• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS CS6 Auto Recover??? Posted earlier but seems to have vanished

Enthusiast ,
Jun 14, 2012 Jun 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi... posted this earlier but the problem/question seems to have vanished... so, reposting.

Was asked to troubleshoot a Win 7 PS13 (CS6) crash today - first time to my knowledge PS has ever crashed! On restart, no Auto Recover option. All work lost. Did some checking.

Found two folders:

1. On the boot disk, found Users\xxxx...\....\AutoRecover

2. On the exclusive scratch disk - set on G: - found the folder G:\PSAutoRecover (as well as the PS temp file in the root of G:).

Both the AutoRecover folders were empty.

Set auto save time to 5 minutes... Rebooted. Restarted PS and created a new file - test01.psd. Saved it. Did some work, didn't save... kept checking... (played games for 15 mins). Checked. Both AutoRecover files remained empty.

Crashed the system (forced shutdown). Auto recover option and the test file was not showing up in the recent files list... opened the original test01.psd. No work subsequent to the original save showed up. Nor any recovery option. Did some more work on the file... just checked... both the AutoRecover folders are still empty.

(Just closed PS and saw that the PS temp file deleted itself. Both the AutoRecovery folders remain - empty.}

So, my questions are:

1. Is there a 'Permissions' attribute i need to set? Or...

2. Is the AutoRecover messed up? Or...

3. Is the installation messed up and should i advise a reinstallation?

TIA....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having tested the auto-save and recovery feature only in the Ps CS6 public beta, I just followed your footsteps.

Only thing that's different is that I had the Auto-Save interval set for 5 minutes before starting Photoshop.  My scratch disk is C:.

• I opened a file at 3:25pm, made some edits, and waited (doing other things on my system).

• At 3:30pm a PSB file, named for my document with a bunch of hex digits following showed up in folder:
    C:\Users\NoelC\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\AutoRecover

• I forced Photoshop closed by ending the Photoshop.exe process in Task Manager.

• Upon starting Photoshop again, my file, with the edits from 3:25pm opened.

So I guess it CAN work.

Perhaps it uses whatever setting was already active when Photoshop was first opened.  You should try setting the Auto-Save time to 5 minutes, then close Photoshop normally, reopen, and test again.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel... Did that... meaning set auto save to 5 mins. Not just restarted PS but rebooted the system! (Actually for other reasons - update install).

Both C:\Users\RonitaC\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\AutoRecover and PSAutoRecover on G: drive (the exclusive scratch disk) remained empty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do you guys see autorecover?  I know the address but a click on Adobe Photoshop CS6 just yields:

CS6, CS6 Settings, Optimized Colors, Optiminzed Output Colors, Optimized Settings, Presets

What am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt Y wrote:

Where do you guys see autorecover?

Exactly at the path I listed above in bold text. 

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was were I was, and same address I gave in his "dissapeared" post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt... it's there... suggest you try following from the beginning... here's the path again:

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\AutoRecover

BTW... am not sure but seem to have figured out the problem.

AutoRecover seems to work only if the primary scratch disk is set to C:.

I configured Ronita's system to scratch disk set to C. The autorecover file popped up in the path above. I then changed her primary scratch disk back to G: and set C; as the secondary scratch. No autorecover file.

So, all in all, this seems to be a bit of a bummer... AutoRecover will only work if the primary scratch is set to the boot disk...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 15, 2012 Jun 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I have said above I just can not find CS6\autoRecovery.  Here is a screen shot.

cs6 recovery.JPG

Looked in folders and could not see it there either.  So what am I missiing.  New Glasses?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look first on the primary scratch drive if it is not C:.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Noel, yes it was folder on the scratch drive labeled PSAutoRecover.

Thought I was going blind as could not see it in spot everyone else had it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel...

The AutoRecover feature does not seem to work unless the primary scratch disk is set to C:\ (or whatever is the original default - the boot disk I presume).

Have tried it with:

1. Primary and sole scratch as X:\ - the folders are there (under the user's path as AutoRecover and PSAutoRecover on the scratch disk) but no autorecover file

2. Primary set to the default of C:\ - it works - this seems to be the only instance that it works

3. Primary set to X:\ and secondary to C:\ - does not work - all folders present as in 1. above but no autorecover file

I have not tried primary as C;\ and secondary as X:\ as that is self-defeating, given you want an exclusive disk for the scratch file...

Could you please test and revert? I have access to only one CS6 installation at the moment - the person who called me with the initial problem. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity, is X: a network drive?

I'm pretty sure Photoshop doesn't want to have anything to do with network drives.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel...

No, X is not a network drive... just meant to say any drive other than C:. The originial problem was with G: drive - the first partition of another HDD devoted exclusively for PS's use as a scratch disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know what to tell ya...  Sounds like a malfunction.

Did you clear Photoshop preferences on the machine with the problem?

Just to double check...  Does the username of the user have Full Control access to the root folder of G:?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel...

Yes, i deleted the pref file. The username has full write access (Admin properties).

Just tested again... creates the 'PSAutoRecover' folder but no content inside...

This just doesn't seem to work on this system...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the VERY basic question, but you DID do something to the document before waiting 5 minutes, right?  I think it will only auto-save if there are unsaved modifications in the document.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried my AutoRecovery function and it worked as advertised.  File added to Scratch(S:)/PsAutoRecover.

It is on a partition of a seperate physical drive from C.  Made a moditication of photo then ended PS with Task Manager (Win7)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah!.. So then it works as advertised... must be something wrong with some setting or other at this end... Because the recover folders are created but they just don't get populated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 16, 2012 Jun 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All my drives are internal.  If using an external for your scratch (not recommended) then you may run into permission problems to write.

If using an internal, and it still does not work guess the only thing left is reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Curt... no, the scratch is on internal drives... guess a reinstall is called for... but will now have to wait till Monday...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further... went into the drive where the scratch file is located (G:\) and checked permissions, etc... even reset some of them to giving all users full access... no luck... but the strange thing is the folder - PSAutoRecover - is created. It just doesn't get populated. Guess one will have to just try a reinstall...

And as stated earlier, if the primary scratch is set to C:\, everything works...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shunithD wrote:

if ... is set to C:\, everything works...

Generally speaking, Windows and applications written for Windows just seem to like drive C: best.  It has always been thus and probably will always be.

This is a good example of why I created a super high speed SSD array for my own drive C:.  Everything just works and it's very, very fast.  I can hardly tell when Photoshop begins to go to its swap file.

If I were asked for advice how to configure a workstation I'd go against the general advice to set up a separate scratch drive and I'd advise setting up a big honkin' RAID 0 drive C: just like what I've done - using SSDs if the budget will allow, or with two or more high reliability spinning drives if not.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

This is a good example of why I created a super high speed SSD array for my own drive C:.  Everything just works and it's very, very fast.  I can hardly tell when Photoshop begins to go to its swap file.

Yup, i saw that suggestion in another thread... the one where the OP wanted to install a stripped down PS. You're probably right and it's an option i'll look into for my own system.The problem being faced in this instance is, however, unfortunately beyond my control .

BTW... have seen a lot of your posts in Windows tech problem related fora...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 16, 2012 Jul 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just did a new install of PS Extended - same problem. If the primary scratch is set to anything other than C:\. PS creates the AutoRecover folder but will not populate it.

On C:\ drive, in the users\etc.\etc\ path the folder is called: AutoRecover

On the other (non-C:) drive it is : PSAutoRecover

And yes, i did a complete uninstall of CS6, ran the AdobeCreativeSuiteCleanerTool and then reinstalled CS6. No change...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 17, 2012 Jul 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil...

Think you can somehow help... Have done the following, again today:

1. Uninstalled the entire CS Suite. This includes registry and folders

2. Ran the Adobe CS6 Cleanup tool - twice. Once for the entire suite and a second time for PS

3. Ran a registry clean up program

4. Did a Disk defragment - not really important, but still

5. Rebooted between various stages...

6. Reinstalled CS6 Master Collection minus some programs which are not needed such as Flash, AI 32 bit, etc. But installed both versions of PS

7. Validated using PS

8. Started - separately - both versions of PS. Set scratch to E drive (primary partition - 100GB) and Autorecover to 5 mins

9. Ran both versions of PS and opened and modified a file

In each case, the 'PSAutoRecover' folder was created on the scratch drive - E:\ alongwith the PS temp file. But the 'PSAutoRecover' folder never got populated.

Must be something unique to this system but can't figure out what. It can't be a permissions issue because both the scratch file and the autorecover folder are being created.

BTW... all Adobe entries in the config.sys startup are disabled - except for the Adobe CS6 Service Manager. But can't be those either as they are all related to updates, Acrobat, etc.

Yet, putting the primary scratch on C;\ solves the problem. However, as both Curt and you have tested, that should not be an issue...

(Have not been able to check on any other system as this is the only one that has CS6.)

System specs: Intel i5 processor, 12gb RAM, 64bit Win 7, P-55 USB3 Motherboard

Grateful for any suggestions / ideas...

Cheers...

S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines