15 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2012 10:19 AM by rob day RSS

How do I import printer correction curves into ID CS6.

mrehmus2

The Help instructions do not work. The files are in the location specified but InDesign CS6 does not show them in the printer setup window. They work fine in InDesign CS3 in the same location.

• 1. Re: How do I import printer correction curves into ID CS6.
          Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Why don't you give us some more details so we can try to help you?

• 2. Re: How do I import printer correction curves into ID CS6.
            mrehmus2 Community Member

What else can I provide? The files are where the CS6 help text said they should be but InDesign does not show them so I cannot create printer presets. InDesign CS3 can find them but InDesign CS6 cannot.

I would have thought that the new InDesign CS6 would have transferred the CS3 presets as part of the new installation as do other software programs. (OK, that is a side comment.)

Specifically, what details would help you solve the problem? I'd be happy to give them but I don't know what is relevant when the software doesn't work as it should. I would not think my hardware specs would help. The OS is XP Pro with SP3 and all the latest .net uploads. Hardware is an Intel motherboard with a 4-core processor and 4 gigs of memory and around 5 terabytes of disks.

Thanks for replying, Peter.

• 3. Re: How do I import printer correction curves into ID CS6.
              Peter Spier CommunityMVP

I'm having trouble with "printer correction curves" as a term for something ID will look at. I think of those as being applied by a RIP to compensate for dot gain.

So what, exactly, are you trying to do, where are you looking for files, and what do you have in CS3?

Things like print presets are not only version-specific (thought they are easily transfered), but also user-specific and are stored as part of the user preferences. Because each version of InDesign is essentially a brand new installation that does not interfere with previous versions, there is never any automatic transfer of any settings that are customized by the user.

• 4. Re: How do I import printer correction curves into ID CS6.
                Peter Spier CommunityMVP

If you can point me to a specific location in the help files it  might help, too.

• 5. Re: How do I import printer correction curves into ID CS6.
                  rob day CommunityMVP

The InDesign Print dialog has never had printer correction curves. If you click Printer... in the ID Print dialog you get printer spcific features, which are not part of the InDesign application:

Screen shot 2012-06-14 at 8.35.49 AM.png

The Printer Features are coming from my printer's software not ID:

Screen shot 2012-06-14 at 8.36.18 AM.png

• 6. Re: How do I import printer correction curves into ID CS6.

Peter,

Right above the word 'Print' under the 'Files' drop down menu is the selection 'Print Presets.' When you click on that, you get another popup menu called 'Print Presets.' If you click on 'New,' you get a 'New Print Preset' menu. If you click on 'Color Management' you find in 'Options,' 'Color Handling.' If you select 'Let InDesign Determine Colors' from the drop-down list, I can select a 'Printer Profile' which, in CS2 & CS3, brings up a drop-down list of all the color correction curves that are available on my computer. These curves are collections of printer manufacturer supplied information and curves I develop myself with ColorVision's PrintFIX PRO.

I need this capability because I publish a magazine, Model Engine Builder and have to send accurate proofs to my printer along with my InDesign files. Using these color correction curves allows me to get good proofs from printers for which there are no accurate curves for the proofing paper I use.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-7071a.h tml is the help page regarding this subject although this particular page does not indicate where the color correction files should reside. However, the location is supposedly identical for CS2, CS3 and CS6 versions of InDesign.

If you know how to move the Print Presets from CS3 to CS6, I would appreciate the information as the large set I've developed would be a real pain to redevelop.

Thanks for your help and time.

• 7. Re: How do I import printer correction curves into ID CS6.
                      Peter Spier CommunityMVP

OK, so by "color correction curves" you mean ICC profiles. What's your OS?

In the meantime, if you go back to the Print Presets > Define... dialog in CS3 you can select your presets, then click the Save button and you'll be prompted to choose a location where you'd like to save them. Once you do that, open the same Print Presets > Define... dialog in CS6 and click the Load button. Navigat to where you saved your set, select it, and say OK.

• 8. Re: How do I import printer correction curves into ID CS6.

Peter,

XP Pro, SP3 with all the .net upgrades, etc.

I'll try the relocation idea today and get back to you.

Thanks.

• 9. Re: How do I import printer correction curves into ID CS6.
                          rob day CommunityMVP

In OSX there are a myriad of places where profiles can reside. To make them globally available to all applications I can supposedly put them in OS/Library/ColorSync/Profiles. But, ID can be fussy and want them in the application specific profile folder which on OSX is /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles/Recommended. Maybe Peter can give the equivalent folder for XPpro

Although it is possible to build curve based profiles (Photoshop lets you do it via the legacy Separation Setup), the current generation of icc profiles are generated by reading large sets color patches from printer proofs with a colorimeter—there are no curves. That's what threw us off.

• 10. Re: How do I import printer correction curves into ID CS6.
                            Peter Spier CommunityMVP

profiles should be in C:\windows\System32\spool\drivers\color. You can add them as well to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Color\Profiles to be sure they show in the adobe app lists, and into C:\Program Files \Common Files\Adobe\Color\Profiles\Recommended to get them inthe grouping at the top of those lists.

• 11. Re: How do I import printer correction curves into ID CS6.

OK, here is the fix I found.

First, profiles should be in C:\windows\System32\spool\drivers\color. This is where they were.

You can add them as well to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Color\Profiles I copied the files to this location.

to be sure they show in the adobe app lists, and into

C:\Program Files \Common Files\Adobe\Color\Profiles\Recommended  I copied the files to this location.

Then I went into Print Presets and proceeded to set one up. Under Color Management, Let InDesign Determine Colors, the list still did not show up. So I selected Setup on the lower right hand corner and went into the Print menu. There I selected the printer and went through the setup specific to that printer. When I returned to the Color Management menu, the list of Printer Profiles was present.

Talk about not being intuitive!

Thanks, Peter and Rob.

• 12. Re: How do I import printer correction curves into ID CS6.
                                Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Did you ever try just saving and loading the old ones?

• 13. Re: How do I import printer correction curves into ID CS6.

Peter,

Not certain what you mean by that but the existing curves were loaded as stated in the InDesign Help Menu at C:\windows\System32\spool\drivers\color which is where InDesign CS2 & CS3 happily found them.

Happily printing away with color corrections applied.

• 14. Re: How do I import printer correction curves into ID CS6.
                                    Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Back in post 7 I told you how to save your presets from CS3 and load them into CS6 without having to rebuild them all.

• 15. Re: How do I import printer correction curves into ID CS6.
                                      rob day CommunityMVP

I think the problem is CS6 doesn't know where the profile that's included in the CS3 preset is. If the profile isn't available the saved preset will default to the document profile.