Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Display tearing issues in CS6

Participant ,
May 13, 2012 May 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm experiencing some wierd display tearing issues in After Effects CS 6.

Anything which moves moderately quickly in the composition window during playback or interaction experiences severe horizontal image tearing.

Video playback is tearing, regardless of resolution size (full, quarter, etc.). The display tears EVEN when I am simply dragging stuff around. I could be holding down space and dragging the canvas around in my composition window, or just dragging a footage element and I'll see a ton of really severe, jagged tearing.

It definitely looks like a monitor refresh rate issue, but I've never experienced anything like it before on this system.

Turning off hardware acceleration for composition, layer and footage has not helped. I have also restarted numerous times after changing this setting.

I am running a MacPro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core, OS X 10.7.3

16 gb ram

Card: ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB

My graphics card is admitedly not a supported card, but it has always worked fine in CS 5.5, and I would imagine that it would simply be ignored when I have turned off hardware acceleration, and it is not supported to begin with. I have had NO issues in any other version of AE, or in any other applications including FCP, Photoshop, etc.

I have two monitors on this machine, both standard computer displays and not broadcast, blackmagic, firewire or anything like that. One is an Apple monitor, and the other Samsung. One is connected via mini-display port adaptor.

This issue occurs on either monitor.

Any advice? Thanks so much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Oct 03, 2013 Oct 03, 2013

Adobe After Effects CS6 (11.0.3) has been released. This update fixes many crashes and other bugs, including this OpenGL tearing issue.

Details: http://adobe.ly/AE_CS6_1103

Also, this fix is in After Effects CC (12.0), as mentioned above.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2012 May 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a vsync issue of sorts that conflicts with the hardware acceleration fancies. Does the tearing still occur when youz turn off fast preview in the comp viewer and set it to final quality?

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mylenium,

It does indeed happen with fast preview turned off and the quality set to final in the comp viewer. It also happens regardless of resolution setting (half, quarter, full, etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then it's probably some sort of generic driver conflict/ resource issue. otehr than updating the driver I'm not sure what to advise, but that may be not so easy on Macs with their only sporadic updates...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah... I've been having zero luck finding a driver update.

Any Adobe employees around with an idea of what might be going on?

I'm planning to buy a new graphics card anyways, and tests on a friend's system who has a flashed GTX 470 from MacVidCards seem to show that it works perfectly as long as I use the text hack to add it to the list of supported cards. Seeing as it is a supported card under Windows, I feel like I shouldn't be too worried about that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the first thing I noticed on my MacBook Pro laptop. It's a 17" with 8Gb of Ram. I did a small project in AE CS5 nothing fancy but playback was perfect. The exact same project produces the video tearing, not hugely but definately distracting enough to notice. The whole point of RAM preview is to see what you are going to get and if that gives you glitches it's not ideal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. First thing I noticed as well. Mac Pro 2,1 with dual 4 core 3Ghz Xeons, 17GB of RAM, 256GB SSD, 8TB SAS RAID 5 at 600MBs, and an ATI 4870 card. Same project in CS5 has no problems and tearing. We need a fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2012 Jun 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue here. This happens both on the iMac 27" i5 HD4850 at work and on my C2Q 8200 nVidia 550TI at home, in both Win7 and Lion hackintosh. Two completely unrelated computers, which makes this tearing thing very weird indeed. AE5.5 worked just fine in both machines, no tearing at all.

Please help us Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2012 Jun 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not a good sign. Up until now I had heard that it was only on Macs. This is a big issue. I depend on After Effects on a daily bases for my lively hood and this tearing issue has made it almost un-useable on several projects where there is so much complexity this tearing distracts greatly. I will continue to use CS5 until Adobe finally acknowledges their preview playback problems and addresses them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2012 Jun 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem has still yet to be addressed! I really want to use AE CS6 but it's much to distracting of an issue.

I made a test project and sent it to several designer friends on two totally different systems and they had the horizontal tearing as well. They hadn't noticed it tell I pointed it out. Soo now I'm thinking it's on everyone's setup and just some people don't notice such things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 08, 2012 Jun 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just posted to the other thread abou this, but the problem also happens with a brand new nvidia Quadro 4000 on the same mac.

We cannot be the only ones experiencing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2012 Jun 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope I have seen too many people with this problem to count. Some don't even realize it until you point it out. Those are usually the people relying on the rendered outs for previews and not paying much attention to the ram preview. It's borderline epidemic and Adobe better get on it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 11, 2012 Jun 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried calling in about it yet?

I'm going to do that soon, but I'm not relishing the idea of hours on the phone going through basic troubleshooting steps which is what I fear will happen.

I wish some of the Adobe employees on this board would chime in. Even just a word or two to tell us if Adobe is aware of the issue would be nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 13, 2012 Jun 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

Is this XDCAM footage? Tearing with XDCAM footage is something we are looking at right now. We are aware of the issue and are working hard for a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly no. It's with any preview of any content within a ram preview in AE CS6. Here are a few sample images of a simple Solid layer moving across the screen. It's just in the preview never in the final render output. But it's all through all of my projects...so distracting I'm just sticking with CS5 for now.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ViperJPB01,

I tested this out on my MacBook Pro (OS X 10.6.8, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, Core i7), and did encounter the same issue. However, on my PC (WIN7, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro 4000), I did not encounter that issue.

I'll investigate further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats super interesting Kevin. Initially when I started researching this issue it looked like it was a Mac centric problem. But then I found a few mentions with some google searching of it happening on a Windows machine. With the lameness of the current Mac Pro landscape, and me in desperate need of a new workstation, I may be jumping to a PC workstation. Would be awesome if it wasn't an issue there. I'm dying to use AE CS6. But this shows up any of my current commercial broadcast projects and is just too distracting at the moment. The same project in CS5....no problems. Thanks for looking into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a friend who has the problem on a newer Mac Pro, but when he boots it into Windows the problem goes away...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 14, 2012 Jun 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, am experiencing the same "tearing" display issue in After Effects CS6. I'm running a 6 core Mac Pro, with an ATI 5870 HD card. The same project files display fine in CS5.5, but the tearing in CS6 is really annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 15, 2012 Jun 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just another set of specs to add here. A friend just tested on a mac pro 3,1, Lion, ATI Radeon HD 3870 and got the same issue. It seems very wide-spread.

Kevin - do you know if Adobe is only just becoming aware of this bug? Not trying to rush you - just very curious what's going on. I'm currently sitting on two different expensive grahics cards that were purchased to test this, knowing I need to return one or both depending on how this is resolved, so I'm curious as to what the status is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 15, 2012 Jun 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I first saw this issue with AVCHD files, but now I see the "tearing" effect with solids and text. If the tearing was limited to AVCHD files, Adobe could blame the issue on the myriad of AVCHD file types, but apparently the problem is not limited to video files. This is a pretty serious bug, and has to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2012 Jun 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pkroll wrote:

Kevin - do you know if Adobe is only just becoming aware of this bug? Not trying to rush you - just very curious what's going on. I'm currently sitting on two different expensive grahics cards that were purchased to test this, knowing I need to return one or both depending on how this is resolved, so I'm curious as to what the status is.

Yes, thanks to you, we are working on a fix. I submitted the bug report last week. Here's to hoping for a quick resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 28, 2012 Jun 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin,

Thanks so much for bringing this to their attention. Is it possible to get a status update of some kind? Like how long it will take fix? Or the nature of the problem, and whether all cards will work once it is fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 28, 2012 Jun 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

Another thanks for helping to bring this to the attention of the engineers. Please keep us posted on any news, if you can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 11, 2012 Jul 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin,

Any chance of an update on this situation?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines