• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CS6 Merucry Playback on Nvidia 650M MacBook Pro??

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2012 Jun 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Apple just announcing the new super powerful Macbook Pro's with Retina display I wanted to ask the two obvious questions:

1. Will Mercury Playback Engine use the Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 1Gb GFX processor for CUDA (384 cuda cores!) accellerated playback? (its a beat of a mobile processor so fingers crossed?!)  If so anyone from Adobe comment on how long for an update?

2. When will Adobe provide an update to use the high Retina Display resolutions?

Exciting laptop for video editing, fingers crossed Adobe can utilise that power and resolution to the full!

Nvidia blogged about the GFX processor here: http://blogs.nvidia.com/2012/06/new-apple-macbook-pros-feature-kepler-class-geforce-gpus/

Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>anyone from Adobe comment... When will Adobe

Generally speaking, employees are not allowed to comment on plans, because plans sometimes change due to testing problems or other priorities

When something actually happens, or is VERY close to happening, an employee will sometimes post a notice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will CS5 work with the Retina display? I understand that it will not be able to experience the benefits of the ultra-crisp Retina display, but will there be an issue where the CS5 software will not be functional?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I doubt Adobe would update CS5 to work with the Retina displays.  Surely it's another reason for them to get you to upgrade (CS6 is well worth it btw!).

I'm sure Adobe have known about the use of the GT650M Nvidia chip for a while now (it's been touted as rumour for months), I guess I'm hoping that thay'll come out and announce it's inclusion.  It'll certainly help sway a lot of folk to upgrade to the new Retina MBP's, and given the power bumps also get people on CS5 and CS5.5 to uprade to CS6... using all that power is just too tempting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2012 Jun 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been browsing the Adobe forums, and over here... and nothing yet on The MPE using the new GT650M card?

Anyone heard anything?

Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mypetfroguk wrote:

Been browsing the Adobe forums, and over here... and nothing yet on The MPE using the new GT650M card?

Anyone heard anything?

Adobe?

I think, perhaps, you're being way too aggressive and unrealistic in your expectations with regards to Adobe announcing support for the new card.  Official support will require a patch/update to CS6.  Don't expect word from the Adobe reps here until that happens.

Unofficial and unsupported use will have to be tested by folks who actually buy the MBPs and do the CUDA text file edit.  And since the laptops haven't actually shipped yet, no one's been able to do that.  If you're that curious, buy a new MBP and try it yourself.

jas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I'd be accused of being 'aggressive' if Adobe had this GPU sprung upon them.  However this will not be the case.  The processor has been around for a while, it's inclusion was rumoured many weeks if not months ago, and Apple will surely have been in discussions with Adobe about the inclusion of the processor (just like they were about the Retina display as Photoshop was shown at the WWDC yesterday and Apple said Adobe are already working on an update to utilise the retina display). Yes there will be a lead time, but I'm sure Adobe knew way before yesterday!

I'm merely asking the question, and for those editors looking to upgrade laptops it would be useful to know whether Adobe plan to include this GPU in it's approved list.  This is Apple's most powerful laptop ever (and a huge resource for pro video editors around the world) and it would be rather crazy for Adobe to ignore the potential of this machine, especially in their efforts to tempt FCP switchers over to Adobe Premiere CS6 (very evidently a target market).  So an early announcement can only help.  I don't think that's too unrealistic!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>early announcement ... don't think that's too unrealistic!

Well, jas and I have both said we don't THINK that will happen, based on past history

But, to be sure you tell Adobe what you want, go to...

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 13, 2012 Jun 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mypetfroguk wrote:

I think I'd be accused of being 'aggressive' if Adobe had this GPU sprung upon them.  However this will not be the case.  The processor has been around for a while, it's inclusion was rumoured many weeks if not months ago, and Apple will surely have been in discussions with Adobe about the inclusion of the processor (just like they were about the Retina display as Photoshop was shown at the WWDC yesterday and Apple said Adobe are already working on an update to utilise the retina display). Yes there will be a lead time, but I'm sure Adobe knew way before yesterday!

I'm merely asking the question, and for those editors looking to upgrade laptops it would be useful to know whether Adobe plan to include this GPU in it's approved list.  This is Apple's most powerful laptop ever (and a huge resource for pro video editors around the world) and it would be rather crazy for Adobe to ignore the potential of this machine, especially in their efforts to tempt FCP switchers over to Adobe Premiere CS6 (very evidently a target market).  So an early announcement can only help.  I don't think that's too unrealistic!

Make a feature request if you want this GPU to be supported for the Mercury Playback Engine: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish
Of course, we cannot talk about our future plans, but you can check out what we have done in the past regarding certifying new GPUs. That may give you some clue about our intentions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please, excuse me if I'm completely on the wrong track here as I'm not a Pro but shouldn't in theory the hack in this thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/725572 work? It should be just a matter of adding the graphics card to the text file. It works for my GeForce GT 330M with 512MB VRAM. But to make sure you're better of asking Stu in the thread.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>works for my GeForce GT 330M with 512MB VRAM

Everything I have ever read about CUDA processing says that is impossible... the minimum vram required is 768Meg

See message 23 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629557

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I reloaded the lates Nvidia drivers the other day on my windows 7 laptop  with a 330m card and what do you know, it now show that I have hardware CUDA enabled - I just have 500megs of ram on the card. This did not happen when I used the drivers that came with the Lenovo machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd... #23 in the link I posted is an Adobe employee saying you must have at least 768Meg of vram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I'm not an idiot. I'm running CS6 on a 2010 Mac Book Pro with 512MB VRAM and a card that is not officially approved with Rendering and Playback "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA)". As I said, I just added the card to the text file. When I choose that under Project Settings, General an Accelerated Effect like Gaussian Blur shows in real time and the line above the clip in the work area remains yellow, Now I go back to Project Settings and choose Software Only. I apply the same Accelerated Effect to the same clip. The line above the clip where the effect was applied in the work area is now purple. It should work but you should ask Stu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing. I read a while back somewhere that sometimes the same parts are purchased by NVIDIA for manufacturing the graphics cards because it may be just cheaper if a certain memory type is available. And then they disable a part of the memory (maybe through the drivers, I'm not an engineer) but, in fact, what shows as a graphics cards with 512MB VRAM could have more. That's why the latest drivers might make a difference. I don't remember where I read this.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2012 Jun 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA) working fine here on 2010 MBP GT330M after adding the card to the text file.

Just to report!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2012 Jun 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would work with the Mercury Engine right now .......  http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC723LL/A

Otherwise, honesly, Final Cut Pro X is getting fatter an fatter every couple of months or so.... example

".........create a Multicam Clip by automatically syncing up to 64 angles of video and photos, or choose custom sync options to precisely align footage based on time of day, timecode, markers, or audio waveforms."

I too want Adobe to get it together on this Mercury support ... otherwise Final Cut Pro.

Im just sayin.............

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2012 Jun 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just got a Macbook Pro Retina with 16 gigs of memory.  Premiere CS6 doesn't give the option to switch on Hardware Mercury Playback unless I do the hack. I got it to work by following the hack instructions I've found online, e.g., installing the Nvidia Cuda drivers and then inserting,  GeForce GT 650M into the file, cuda_supported_cards.txt.

I haven't fully tested it yet to see how stable it is.  I stuck 6 accelerated filters on a 1920 x 1080 H.264, 6 min video located on the internal SSD drive onto the Premiere timeline and it all played back realtime at full res.  I cut it up stuck some unaccerlerated effects on and it added a couple of cross dissolves and it played playback realtime at half res.

-Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2012 Jun 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spot of Bother wrote:

Premiere CS6 doesn't give the option to switch on Hardware Mercury Playback unless I do the hack.

The computer is brand new, we've only just begun testing it. If you want this card officially supported, please make a feature request: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2012 Jun 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With all respect, I think it's kind of strange to request people to fill out webforms in order to request that the new macbook pro should be supported. This is one of the easiest pro laptops to identify for Adobe, and owners of it are very likely in Adobes target group of using CS suite. Neglecting to add MPE support for it would be a bad business decission, "inviting" people to finalcut x (not saying that Adobe is doing that, I have the feeling they will add MPE support )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2012 Jun 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had more time to edit with Premiere Pro CS6 on my Macbook Pro Retina with the hack, so I can use hardware accelerated Mercury plaback, and wouldn't recommend it as it's crashed frequently for me. I was working on a 7 minute edit composed of a lot of 1080p H.264 files and some Pro Res 4444 1080p files.  Premiere with hardware acceleration checked is also quite glitchy, the program window doesn't update some times when I'm adjusting effects, I have to frame advance or scrub on the timeline to see the effects changes.  Also, the '~' key doesn't always maximize windows properly.  The computer running software Mercury playback is stable.  It's an excellent computer, despite the lack of full software support at the moment. It's much faster than my 1st gen Unibody Macbook Pro (which served me well and reliably over the years) I've had since new, so, I can make do for now.  I did update the Cuda drivers to the latest.  Hopefully, there will be an update from Adobe which won't be a long way off.  I did go ahead and make the feature request to Adobe. This is my experience with my computer so far, perhaps someone else can get Premiere Pro to run more stable with Hardware Mercury Plaback on their Macbook Retina.

-Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2012 Jul 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jason, that's interesting. Would be nice if other could share their experience too. I'm still waiting for my new macbook (non-retin) but with same graphics. When I do, I will see how hardware mercury playback works. Maybe the lower display resolution won't stress the GPU to the same extent.. Time will show..

Carl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines