5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2012 11:35 AM by MurraySummers RSS

Permission problem with CS4

JudyOct98

Hi there,

I just installed my CS4 on my laptop that uses Windows 7 and I can't save or write to file. I keep getting "c://access denied." I tried to change all the permissions as required to do from other people's posts and I'm still having the same problem.

Any ideas? I'd like to get this resolved, because I can't even write to file with FrontPage as well. I'd like to get my main page to my website up and running.

Please respond ASAP.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Permission problem with CS4
          MurraySummers ACP/MVPs

I keep getting "c://access denied."

This looks a bit odd to me. 

You have opened a file, made changes to it, and when you use FILE | Save, you get this error?

In your local site definition (you *are* working from a defined site, right?), what is the path to your local root folder?

• 2. Re: Permission problem with CS4
            JudyOct98 Community Member

Hi Murray,

Thanks for responding so quickly.

I've opened my index file, and it has two frames, one for the main and the other for the contents. When I go to make changes, just by adding some text to the "contents" part and then save, I get the error message. I used DW on XP and never had this problem b4, this is my first time with Win7. But, the root folder is my C: drive so I can upload to my website, the way I've done it in the past.

I did save to a secondary file for both frames and that saved, but I can't make changes to it and it comes up seperatley. So, I'm alittle confused here...any help you can provide would be good.

Would you like to see the page and try it yourself?

Judy

• 3. Re: Permission problem with CS4
              MurraySummers ACP/MVPs

You do realize all of the reasons NOT to use frames, right?  I'm sure that this usage has nothing to do with your problems, though.

Please tell me the path to the local root folder on your system.

Next, can you create and then save a new (blank) file in this site?

• 4. Re: Permission problem with CS4
                JudyOct98 Community Member

Hi Murray,

Actually, this is my first time using frames, because I wanted a new look for my site. But the root path for that file is simple:

c://index.htm or c://far_from_home.htm.

And, I can't save a blank file because when I changed permissions, I now get an error message "c:\testpage.htm" and right underneath it "A required privilage is not held by the client."

Judy

• 5. Re: Permission problem with CS4
                  MurraySummers ACP/MVPs

But the root path for that file is simple:

c://index.htm or c://far_from_home.htm.

But that's not the correct path syntax.

On a Windows box, it would be C:\index.htm or c:\far_from_home.htm

And your root folder is going to become very messy very fast working like this.  It would be much smarter to have a root path like this -

c:\websites\thissite (which would keep all of this site's files in that 'thissite' folder.

Finally, it's always a good idea to use the BROWSE icon to browse to your pages/folders rather than manually entering the path. It's much more accurate to do it that way.

Actually, this is my first time using frames, because I wanted a new look for my site.

No you are scaring me.  DO NOT USE FRAMES.  They were too antique to use even in the late 90's.