34 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2012 6:29 PM by the_wine_snob RSS

Reduce size of video to download

jahmanwife@hotmail.com Community Member

I am getting closer to the launch of a new on-line educational video series and would like to offer the customer a high resolution and low resolution download.  These are sent to the user through an automated system to be downloaded to their computer.

I saved the originals to share using the standard settings as an MPEG, NTSC Widescreen, 740x480, 29.97 fps.  The biggest one is 2 gb.

Are you able to give me an idea as to what to change to reduce their size without ruining the quality of video?

THANKS in advance for your support!

Linda

• 1. Re: Reduce size of video to download
          the_wine_snob Community Member

Will these be only viewed on the end-user's computer, or will they need to work with them, say by editing them?

If ONLY for viewing, then the newer DivX CODEC's work well. They allow for greater compression, with good quality at lower Bit-Rates.

One potential downside is that the end-users will need the DivX CODEC's installed, to use. The CODEC's are free, but could require them to do a download and install - something that might not be allowed on a corporate computer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Reduce size of video to download

Hi Bill,

These are copyrighted video's and not to be used for anything other then viewing on their personal computer and not in a corporate environment.  Where would I find the DivX CODEC's?  Are they in the selections in Premiere?  If so, where?  And then if you don't mind do you have a reliable source that I could offer to them upfront for the download of this to their own computer?  Do you have an idea much smaller the end product would be if I use this for the lower res files?

THANKS!!!!

• 3. Re: Reduce size of video to download

I would start at DivX, but make sure that you look at all of the options. There are the CODEC's, players, and then some "Pro" Encoding/Decoding tools, that are for sale. Before just downloading, or buying a bunch of stuff, spend some time reading on the site.

Once the CODEC's are properly installed, they should be available in the Advanced/Options area for MS-AVI output.

I have the CODEC's, and players (not the ultimate players, and installation will often "hook" some other AV formats in the File Associations area), on both main computers, plus the "Pro" utilities on the workstation. As I only have PrE on the laptop, I cannot tell you of any limitations with the Pro utilities, but PrE will use the DivX CODEC's just fine, in my installation.

If you are doing a lot of these, and also want even more control, then the Pro utilities might be worth the price, but with only a few, just the free CODEC's, and PrE, should be just fine.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Reduce size of video to download

I'm sure I'll have no problem downloading the program but may have some questions about how to find them in the program.  Will post if I need more help.  Thanks Hunt!

• 5. Re: Reduce size of video to download

If you do have any issues, just stop back by.

Remember, you will go to Share Tab, and then choose Personal Computer>Microsoft AVI (not DV-AVI), then under Video>Compressor, choose DivX from the drop-down.

Also, after you install the DivX CODEC's, be sure to re-boot the computer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Reduce size of video to download

Thanks Hunt,

I want to be sure I'm looking at the right download.  If you don't mind ... is this what you are suggesting for the Codec's - http://www.divx.com/en/software/divx-plus/codec-pack

I see the pack has 4 different codes.  How do I decide which one I should use?

MKV

H.264

AAC

AVI

I know I've seen H.265 & AVI in PrE.  Not sure about the AAC.  So by process of elimination is it the MKV format that I want to use?

Please bear with me I honestly still don't understand how all of this works.  If I use one of these settings will my client have to load one of their players or just the Codec that I end up saving the video in?  If that's the case will they still be able to use the common players?  That's kinda what it looks like to me when reviewing the information @ DivX.

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Reduce size of video to download

It has been a long time, since I last downloaded the DivX CODEC's, but that looks about right.

Before you do any install, I would create a System Restore Point, for now - just in case.

As for the CODEC's to use, the AVI one will likely be what you want. MKV (Matroska) and H.264 (the CODEC of MP4's and AVCHD MTS, plus some others) are for other files, and AAC is an Audio CODEC (Advanced Audio CODEC).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Reduce size of video to download

If I use one of these settings will my client have to load one of their players or just the Codec that I end up saving the video in?

They will only need the CODEC, or, if they use a video player, such as VLC, or MediaPlayer Classic HC, they will already have it. I personally find both of those to be much better than the DivX player, or Windows Media Player. Both are free, and contain many common CODEC's. They can also use many CODEC's installed on a system, if they do not have the one(s) necessary. Many like them, because they do not install any CODEC's onto a system, but still will play so very much, and better than a lot of other players.

For a bit more detail on CODEC's in general, this ARTICLE might be useful.

Note: I have seen some recent reports of the DivX Player updates messing up some Adobe products. If you use the DivX Player, I would definitely turn the Auto Update feature OFF - actually, I do that with about every program, as I do not want anything updating, without me knowing about it, so I can create a System Restore Point before ANY updates are done.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Reduce size of video to download

Thanks for this information Hunt.  I see that PrE has AVI and it's explanation is to use it for editing in Adobe PrE.  Would this one give the same results as the Codec from DivX?  If so, would I select the AVI and then use the DV NTSC like I did in the last one or select the Windows AVI?  Any help here is appreciated. 

Going to get to that article in a few minutes.  Thanks for sending it.

Linda.

• 10. Re: Reduce size of video to download

For Export/Share, do NOT use DV-AVI. That is a very specific CODEC, and not likely what you want, though it is a good CODEC, for its purposes. It has about 5% compression, and the files end up being ~ 13GB per hour of runtime. However, they are universal to PC's. This is the CODEC, that PrE is really built around. Really nothing better, but it is SD only, so is not possible with HD material.

What you will want, instead, is Microsoft AVI, and then in the Compressor, choose the DivX CODEC.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Reduce size of video to download

Okay I hear ya!  I still don't know what I'm doing but I trust you do!!!!  THANKS! 

The download wants to know if I want all of the components.  The download wants to know if I want the Converter, Plus Player and Web Player.  From what you said these aren't necessary.  Right?

LOL, you keep wishing me Good luck ... I should wish you that!

THANKS!

• 12. Re: Reduce size of video to download

I would not not install any components, that are not needed. I would stick with just the CODEC's for now.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Reduce size of video to download

Okay, so that's what I did.  Just the Codec's and rebooted the system.  I have the video loaded in PrE and am going through the Share -> Computer  -> MPEG for the personal computer but don't see the MS AVI listed in the Advanced/Options.  Do I need to import this into the system from the installation I did?

THANKS!

Linda

• 14. Re: Reduce size of video to download

You need to scroll, to see the MS AVI. You don't want MPEG. Look for the tiny scroll bars on the far right, and move those, to get to MS-AVI.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Reduce size of video to download

Good morning Hunt!

You are a patient man.  Thank you!

I was scrolling up and down to try to find the right selection.  I finally decided to try to find the MS-AVi in the AVI selection under the computer heading and it was there.  I am now looking under the Advanced/Options ... Video Codec to locate the DivX code but it's not showing up.  Should I have downloaded those into a certain folder for them to appear in PrE?

THANKS!

Linda

• 16. Re: Reduce size of video to download

Linda,

The CODEC's are not in PrE. They are installed into the system. PrE looks at the system, to find potential CODEC's to use as Compressor. Usually, the defaul will be CinePak by Radiius (a very old CODEC, that should not be used, but is usually the "first on the list."). There should be a little down-arrow, besides CinePak, and when one clicks on it, a list of possible CODEC's will be revealed. The DivX CODEC should appear there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Reduce size of video to download

Thanks for this information.  I've looked around again and still don't see an area to choose the DivX choice.  I did get an installation successful on the Codec's when I did it last night so not quite sure what I'm missing. 

Here's a screen shot of where I am trying to locate the DivX under the Video Codec.  Sorry I couldn't get that box to stay open when making the screen shot but I don't see DivX or CineMax either.  There's DV NTSC, MS RLE or MS Video1, Intel IYUV Codec, Uncompressed UYVY 422 8bt or None.

video save - hunt.JPG

This is why I thought maybe I needed to download and install the Codec's in a certain area.

THANKS!

Linda

• 18. Re: Reduce size of video to download

When you go to Video CODEC, and click the little arrow, do you not see the DivX CODEC in that drop-down?

video+save+-+hunt.png

If not, then it might be that the DivX CODEC did not install properly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Reduce size of video to download

I wish it was in that drop down but it's not.  I just re-installed them and will have to wait a little bit to reboot since I'm doing an upload on something that is taking a while.  Will let you know if it shows up.  Again the installation shows it was successful.  I have tried a search for divx on the computer and the installation package is all that shows up.  So I wonder where it is going?

THANKS,

Linda

• 20. Re: Reduce size of video to download

Linda,

It sounds like it is not installing properly.

I would use G-Spot (free, and great video utility), and look in the Toolbar>Tables>Video CODEC's. Do you see the DivX CODEC there?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: Reduce size of video to download

Hi Bill,

I downloaded G-Spot and yes there is DivX in the Video Codec's. 

I copied it to show you.  DIVX DivX 4 (OpenDivX) Project Mayo

What do you think is going on?

THANKS,

Linda

• 22. Re: Reduce size of video to download

OK, thanks for that.

Can you twirl down the Video CODEC drop-down and post a screen-cap, showing all of the CODEC's that are showing?

Good luck,

Hun

• 23. Re: Reduce size of video to download

Hi Bill,

I tried to do the screen capture with the drop down opened for the Video CODEC but it kept closing. 

I wrote out what I saw there:

DV NTSC

DV PAL

MS RLE

MS Video1

Intel IYUV Codec (this one is listed 2 times)

Uncompressed UYVY 422 8bt

None.

Hope this helps.

THANKS!

Linda

• 24. Re: Reduce size of video to download

Hope everyone had a very happy fathers day!

I thought I'd catch you up on what DivX had to say ....

Our codec does not support third party encoding on 64bit systems. We apologize that we are not able to offer you an immediate solution for you case. You will only be able to use the DivX Plus Converter on 64bit mode.

If this is a critical issue for you, at this point I recommend you to stay with a solution that will be able to meet your video productions needs.

We apologize for any inconvenience that may have caused you.

Thank you,

DivX Support Team

• 25. Re: Reduce size of video to download

Ah, that is good to know, and explains why my DivX CODEC is showing on my XP-Pro (32-bit) system. Thanks for that, as I learned something from it, and something that I had not considered.

The DivX Plus Converter (used to be called Pro) is a good utility. Going back, it cost about US $40. I use it on my workstation, as it offers a bit more control, than just using the CODEC out of PrPro. It does mean that you will be required to output an intermediate file, and then run that through the Encoder, but I do that to get more control and options.

Good luck, and I appreciate the info.

Hunt

PS - Xvid is the open source CODEC for DivX, but I have no idea whether it will work on a 64-bit OS. Also, I have NEVER been able to get it to work with either PrE, or PrPro - it always crashes the program, where DivX always works. Still, might be worth a test?

• 26. Re: Reduce size of video to download

I'm glad the information will help others.  So Bill I am not that computer savvy and worry about trying too many things might mess up my system and I will have problems I won't be able to fix.  I wonder if there is a selection in PrE that I could use to make a smaller video to offer to people as the low resolution?  I really need to get this project going.  Can you help with another recommendation?

THANKS!

• 27. Re: Reduce size of video to download

File size is directly related to only two things: Duration and Bit-Rate.

Quality is related to Bit-Rate, and then the compression scheme.

A good CODEC will allow quality to be held, while lowering the Bit-Rate, hence my suggestion for DivX. It allows for a lower Bit-Rate, but with maintained quality.

There is no magic bullet, and often, it takes a lot of experimentation to get things right, as it is a real balancing act.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 28. Re: Reduce size of video to download

Hi Hunt,

So I have a question about the 64bit system.  I notice my computer saves programs in 2 different program files.  One says Program Files and the other Program Files (x86).  I have no idea what this means but wonder if one of these operate in the 32 bit rate?  I'll contact Xvid to see what they say and let you know.

I'm looking at this page for the Xvid download and it appears it is made for the 65 bit OS.  I wonder if you would look at the selection for Mirror 2 and tell me if you would suggest doing the download from there since it says it has some built in fixes.

THANKS!

http://www.xvid.org/Downloads.15.0.html

• 29. Re: Reduce size of video to download
                                                                  John T Smith CommunityMVP

(x86) is the 32bit program folder

• 30. Re: Reduce size of video to download

WOW!  I'm getting quite the education here.  THANKS!

SO ... Do you think the DivX would work If I ran PrE out of that folder? 

<<Just opened PrE from the (x86) folder and looked for the DivX CODEC after selecting MS AVI but it's not there.  Decided to try the Xvid code and Norton said it's a reliable safe source but it would be dangerous to download to my computer.  Frustrating!  So I wonder if I start to mess with the MPEG if anyone can give me an idea where to start with the reduction of bit rate?.>>  THANKS!

• 31. Re: Reduce size of video to download

Hi Hunt,

Thought you might be interested in an update on my inquiry.  Got the Xvid CODEC downloaded and saved a couple of my video's using the MS AVI -> XVID-Mpeg4 CODEC and it cut the video size in half.  Hoping this is going to help people with their download time.  So .... gotta thank you for putting me in the right direction.

Fyi, no errors or problems using it with PrE.  I did start a conversation with one of the support people ahead of time just in case and he said he would walk me through any configuration problems if I had any.  I did chat with him because Xvid has a status for save box that opened but didn't show anything.  He said that wasn't needed and gave me easy to follow instructions for how to remove the box.

So far, so good!

I have some other questions but think I'll start a new thread.  SINCE THIS ONE IS OFFICIALLY ANSWERED !!!!!  YEEHA!!!!!  You're my CHAMPION!

• 32. Re: Reduce size of video to download

Great news, and thank you for reporting both your success (most important), and also your steps, as those will likely help others.

I probably need to update my Xvid CODEC's, and test Exporting to it, with my Adobe NLE programs again. My version is now pretty old, and the newer one has probably fixed a lot of issues.

When I kept getting crashes in both PrE and PrPro, I just started using DivX, and did not download newer Xvid CODEC's, or trying with later versions of PrE, or PrPro. I just turned my back, but your report will spur me to explore things a bit more, with newer CODEC's.

Thanks and good luck,

Hunt

PS - if you have a moment, you might want to mark the thread as Answered, and also use the "Was this Helpful Yes - No?" where you found good replies. That will help others, who visit the thread later, and will help Adobe do a better job with the forums.

• 33. Re: Reduce size of video to download

Hi Hunt,

Here is the download link for Xvid:  http://www.xvid.org/Downloads.15.0.html

Mirror 1 is the software download

Mirror 2 looks like it fixes problems.

Here's the fix for the status window if anyone is interested:

The status window can sometimes be a problem. Codecs, like Xvid, are actually not supposed to show a status - the window area (and showing progress) is managed by the video editing application you are using (in your case: Adobe).

So the Xvid status window is a bit of a hack. Most of the time, it works fine but not in all applications. If you have a problem with it, I suggest you simply disable it. You can do this in the Xvid encoder GUI. For this, e.g. go to:

Start->Programs->Xvid->Configure Encoder

Hope this helps someone!

I do have one other question ... real fast, I wonder if using the Xvid would be considered a low resolution video?  Remember I mentioned maybe offering the downloadable hi res, low res and a dvd to mail.  Curious as to how techies might see this.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Then in the GUI, click on the "Other Options" button and deselect the "Display encoding status" check box on the window that will then pop up.

• 34. Re: Reduce size of video to download

Great info.

When I get a moment, I will get the latest, and follow your steps.

Appreciated,

Hunt