• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove "Destination State" - anyone done this?

May 17, 2012 May 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the thread on the old forum that wasn't moved across..

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:4q0R1s26zyAJ:www.businesscatalyst.com/ForumRetr...

How do we get rid of the Destination State dropdown?

Australia doesn't even have state taxes and this option is messy and confusing.

Would love to hear if anyone was able to remove this

TOPICS
eCommerce

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

You can't do that if you're selling to different countries. Instead you need to create NSW, VIC, SA etc. as Tax Codes with 10% tax, so that the 10% tax is applied for customers buying from AU and not applied for those outside AU.

Cheers,

mario

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't do that if you're selling to different countries. Instead you need to create NSW, VIC, SA etc. as Tax Codes with 10% tax, so that the 10% tax is applied for customers buying from AU and not applied for those outside AU.

Cheers,

mario

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mario, you must be geting sick of having that same question asked al the time. I se it everywhere, I continue to ask it. Is there a roadmap to improve that dropdown menu situation?

cheers - billy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 27, 2012 May 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Billy,

I had a look at the roadmap but I can't see this there. That said, I will email the product management and ask them if the tax framework can be improved.

Cheers,

-mario

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 04, 2012 Jun 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think i've found a BC site that has done this Yaye... http://gthloungewear.businesscatalyst.com/OrderRetrievev2.aspx

But does anyone know HOW they did it??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Far out, it does look like they have done it. Mario can you reverse engineer that site for us to find out whats happening and if it some thing that will help out in this area?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second that... Pretty please Mario

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think they did that by not using GST as a tax code. So they have included GST in the product price and not used the system to calculate it.

We had the same problem here and the only solution was to do what Mario said as we needed to use the system to add GST for invoicing purposes.

http://www.mummyiloveyou.com.au

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2012 Jun 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please change this...or at the very least have it read Province/State

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 13, 2012 Jun 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those guys don't have any tax codes. If they did you'd see the states in the dropdown.

@river east - you nee to use JS to chnage the text there.

Cheers,

-mario

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2012 Jun 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about the alert if the shipping option is not choosen as described here http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-1808 (which I have done) or is there away to change the on page Destination State above the dropdown ? I just need it to say Choose Province if so please let me know how to accomplish this. I am not a JS guru by any means.

Appreciate it, Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 14, 2012 Jun 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'd need to jQuery to targed that text with something like $('#shippingStateSpan').text("Destination Province");

See http://api.jquery.com/text/ for code examples and more options.

Cheers,

-m

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2012 Jun 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm strickly a look and feel developer. Part of the draw of Business Catalyst was not having to code anything but I will give it a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just so messy. So many people get confused and confusion results in NO sale!

I thought BC was started in Australia so the developers must be aware of this issue.

It's just sad that there is no ability to hide that confusing second dropdown. If you are an Australia supplier you charge 10% GST to local customers and do not charge GST to overseas - simple. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2012 Nov 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a customer asking for this same feature, removing destination state, and though it appears it can not be removed I found this site featured on the AdobeTV system that did remove it (see below).  Any thoughts on how that is possible?  My client is in the US, and would prefer that tax be applied when someone enters their information on the checkout page - so we can remove the Destination State on the cart page.  Thanks!

www.bogsfootwear.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can remove the state dropdown by changing {tag_shippingoptions,true} to  {tag_shippingoptions}, but there's no way to apply the tax on the registration page.

-m

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, I might have misread above because I thought that if the client was selling to different counries the state drop down could not be removed.  This client will be selling to Canada, US, UK and Australia.  Does that create a potential problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 01, 2012 Jul 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following are some details I copied out of the old onlinebusinessWiki which was so full of good stuff that has now been lost...

Shipping option details

Monday, 20 July 2009

5:43 PM

To change how Shipping options are presented / displayed - The definitive answer....

Through CSS styling and some javascript it is possible to change which elements are displayed and to change the label text associated with each of the elements

To turn display of any element off you include <style> code at the beginning of your shopping cart template. The elements (NOTE: the names are case sensitive !) that can be turned off are:

shippingCountry   (the drop down field listing you country(s))

shippingCountrySpan  (The label for the country drop down field)

shippingSpan

ShippingOptions

shippingState

shippingStateSpan

Example of achieving this is shown below

<style>

#shippingCountry {display:none;}

#shippingCountrySpan {display:none;}

#shippingSpan {display:none;}

</style>

To change the value of the label associated with each element you place the following javascript code at the end of your layout selecting the relevant element being

shippingCountrySpan

shippingSpan

shippinStateSpan

Example of how I changed the lebel on the Destination State to choose type of GST in Australia is

</script>

<script type="text/javascript">

1. document.getElementById('shippingStateSpan').innerHTML = 'Select GST type';

</script>

Replacing Shipping options with custom text

var sel = document.getElementById('ShippingOptions')
for(var i=sel.options.length-1;i>=0;i--)
{
if(sel.options.value == "-1")
sel.options.text = "Here goes the text of whatever you want to replace Choose Shipping Options to";
}
</script>

Auto-Selecting one Shipping Option

Needs to be added to the Check Out Layout -

var shippingOptions = document.getElementById('ShippingOptions');
if (shippingOptions) {
shippingOptions.selectedIndex = 1;
  shippingOptions.onchange();
}
</script>

I hope this is still relevant and helpful....

If you want to see this implimented go to www.blackandblue.com.au - we set up a single tax code called GST and have hiddent this DIV per above after presetting the shippingState to the 1st (and only) choice.

In the shopping cart layout we used the following... {tag_shippingoptions,true,true,AU;NZ;US} to limit our shipping to just AU, NZ and USA at present. We have shipping rates set up for the 3 different zones.

The end result is that the shopping cart only applies GST if the buyer is is Aust and then only asks for shipping rates in NZ or US and at no time do we ask for a State or GST code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2012 Oct 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg,

Thank you for this post.

I was able to get the 'Select State' to disappear by inserting

<style>

#shippingStateSpan {display:none;}

</style>

into the <head></head> area of my Cart Template.

I am unable to get the new text to display.

Do I place the js code into the <head></head> area of the Cart Template (after the <style> tag used above)?

Or do I go into Module Templates - Online Shop Layouts - Shopping Cart?

Is the code correct? (I was going to replace Select GST type with 'Select Province' and I'm guessing the words I insert can be anything I choose).

document.getElementById('shippingStateSpan').innerHTML = 'Select GST type';

</script>

I've tried this a few places but I must be doing something wrong.

Thank you for your help,

Tricia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2013 Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Any update on this?

I desperately need to be able to remove the destination state dropdown as it is confusing and my client does not understand why it is there (it is very hard to reason when I don't understand either!).

I can easily hide the field but I need to be able to use javascript to auto populate if Australia is selected as tax needs to be applied.

Can anyone please help with this?

Thanks

Madeleine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2013 Apr 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Suppor team,

Are you able to provide an update on this?

I was told by one of your support team members that someone in the Dev team would be able to post a solution in the forum.

It would be great if you could get back to me ASAP as this is really important to my client.

Thanks

Madeleine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 14, 2013 Jun 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Madeleine and everyone else

Did anyone ever have any luck with this? (remove destination state so tax is on for local orders and not charged for international?)

DD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2013 Jun 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope I never heard back from BC or anyone in the community.

Fingers crossed we can get a solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 28, 2013 Nov 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Has there been any improvement in this 1 and a half years later??

Also on another note if you do use the {tag_shippingoptions,true} and asign the products with tax not applicable so it only shows on the shopping cart... then if you edit/add to the order in admin or even create an order in Admin then you will not be able to add any tax... i'm pulling my hair out over this as it breaches tax laws and causes a world of problems. I've posted another forum question on this but if anyone has any advice I'd love to know as we really don't want the tax office after us!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 28, 2013 Nov 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DandyDahlia, I am here simple to back you up. This has been going for more than 1.5 years I can assure you. I can only hope that BC recognise forum threads that get a lot of attention... and fix the issues therein.

Adobe BC has a track record of taking about 5 years to address anything seriously. Before Adobe, the team at BC listened to Partners, and got the job done...

I am baffled at how a juggernaut like Adobe can't deliver on these kinds of things.

I have been a Partner for over 6 years... and I miss the days before Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines