• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

mts files don't work in CS6.. Why not Adobe

Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2012 Jun 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I drop a .mts file from my sony camera into Prem Pro, it shows video but no sound?  If I drop it into CS5.5 the sound works.

I have downloaded an updated version of Prem Pro from Adobe today June 2012. And still it won't handle mts files?

I can't understand why it is so hard to find a solution to this problem. two of the worlds largest companies Sony and Adobe and none of them cover the issue on their sites, Yet it's clearly a major issue?

I have seen talk on the site of renaming files, which doesn't work and would be a pain in the rear.

Has Any one got a solution that works?

Please ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 16, 2012 Jun 16, 2012

FIXED Yipeeee!

It isn't all good news though but I do have a solution that will almost certainly work for you, all be it a bit Drastic

This problem has been killing me. I just want to be able to drag and drop the MCS file into premiere pro like I always have with other video files and all the nonsense about pulling over entire folder structure just WON'T DO , we are not living in the 70's. And thank god the file structure thing is just stuff and nonsense.

What is happening is this.. something on y

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the Sony HXR-NX5U and my footage off my sd card works fine in cs6 (My cams footage is .mts too). What type of audio does your mts file have?

Mine is set as LPCM and plays the video and audio with no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kinda new to MTS files. I have a Sony HDR XR260V  how can I check what audio the mts use?  Whn I connect the camera with USB to the PC the files are just stored in a Folder with the Date as a Name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I drop a .mts file from my sony camera into Prem Pro.....

Do you have the entire Source folder  (and its structure from the card ) on your local drive?

ie. I dont undererstand dropping a file from your camera into PremPro!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shooternz At first I just drag and drop the mts files onto a folder on my drive.  The Sony HDR XR260V has a 160 Gig internal Drive and they show up in a folder on the cameras drive, or I can import them using Sony's proprietary software, where they are stored in a folder with the .mts file and a .MTS.modd file of the same name. Now I can navigate to them with the media browser in PP but they still offer no sound?

Now if I use almost any method in CS5.5 the movies are there and playing sound on three Audio Tracks.  Like I say I have never used .mts before but it seems heaps of people are having this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

heaps of people are having this problem

when they make the mistake of not copying the complete directory to harddisk and then importing with the media browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2012 Jun 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not the Case, I have tried that.  I think you are commenting from a position of guessing, rather than having had the problem and solved it.

For example.  

1.  What complete Direcory?  The files are stored on the Camera Drive in a Directory marked "Todays Date/file_name.mts"   What on earth difference can it make copying the whole folder from the Camera to the Computer..     I will answer it,   as I have tried,   NONE!

2. Why does it work in CS5.5 and Not CS6.  In CS5.5  I can just drag the file out of the camera direcory to any folder on my hard drive, then drag and drop it into Prem Pro CS5.5 and when it's draged on to a sequence Voala!  Sound and Video.  BY THE WAY,  THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE WITH ALL VIDEO  We shouldn't have to jump through loops to move a file.

So unless you have expereinced the problem and solved it, Please Don't assume!  This is a real issue not a simple user error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't replicate your problem when I copy the complete directory and import with Media Browser. Everything works OK and I'm not planning to look for ways to create havoc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't suspect you are but again, What directory? The directory on my Camera has no unusual structure?  And again why CS6 and not CS5 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From a Panny TM-700 these are the directories:

14-6-2012 9-38-36.png

I simply copy the complete harddisk from the Panny to my harddisk and have no issue at all with CS5.5 and CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your using a SD Card (I'm Pretty sure)   on The Built in Hard disk of the Sony HDR XR260V I don't have to use an SD card. But there is no BDMV Directory or stream like you show here.  Camera/Date/File

So where you have to copy that file structure over, I don't have it.

The think is I think the Error lies in the CS6 Software, not the File other wise the mts files from my Camera would not work (as they do) on CS5.5 and refuse to work of CS6  I really would like to find a more conclussive answer.  The copy directory thing is worn out and does not work in my instance. But WHY ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your using a SD Card (I'm Pretty sure)

No, the TM-700 has a 120 GB hard disk built in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would hate to have to change my software over a compatibility issue. I hope Adobe can do something to correct this.  It's seems I cam drop the files into MS Movie Maker and Sony Vegas without any issues, why not CS6 ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DeenoDeeno wrote:

I would hate to have to change my software over a compatibility issue. I hope Adobe can do something to correct this.  It's seems I cam drop the files into MS Movie Maker and Sony Vegas without any issues, why not CS6 ??

Before we go throwing our software out, can we take a breath and relax for a second?  You've got a pile of people here trying to help and you're kinda snapping at them.

Can you connect your Sony to your Windows rig, open it up in the Windows File Explorer like Harm did, expand ALL directories, and take a quick window capture of that?  Post it so we can see?  Something doesn't seem right regarding how the AVCHD directory structure is laid out on your camera.  There's a very specific directory structure expected.

Post it and let's go from there.

jas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jason Van Patten wrote:

DeenoDeeno wrote:

Before we go throwing our software out, can we take a breath and relax for a second?  You've got a pile of people here trying to help and you're kinda snapping at them.

Can you connect your Sony to your Windows rig, open it up in the Windows File Explorer like Harm did, expand ALL directories, and take a quick window capture of that?  Post it so we can see?  Something doesn't seem right regarding how the AVCHD directory structure is laid out on your camera.  There's a very specific directory structure expected.

Post it and let's go from there.

jas

Jas, firstly I don’t see,  reading back the quote in your post that there was anything snapping about it? It was just the facts, I have a heap of work to do an suddenly the software I have come to trust, is useless to me, because I buy a new camera??

I apologize if some of my replies seemed abrupt, I felt the comments were implying the problem was of my making.  I have read through dozens of forums and I see time and time again people asking this question to no avail. I can’t accept that we are all to blame.

You guys are great on the forum, thank you.   I have a workload backing up and am tossing up between limping along in Movie Maker or going back to 5.5 and I can assure you that going back to 5.5 is frustrating after getting used to CS6.  In an effort to repair this problem, I have had to uninstall and reinstall several times and have lost all my presets, which you can imagine is frustrating, when you’re in a work groove. I hope that explain a little my frustration.

Here is the file structure of my camera and you will see I have no option to copy the BDMV structure everyone talks about.

Structure.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it works in cs5.5 you could just take the files and get them all stacked up in 5.5's media encoder and encode the audio only to a different audio codec then just import the new audio files into cs6 and link the clips up in cs6 if you where wanting to edit in cs6 over 5.5. I know this obivously a extra step but it wouldn't take hardly any time since you'd only being re-encoding the audio only anyways. Plus you could just stack all of them in the encoder walk away and come back a bit later and they'd all be ready when you came back.

I realize this isn't the best solution and you have problably already thought of this and chose not to do it since it adds a extra step but I don't know what else to suggest. Sorry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the file structure of my camera and you will see I have no option to copy the BDMV structure everyone talks about.

It would appear that the camera is shooting "out-of-spec" when you use the internal drive.

It may be wiser to use the SD card option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

It would appear that the camera is shooting "out-of-spec" when you use the internal drive.

It may be wiser to use the SD card option.

No No!  Jim, sorry but you don't buy a camera with 160GB hard drive and stick a 8 GB SD card in it to take film.

Again I hope I don't sound abrupt but that can never be the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you don't buy a camera with 160GB hard drive and stick a 8 GB SD card in it to take film.

Well...you also don't buy a camera that shoots non-standard video and expect it to work flawlessly.  Sometimes they work, but sometimes not.

This appears to be a 'not'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

you don't buy a camera with 160GB hard drive and stick a 8 GB SD card in it to take film.

Well...you also don't buy a camera that shoots non-standard video and expect it to work flawlessly.  Sometimes they work, but sometimes not.

This appears to be a 'not'.

I can hardly think that Sony are using a Non Standard video format, in their flag ship new cameras?

I just been on the phone with Sony and I can't disagree with what they say, If the files open in WMP, Windows Movie Maker and Premiere Pro CS5.* then how can they help?

You have to move with the times, with solid state becoming more common your next camera is unlikely not to have a substantial built in SS Hard drive.  Back in the days when you used to boot up DOS on a 5.5 inch floppy disk, to do your computing no one said, "what's the point of an internal hard drive"

Any way we Digress.  Lets get back to more helpful comments, such as try this rather than "your camera sux" and "stop using it's hard drive" that clearly isn't the point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But there is no BDMV Directory or stream like you show here.

That seems difficult to believe.  Your camera carries the official AVCHD logo, which means it must adhere to the AVCHD specifications, which include a very specific folder structure like Harm has shown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ideally you would like to have the entire directory, however, I've NEVER HAD TO HAVE the complete directory in 5.5 to get audio with .mts files. With 5.5 you could simply just "drop in" the actual .mts files and that flexibility is one of the great strengths of Premiere.  Is this a new issue with CS6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just switched to CS6 and a Canon HF S30.  This produces .mts files. 

I have no problem with them when I ingest them via the Canon Pixelas software (which ingests .cpi info files as well), nor when I simply drag and drop the required .mts files from the connected camera's internal memory to a folder on my media hard disk.

I also have no problems with them when I use my laptop, which has CS5 installed.

I realise that this does not help you, but it shows that CS6 does not have a problem with .mts files per se.  Maybe there is some oddity with the particular Sony version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose this could be another example of Corporations being difficult?  I.e Adobe trying to be awkward with Sony or Vice Versa.  But until I can find out the where the problem lies then it hard to apportion the blame.

Are there different types of .mts files?

[offensive language removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe there is some oddity with the particular Sony version?

That has happened in the past.  Sony wasn't writing the proper headers to the file, and so PP had issues with it.  I believe that was resolved, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines