7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2013 12:48 PM by BobLevine RSS

Adobe Content Viewer/no interactivity or animation

aaschneider Community Member

We're running InDesign CS5.5

I work at an advertising agency and just had my IT department update my extensions to:

Folio Producer Tools v.1.10.1

Folio Panel v.12.2.2.1

I also updated my Adobe Content Viewer App on my iPad 2.

My problem:

The pages show up in Content Viewer, but no interactivity or animation of any kind works now. It used to.

Thanks,

Aaron

• 1. Re: Adobe Content Viewer/no interactivity or animation
          BobLevine UGM

Animation? InDesign Animation?

It doesn’t work and never has. Hopefully coming in the future but don’t hold your breath.

Bob

• 2. Re: Adobe Content Viewer/no interactivity or animation

Ok. Forgot InDesign Animation is for PDF export. Some of the animation I was using in my Folio was sparse... I can live without it.

HOWEVER, these interactive items work on the local/computer Preview Panel, but DON'T work

in the Content Viewer App (per the specs in my original post).

• Buttons used to change a multi-state object on the same page
            • scrollable frames

Slideshow does work with the Content View app.

I can share the folio with you if you want. What's your screen name?

• 3. Re: Adobe Content Viewer/no interactivity or animation
              Bob Bringhurst - Adobe Adobe Employee

When you're working with DPS, ignore the Preview panel. Use only the Adobe Content Viewer (either the desktop version or the device version) to preview your content.

• 4. Re: Adobe Content Viewer/no interactivity or animation
                BobLevine UGM

Animations DO NOT work with PDF! It’s SWF only.

What do you have assigned as the action for the buttons.

How did you set up the scrollable frames?

Screenshots would help.

Bob

• 5. Re: Adobe Content Viewer/no interactivity or animation

[Animations DO NOT work with PDF! It’s SWF only.]

You are right, I was remembering a robust presentation we did a while ago and we hosted it as an SWF file on the web. I thought it was a "PDF (Interactive)." Thanks for setting us all straight.

Much to your benefit... I spoke with another Art Director here and we figured out why my elements weren't working.

Here are the answers for everyone's benefit:

1. SCROLLABLE FRAME: I didn't include the Empty graphic box on the far right of the active viewable area. (See Bob Bringhurst's "Digital Publishing Suite Tips App")

2. All BUTTONS must be scripted "On Release" (I incorrectly had it as "On Click")

3. My second BUTTON was an info icon that I wanted to show a modal [pop-up] window and then have some way to close that new window.

Incorrect way:

I made both the info icon and the modal window as buttons and used the "Show/Hide button" actionscript. This doesn't work with "On Release."

Correct way:

Make the modal window into a Multi-state Object.

State 1= No Fill/empty graphic box. State 2= the complete modal window. State 1 is the default view so it appears blank when the viewer first sees the page. The info icon button "On Release" shows State 2.

To make the modal window disappear, create a separate No Fill/empty graphic box DIRECTLY OVER the modal window. (Don't to forget to add an "X" or "Close" into the design as a visual clue only). Make this empty box a button and have it script "On Release" to show State 1 of your multi-state object modal window.

Thanks to you guys! I'm sure I'll have more. And thanks a million for the App with tips Bob B., keep updating this please!

• 6. Re: Adobe Content Viewer/no interactivity or animation
                    FourColorInc Community Member

Bob,

I am very new to this DPS stuff but have been creating a magazine for over seven years on indesign.

My problem...understanding content viewer? I do not have an iPad, yet, but would like to preview my work accurately before publishing our new digital magazine.

I am creating an interactive media guide for our sales team so as to get my feet wet before getting dunked.

I've created a folio by adding articles using the "add open" document function. I have three articles and the cover, with animation, is not working in the content viewr but does work in the SWF preview selection?

I made sure that all three of my articles were created as png files, NOT pdf's.

however the other two pages do not have animation but slideshow properties.

Any ideas on why my content viewer is failing?

• 7. Re: Adobe Content Viewer/no interactivity or animation
                      BobLevine UGM

First off... BUY AN iPAD! You're going to drive yourself nuts if you don't have one.

Secondly when I said animations are SWF only, that's it! No DPS, no PDF.

And it seems you're confusing the PDF format for folios with PDF documents. In either case it remains the same. You can't use native InDesign animations.

Bob