7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2012 9:14 AM by Gernot Hoffmann RSS

My colors are disobeying me.

Mathias17 Community Member

Offender - Photoshop CS5

I tell a vector layer to be 100% Cyan, 0% Magenta, Yellow and Black (by double-clicking the Layer Panel thumbnail and punching in values).

I hit enter. Then I go back into it's color dialogue and I see that it's automatically changed to something like 70% Cyan, 15% Magenta, 0% Yellow, Black.

What the heck.

Assigned a new color profile - Abobe RGB '98. Got it closer. Still not happy. I want that process printer to know to use 100% for that part of the design.

apples-woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.PNG

I don't want no stinkin' Magenter in meh Cyan!! Why, Photoshop? Why.

It may be odd that I design in RGB, just to convert to CMYK in order to produce the final production file but I design with this in mind, always keeping an eye on Out Of Gamut pixels, etc. Seems to work well.

• 1. Re: My colors are disobeying me.
          c.pfaffenbichler Community Member

Well, if you want to achieve a primary CMYK-color this is one case where working in CMYK is called for – mind you, the apple can be placed as an RGB Smart Object.

• 2. Re: My colors are disobeying me.

Also are you certain your CMYK working space is the proper CMYK-space for this printing process?

• 3. Re: My colors are disobeying me.

Hey, man.

Would you say you disagree with my MO, in this case then?

As you know, all RGB-based effects, adjustments, filters are unavailable in CMYK mode, which has caused me to avoid actually working in CMYK.

I'll usually complete a design, flatten, do a strategic CMYK conversion, then save a flat TIFF for production. As long as I'm mindful that everything will be processed-printed I do ok . . . I think.

Also are you certain your CMYK working space is the proper CMYK-space for this printing process?

No. To be honest, I'm very confused by the CMYK options.

My current project is a series of posters all to be printed on an HP 25500 wide format printer. What should I do? I only use the default "U.S.Web Coated (SWOP) v2" profile.

• 4. Re: My colors are disobeying me.

In general editing photographic images in RGB even when printed CMYK makes complete sense.

But with graphical elements that are supposed to have one or two process colors – it’s just a bit risky not doing those in CMYK (unless one has an »airtight« device link profile set up for the task, I guess).

Either you should ask your print provider for a profile for the printer

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=hpl25500icc+profiles&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

or – as it seems to be a six color printer – you (and me) may be overthinking it and you providing an RGB image may turn out just fine.

In any case it might be best to check qith your print-shop.

• 5. Re: My colors are disobeying me.

Hehe, the print shop is 30 feet away. I'm an in-houser. We got a very experienced, old-school, plate-maker guy, from the haftone camera era, running the printer. He's not up on color profiles, though. I've already asked him.

I will try to get a color profile to use for previewing, inside Photoshop.

Right now, I've asked him to print a RGB and CMYK version of the same thing. I want to do a visual comparison of the two outputs.

Hey . . . so we can convert file to 4 color "CMYK" in PS, but is converting files to a 6-color process a thing? The HP has Light Cyan and Light Magenta, in addition to C, M, Y and K. Why not convert the file to the printer 6-color processing, for even more accurate pre-flighting?

• 6. Re: My colors are disobeying me.

The 6C-separation is propably done with proprietary software in the printer’s RIP, so separating that in Photoshop may not be reasonable.

• 7. Re: My colors are disobeying me.
                      Gernot Hoffmann Community Member

In addition to #6 C.Pfaffenbichler as well

For large format inkjets it's not recommended to edit in CMYK.

One uses just sRGB or AdobeRGB(98) and

a) embeds the profile or

b) tells the printer operator the color space explicitly

Yellow, Magenta, Light Magenta, Cyan, Light Cyan, Black and

eventuallyDark Gray and Light Gray are handled by the RIP.

Thinking in "plates" is of no use. Converted to CMYK, one would

have just four channels, but eight different inks.

If a valid profile should be available, then it would be quite useful

for Soft Proofing, which might help to avoid making ordinary apples

too colorful...

Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann