• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is indesign file conversion/export to tiff file possible?

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2012 Jun 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone,

I have used indesign 5.5 to make my figures for a publication.  However, the publisher requires editable tiff or powerpoint files.  Therefore does anyone know how I can convert my indesign files to editable tiff (or powerpoint) files?

The files include scanned images, text, drawn lines and arrows, all of which needs to be editable.

I have used indesign 5.5, on a pc running windows 7.  Perhaps its possible in indesign 6, thus I could get the trial for that.............

Thanks for any and all help,

Charlie

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may need to ask your publisher what they mean by "editable" tiff. If they just want a tiff, you could export as PDF and open in Photoshop (but keep in mind that small text doesn't look all that great when rasterized). The result will be all of the elements you had arranged in InDesign will be on the same Photoshop layer, which won't make the kinds of edits you are talking about very easy. A more reasonable workflow might be to do the edits in InDesign before exporting as PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Michael and Peter.

The editable factor is for my boss so that he can make changes if they are required at a later date.  The publisher just requires tiff or powerpoint files of the figures (main text is separate), so what I had done was to export as a jpeg and then open in photoshop and save as a tiff.  However, as my boss does not use indesign I need editable tiff files to send to him so he can edit in photoshop if necessary.

However, I have found that I can "copy" my indesign page straight into illustrator with no problems, and I believe that my boss has illustrator.  Therefore I can send him the illustrator files for future editing if required, as well as tiffs made using illustrator to be uploaded to the publisher.

Perhaps illustrator is better for me in the long run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll get better conversion to TIFF from ID if you export as press quality PDF and convert that in Photoshop than you will with export to jpeg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the sound of that Peter, but how do I export as press quality pdf?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File > PDF Presets > Press Quality... or File > Export.... and choose PDF (Print) from the dropdown inthe first dialog, then Press Quality from the dropdown inthe PDF options dialog that pops up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter, I think it is working, however, in photoshop the image has a chequered background.  Is this normal?

I have viewed it in windows photoviewer and it looks good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you first openthe PDF in Photoshop there will be areas of transparency (the checkerboard) where ther were no objects or there was transparency in the layout in ID. ID (and Acrobat) show a white background to simulate the view on paper, Photoshop only shows a solid background whre one exists.

You can flatten the image in Photoshop, add an opaque layer, or ignore the transparency, depending on your needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again thank you Peter.  I am happy with the chequered background now I understand better what it means.  I have so much to learn!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Didin't someone write a script before for exporting InDesign layers to photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What sort of publication is this that would be built from PowerPoint slides?

TIFFs are a standard image format that might be used for images included in a layout, and PowerPoint is an onscreen presentation program. Neither is something I would consider as being a format for submission for publication of a anything with multiple pages or text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines