5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2012 8:29 AM by Gaby35 RSS

Preview in a browser

Gaby35 Community Member

I try to preview in a browser an html file from Dreamweaver that has a .swf file imported in it. I keep getting the Flash player dialog box, saying something about a script (expressInstall.swf) that is trying to connect with the browser. Does anyone know what this is about?

• 1. Re: Preview in a browser
          Nancy O. CommunityMVP

It's a browser security thing on locally displayed Flash files.  You won't see this message on the remote site.

Nancy O.

• 2. Re: Preview in a browser
            Gaby35 Community Member

Thanks for the reply. I remeber seeing a dialog box when I opened Dreamweaver saying that I need to drag this .swf file along with this "swfobject_modified.js" file onto my server. I really don't know why/how these files ended up in my site's folder, in a folder called "Scrpts".

So you're saying that I won't be able to locally previerw the html file, because of the browser security thing, and the only way I can see it is to publish it on a remote site via my server. Correct? In that case, there is no way for prevewing (PRE viewing)?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Preview in a browser
              Nancy O. CommunityMVP

No.  When you insert Flash media into your HTML page, DW creates a Scripts folder with supporting files in it.  These files help your Flash player work in browsers.  For security reasons, your browser is telling you it needs to connect with a script to activate the player.   You can adjust your browser security settings.  Which browsers are you using?

Nancy O.

• 4. Re: Preview in a browser
                Gaby35 Community Member

I am using Firefox and Safari for the Mac.

• 5. Re: Preview in a browser
                  Gaby35 Community Member

Hi,

I tried to go to the security settings, I don't see any mention of the Flash player there. Would you know how to change these settings? ( I have never had these problems with earlier versions of DW. This must be something new).

Thanks.