightroom-4.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. Yes Tethering, do you know why its not supported and the D700 is? Will it be an update or something? If so, how long does that sort of thing take to make it work? I did manage to tether the pics across into lightroom through this third party (freeware)  http://www.mountainstorm.co.uk but I really did want to just keep it simple and just use Lightroom 4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, the D800 is a new camera, and information about that camera isn't in the Nikon software development kit (SDK) yet. Until it is, Adobe cannot add tethering to Lightroom. None of us here would know when/if tethering support will be provided for that camera. The few that know are under a nondisclosure agreement. So, you will get tethering support when it comes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim, well there must be a hell of a lot of disappointed Nikon owners out there, I think the D4 is also in same boat. Some one is obviously being slack.  Being cameras from Nikons top shelf for professional photography makes me wonder how in this highly technological day this can happen. I'm a novice photographer and I can only imagine that the professional photographers must be really put out by this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The SDK only became available from Nikon during the release cycle (middle of April, I think).  It could be added to LR in 4.2, or never, or in between, depending on the difficulty of incorporating it.  The D200 SDK was apparently never stable enough to be incorporated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim this is what Nikon say:

Dear David,

Thank you for contacting Nikon support.

Unfortunately Nikon don't deal with the third party products. However I would imagine that they will soon offer support. Like all they will usually release their support for various products.

You need to talk to the maker of the software.

Nikon can offer support on the Nikon Cameras Control Pro 2 which is what we deal with.

Thank you for supporting Nikon products.

Nikon Support Agent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user to user forum - you're not talking to Adobe here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 06, 2012 Jun 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dacdidac007 wrote:

Thank you for your reply. Yes Tethering, do you know why its not supported and the D700 is? Will it be an update or something? If so, how long does that sort of thing take to make it work? I did manage to tether the pics across into lightroom through this third party (freeware)  http://www.mountainstorm.co.uk but I really did want to just keep it simple and just use Lightroom 4

The D700 is supported because that camera is now about 4years old; the D800 is only about 2 months old, so Adobe has only had 2 months to work out how to control it. Then the revised LR will have to be thoroughly tested before release in a future update - probably 4.2 is my guess in a few months time. Nikon releases its own camera tethering software before it lets others do so. Nikon's Camera Control Pro is more advanced than LR tethering, but it is not free.

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bob frost wrote:

Adobe has only had 2 months to work out how to control it. Then the revised LR will have to be thoroughly tested before release in a future update - probably 4.2 is my guess in a few months time. Nikon releases its own camera tethering software before it lets others do so. Nikon's Camera Control Pro is more advanced than LR tethering, but it is not free.

Bob Frost

Didn't seem to hold back Apple much ... they added tethered support for the camera in question along with severl others on May 28, 2012 for Aperture 3 ... Ditto for Capture One 6 ... not sure of the date support was added, but the D4, D800 and D800e are on the list ... maybe, just maybe ... if Adobe had done a better job on Lr 4 ... and not had to invest so much time and effort with not one, but two RC versions of 4.1, they could be up to speed supporting new cameras for tethered shooting and not months behind their competition ...

In my mind, what good is all the RAW processing capabilities of an imaging app, if you have to jump through hoops just to import images if you need to shoot tethered?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you see where the D800 etc is listed in tethered support, at the top of the page it says supported, maybe for RAW not tethered!

Capture One 6.4.2 Pro and DB

Phase One: IQ180, IQ160, IQ140, P65+, P40+, P45+, P30+, P21+, P25+, P20+, Achromatic+, P45, P30, P25, P21, P20, H 25, H 20, H 101, H 10, H 5, LightPhase.
Mamiya Leaf: DM56, DM40, DM33, DM28, DM22, M31, M22, M18, Leaf Credo 80, Leaf Credo 60, Leaf Credo 40, Aptus-II 12R, Aptus-II 12, Aptus-II 10R, Aptus-II 10, Aptus-II 8, Aptus-II 7, Aptus-II 6, Aptus-II 5, AFi-II 12, AFi-II 10, AFi-II 7, AFi-II 6.

Capture One 6.4.2 Pro

Mamiya Leaf: Leaf Credo 80, Leaf Credo 60, Leaf Credo 40, Aptus 75S, Aptus 65S, Aptus 54S, AFi 7, AFi 6, AFi 5, Aptus 75, Aptus 65, Aptus 22, Aptus 17.
Canon: 1D Mark IV, 1Ds Mark III, 1D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 7D, 60D, 50D, 40D, 600D/Rebel T3i, 550D/Rebel T2i, 500D/Rebel T1i, 450D/Rebel XSi, 1100D/Rebel T3, 1000D/Rebel XS.
Some older Canon models may work to some extent but no support is provided for these

Nikon: D3s, D3x, D3, D700, D300, D300s, D200, D90, D80, D60, D7000, D5000, D40x, D40.

http://www.phaseone.com/en/Image-Software/Capture-One/Specifications.aspx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my mind, what good is all the RAW processing capabilities of an imaging

app, if you have to jump through hoops just to import images if you need

to shoot tethered?

OK, but you have to remember that most people don't shoot tethered; you're

in a small minority. Most people would prefer that Adobe get the bugs out of

LR4 before adding any more new stuff!

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bob frost wrote:

OK, but you have to remember that most people don't shoot tethered; you're

in a small minority. Most people would prefer that Adobe get the bugs out of

LR4 before adding any more new stuff!

Bob Frost

No most people would have thought after over 300,000 folks downloaded and participated in the brief Lr4 public beta, that it wouldn't take several months after the official relase and two RC versions to stomp out those bugs ...

It's fine if you want to belive that "most" people don't shoot or need tethered functionality, I'm sure many don't and I may be in a small minority ... but I also bought and paid for an app to offer me thethered functionality .... along with all the other bells and whistles ... I don't recall anyone warning me that features would be withheld after I put up my hard-earned cash ... the tethering feature is not "new stuff" either ... if the feature is going to be included and is on the bullet list for the marketing department to hype the feature set that Lr offers ... "most" people who bought Lr because it did claim to have a functioning feature ... would expect to be able to use said feature ... as it stands, tehtered shooting in Lr is like playing darts blindfolded ... only good fortune and happenstance seem to apply ... even for previously supported cameras ...

I apologize for being wrong about D800 tethering being supported in C1 ... but anyone wanna bet lunch they have it before Lr 4 does?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Butch_M wrote:

but anyone wanna bet lunch they have it before Lr 4 does?

I'll take that bet, Butch - I've been in the Capture One club for a long time, and they do take their time with stuff like this.

Bear in mind too that you only get any tethering support if you use the $299 Capture One Pro - the stripped-down (at $99, closer to Lr's price of $149) Capture One Express has no tethering support whatsoever.

And with either Cap One product, you've got to put your hand in your pocket again for a DAM solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 19, 2012 Jul 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keith_Reeder wrote:

Butch_M wrote:

but anyone wanna bet lunch they have it before Lr 4 does?

I'll take that bet, Butch - I've been in the Capture One club for a long time, and they do take their time with stuff like this.

Bear in mind too that you only get any tethering support if you use the $299 Capture One Pro - the stripped-down (at $99, closer to Lr's price of $149) Capture One Express has no tethering support whatsoever.

And with either Cap One product, you've got to put your hand in your pocket again for a DAM solution.

You lose! ... as of Jul 17, 2012 ...

http://www.phaseone.com/Search/Article.aspx?articleid=2066&languageid=1

Keep in mind my reference to C1 was not that it was a direct competior or exact match to Lightroom ... or Aperture for that matter ... but all three apps claim to offer support for tethering ... and thus far Adobe has failed to make the effort and produce an update ...

At this point in time Apple supports tethering for 60 camera and C1 supports more than that spanning five different brands ...

I take no pleasure in gloating I was right on this wager ... rather I am quite disappointed that Adobe (as well as several of my fellow Lightroom users) feel tethering is too unimportant to maintain ... yet Apple (and Phase One) didn't feel my needs were quite so insignificant ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2012 Jul 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue at hand cannot be very serious, LR has offered thether support for what 18 months / 2 years with support for a handful of Canon / Nikon cameras is this a serious issue or a marketing gimic. Support for cameras shooting raw is in the high hundreds maybe close to one thousand.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 20, 2012 Jul 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DdeGannes wrote:

The issue at hand cannot be very serious ...

As I have said several times ... apparently it isn't a serious issue for you or Adobe ... but that doesn't seem to hold back other software developers from offering and maintaining the feature in a timely fashion ... I'm sure there is at least one trivial feature in Lightroom that you are fond of and rely upon that isn't quite as popular with your fellow Lightroom users ... wouldn't you then find it a little disconcerting if Adobe were to ignore or send that feature to the bottom of the list? ... Or are you quite content to accept whatever Adobe chooses to dispense without question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2012 Jul 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that you should be upset with Adobe for providing such a poor thether support. My reference to "serious" is that Adobe is not serious about providing a proper thether service and should state in their promotion that the service is limited to a minute sub-set of cameras. 

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's ability to update it's software this year has been at best awful, at worst, insulting.  LR is behind all other vendors in tethering and Raw conversion.  It's attitude towards anyone who dares speak out is derogiotory. I've used LR and PS for a few years now and looking to move to PhaseOne CaptureOne not just for their great software, but for thier superior commitment to customer service.  Just wish there was an alternative to PS!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's fine if you want to belive that "most" people don't shoot or need

tethered functionality, I'm sure many don't and I may be in a small

minority ... but I also bought and paid for an app to offer me thethered

functionality .... along with all the other bells and whistles ... I don't

recall anyone warning me that features would be withheld after I put up my

hard-earned cash ... the tethering feature is not "new stuff" either ...

if the feature is going to be included and is on the bullet list for the

marketing department to hype the feature set that Lr offers ... "most"

people who bought Lr because it did claim to have a functioning feature

... would expect to be able to use said feature ... as it stands, tehtered

shooting in Lr is like playing darts blindfolded ... only good fortune and

happenstance seem to apply ...

Most people can't use tethered shooting - only about 30 cameras are

supported. And I have to search to find any mention of it in Adobe's

advertising. It was only introduced for a few cameras in LR3.

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bob frost wrote:

Most people can't use tethered shooting - only about 30 cameras are

supported. And I have to search to find any mention of it in Adobe's

advertising. It was only introduced for a few cameras in LR3.

Bob Frost

Then why do you care enough to post in this thread? ... it seems to be a non-issue for you ... at least much too trivial for you to invest so much time belittling tehtering and pointing out the extreme minority who employ the feature ... I can't understand why you would make the effort ....

For version 3 ... it was mentioned quite prominently because it was a new feature ... if you noticed, only the new and most recently improved features in v4 are prominent now ...

I don't use the Map module, or work with anyone who does ... by that reasoning I should participate in EVERY thread about Maps and point out it is a minority of users that think it is worthy and Adobe shouldn't waste their time with it ... or that users shouldn't be disappointed if it doesn't work as advertised ... Wouldn't that make for a great forum?

While those of us use the tethered feature may be few in number ... many of us were also the ones who have been directly funding the development of Adobe products for decades ... there would not have been the resources or the inititive for them to develop Lr had we not done so ... and tethering isn't the only little used feature that Adobe software has offered, nor will it be the last. For some of us (albeit small in number) Lightroom is actually a tool we try to use in generating an income. That's when it becomes a genuine issue when established features are not supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then why do you care enough to post in this thread?

Just trying to help. I've used Nikon's Camera Control Pro in the past for

tethering. Don't use it very often.

As my Nikon dealer has been telling me for the past 2 months, you just have

to be patient!

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2012 Jun 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite right about Lightroom not having D800 functionality, It was always touch and go as to whether it would work in LR3 and a D3 ( I gave up after a few embarising moments in front of clients) I have tried several tethering software programs,  and will continue to use PS and Lightroom for as long as I'm able, however download CameraRC (free 30 day trial) and be very pleasantly suprised, as this piece of software will do all you want with your D800/D4 (and other Nikon cameras) and more,- from changing white balance to ISO and everything in between, purchase through Paypal or card and is not expensive, I have no affiliation with the software company I'm just a bog standard user, but it works and works well, its a pity I have to go down this road to achieve what LR can,t.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Does it run on a Mac?

Its amazing that these small software companies can make it work and Adobe doesn't have an update for the D800 and D4 yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, or  Windows 7.
  • Apple Mac Running Windows in Boot Camp or a Virtual Machine.
  • Recommended Monitor Resolution 1152X864.
  • 1 Gbyte Ram.

These are the specs as listed at www.camerarc.com/

give it a try...........

.......as a professional photographer and shooting on location I need to have a way for my clients to see the images on something other than the back of a camera, I tried a 7inch DVD player but that wasn't the way forward. Lightroom promised to to be the tethering software I needed.  I use photoshop  CS6, and at nearly £1000.00, I cannot justify another piece of software that will do the same job! I bought Lightroom just for the tethering functionality, CameraRC has,some drawbacks one in particular is that only a maximum of 20 thumbnails can be displayed before the last one drops off, which means if a client wants to go back beyond 20 thumbnails I have to open the destination folder  it does save to hard disc as well as camera card which LR3 couldnt do as far as I could tell, so there is no safety issue here. Hey, nothings perfect........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines