27 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2013 10:32 AM by Bob Bringhurst - Adobe RSS

Renditions in iPhone

LaboratorioDeIdeas

Hi all....

Ive been working on a series of travel guides for one of our clientes. We are doing an iPhone only version of the Viewer using the latest content viewer builder. This app has been rejected two times by Apple; the first rejection was based on the fact that it was crashing on the iPad 2 5.1.1. Today, Ive got our second rejection, this time based on that it wasnt  running at iPhone resolution and/or 2x iPhone 3GS resolution when reviewed on iPad. 

I feel very confused. I read the guides posted by Adobe and I dont know what am I doing wrong.

The folios we are making are based on iPhone 4 resolution 960x640 only. We are not creating renditions for iPhone 3GS 480x320. I have no idea of iOS internals, but does any one know if its a-must to have also a rendition for iPhone availble.

Can anyone guide me regarding this matter?

Thanks

Daniel Echeverri

• 1. Re: Renditions in iPhone
          Bob Bringhurst - Adobe Adobe Employee

I'm guessing that your 960x640 folios are causing the viewer in the iPhone 3GS to crash. If that's the case, my recommendation would be a create renditions. You shouldn't have to create new source files -- just new folios. If you create a 480x320 folio and import your 960x640 articles, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

• 2. Re: Renditions in iPhone
            LaboratorioDeIdeas Community Member

Well... i tought that this issue was getting resolved by creating renditions for 3GS. But not. Last week ive submited to Apple again my app, after creating the new renditions. Today, ive got a new rejection, this time citing:

We found that your app crashed on launch on iPad (3rd Gen) running iOS 5.1.1, which is not in compliance with the App Store Review Guidelines.

On my crash report im having the following:

Application Specific Information:

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'Could not load NIB in bundle: 'NSBundle </var/mobile/Applications/8993069B-7745-4CA7-95B8-B60DE485004C/viewer.app> (loaded)' with name 'MainWindow''

Im going mad. I have not done anything different than making simple Folios and creating a Viewer with Viewer Builder. Else, in fact, its a simple travel guide with just some HyperLinks. Im not using complex overlays, nor video, audio, panoramas,galleries,etc...

Can someone shed some light on what am I doing wrong??

Daniel

P.S: If someone wants to see my folios, let me know and I will share them.

• 3. Re: Renditions in iPhone
              Himanshusingh10 Adobe Employee

You have written "We are doing an iPhone only version of the Viewer using the latest content viewer builder". If you are submitting an iPhone only version, Apple should not be reviewing it on iPad. Can you check if you have built a universal build (Both iPhone and iPad) or just iPhone.

• 4. Re: Renditions in iPhone

I know!!! Its an iphone only app. But still i guess that since you can also install iphone apps in ipad they have to check it.

Im in a deadlock, ive tried changing several parameters in the viewer building but keeps crashing on my ipad.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone

• 5. Re: Renditions in iPhone
                  Himanshusingh10 Adobe Employee

I would suggest to contact Apple and let them know that this is an iPhone only App and is not intended to work on iPad. iPhone apps and iPad apps are separately available.

Just be sure to check in Viewer Builder that you have selected iPhone only. Also make sure it works on iPhone.

• 6. Re: Renditions in iPhone

Its confirmed, its iphone only in the viewer builder. Actually the first time ive got a rejection ive wrote in the Resolution Center that i was an iPhone ONLY app. Never got a reply. I will try again and let you know how things work out.

Sent from my iPhone

• 7. Re: Renditions in iPhone

BTW, works perfectly in iPhone4, 4S and 3GS. Tested on all iphones.

Sent from my iPhone

• 8. Re: Renditions in iPhone

Ive submited in the a App Review to the Board in  Resolution Center. Got a confirmation emai from the telling me they will review it ASAP. Im not very positive about this, I tested my app in my iPad 1st Gen, and iPad 3rd Gen and is still crashing. Works perfectly on iPhone4/4S/3GS. I tested in iOS 5.1.1 and iOS 6.0 Beta 1

Bob or Himanshu, do you have any reports on more people with my case? What would be a work around in case Apple rejects my review?

• 9. Re: Renditions in iPhone

I haven't heard of anyone else report this issue, but I'm not aware of anyone else who is creating an iPhone-only viewer app. When you create the iPhone-only app in Viewer Builder, can you load the .ipa file on an iPad?

• 10. Re: Renditions in iPhone

Yes. I can install it in an ipad but when it launches it inmediatly crashes. Not even the splash screen

Sent from my iPhone

• 11. Re: Renditions in iPhone

Hi all:

Ive just got an answer from Apple Rejection Center:

Thank you for providing the appropriate information.

It would be appropriate to submit a revised binary that restricts the usage of your app to iPhone only.

For information on available keys, see Declaring the Required Device Capabilities section of the iOS Application Programming Guide.

Im not a developer, I have no idea how to declare this, in fact I dont even know what they are talking about. My job is to design and create content. My client is really concerned about this because we have a deadline for delivery of this product. Im 100% sure that im selecting the iPhone only option in Viewer Builder. I did several times that today just to be sure.

I just hope that in the upcomming 21v this issue will be resolved in the Viewer Builder. Or else im in a deep problem.

• 12. Re: Renditions in iPhone

Thanks for letting us know. This looks like a bug in Viewer Builder. I'll let you know when I find more information.

• 13. Re: Renditions in iPhone

The DPS team is looking into this issue. We were mistakenly thinking that an iPhone-only viewer app didn't need to work on the iPad, but Apple requires that iPhone apps should work on the iPad. It's uncertain whether Adobe will address this issue through a hot fix or wait until the next release. The current workaround is to create a universal viewer app (iPad and iPhone). You'll want to include at least one iPad folio so that the library isn't empty. Sorry about this issue and the delay in getting back to you.

• 14. Re: Renditions in iPhone

Yep… that was what I think Ill do while there is a hot fix (I hope is a hot fix and not having to wait until a new release). Thanks!

El 20/06/2012, a las 10:37, Bob Bringhurst escribió:

Re: Renditions in iPhone

created by Bob Bringhurst in Digital Publishing Suite - View the full discussion

The DPS team is looking into this issue. We were mistakenly thinking that an iPhone-only viewer app didn't need to work on the iPad, but Apple requires that iPhone apps should work on the iPad. It's uncertain whether Adobe will address this issue through a hot fix or wait until the next release. The current workaround is to create a universal viewer app (iPad and iPhone). You'll want to include at least one iPad folio so that the library isn't empty. Sorry about this issue and the delay in getting back to you.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4507750#4507750

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4507750#4507750. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Digital Publishing Suite by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 15. Re: Renditions in iPhone

UPDATE: So, I followed Bob´s sugestion about creating an Universal App. I did, and also placed a Folio for the iPad version, and 3 folios for the iPhone verstion. Since my real interest is the iPhone part, the iPad folio I created was a single page folio with a text inviting the users to install the app in their iPhones.

Last week I submited it again to Apple. Today, i´ve got a new rejection, citing not enough content in the app. Again, so frustrated about this. The iPhone part has 3 folios, with lots of info and contents, and multimedia stuff. Now, my client is really pissed, we where hopping for launching the app today, and we are about to loose a big contract with them. I will publish a more complete folio for the iPad version, hopping this time will be approved.

What pisses me off, is that Adobe is offering a product (the iPhone only part, iPad DPS ROCKS!!) that is far from being finished, and many of us are loosing time and credibility with our clients.

I just hope, Adobe can offer at least a hotfix for this issue ASAP and not having to wait at least a month or more for a working version of the Viewer Builder.

• 16. Re: Renditions in iPhone
                                        nikmcilwain1123

Has there been any fix yet? Unfortunately I stumbled on this thread much too late, and now am facing the same issue. I can't beleive this was overlooked. Just curious if I have to create an iPad folio now?

Thanks

• 17. Re: Renditions in iPhone

This issue still has not been resolved. You cannot create a iPhone-only app at this time.

• 18. Re: Renditions in iPhone
                                            nikmcilwain1123 Community Member

In order to use the above fix, we have to create the app as a universal app. How then can we change the Adobe ID that is linked with that account to be a universal app, as it was setup as an iPhone only app?

• 19. Re: Renditions in iPhone

You cant. Younhave to use the same account for the app. Also, apple will reject your app if you have the ipad part of the app empty (no folios)

Sent from my iPad

• 20. Re: Renditions in iPhone

Just so I'm clear, you're saying that we have to create a new Adobe ID / DPS account, make that a universal app, and import all the articles? Basically start from square one?

• 21. Re: Renditions in iPhone

No. Your account will work for both ipad and iphone. What i mean is that you have to create extra contents in ipad resolution. Apple wont let you publish a uniersal app if there is no content for all devices.

Sent from my iPad

• 22. Re: Renditions in iPhone

I've created a folio at 768 x 1024, but it still crashes everytime I try to open it on an iPad. It flashes "ViewSubEnt iPad 768x1024"

I've rebuilt the app, uploaded the folio. No idea why it won't show up.

• 23. Re: Renditions in iPhone

What happens if you try to preview the folio using the Desktop Viewer? Do you get an error message?

• 24. Re: Renditions in iPhone

I've tried creating articles by importing from my existing folios, and also manually by creating a new doc at my folio size and saving it as an article.

When I try to preview the entire folio I get the following error:

"An error has occurred while generating folio preview.

'Untitled Article' does not match the folio orientation intent. Layouts in articles must match the folio orientation intent."

When I try to preview the article I manually created, I get this error:

"Error. This folio contains one or more staks that are not yet supported in Content Viewer for Desktop. PDF stacks are only supported on iOS viewers."

Lastly, when I preview the article that was imported from my 640 x 960px, iPhone folio, the preview works but the images show up as missing, and my overlays are not there. Basically, only the text appears.

• 25. Re: Renditions in iPhone

Is this bug being addressed?

• 26. Re: Renditions in iPhone

Hey, is there any update here? We have clients that are interested in iPhone only but do not want to create universal viewers and make that content themselves.
                                                            Thank you,
                                                            Nik

• 27. Re: Renditions in iPhone

This is an old, meadering thread. Please start a new thread with your question.