1 2 Previous Next 43 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2014 4:56 PM by JSS1138 RSS

No Sequence Codec problem in CS6

Alex Hawkins Community Member

Hi all,

I am running CS6. I am happily editing away, close down for the night. Leave my computer on. Come back in the morning. Start up PPro again and go to open last night's project and I get this error:

"This project contained a sequence that could not be opened. No sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type"

I cannot open the project. In fact I cannot now open any of my CS6 projects. I have uninstalled and reinstalled my AJA Adobe Utilities and AJA Kona LHi drivers (10.3.1) to no avail.

I know someone's had this problem before with proxy files and switching computers but all I have done is close the project one night and tried to reopen it the next morning.

Anybody seen this before or know of a solution? I'm on a MacPro 4,1 running Lion 10.7.4. I am subscribed to the Adobe Creative Cloud. Could that be a factor?

Thanks.

Alex Hawkins

Canberra, Australia

• 1. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
          Tomislav Zidanic Community Member

I had same problem a few days ago. Finished editing for the day, woke up next morning, started Premiere and there was the same message.

I installed Windows and Premiere back again and it is working (for now). Maybe you could do the same - it worked for me.

I have tight deadlines for my current work so I don't have time to research. Hope Adobe will fix this in next update.

• 2. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6

Well having done a bit of investigating for some reason most of my sequence presets say that I need a required plug in that is not currently installed. Please re-install missing plug-in(s) and try again or choose another preset.

What is(are) the missing plug-in(s)?? Does anyone know?? Is this some sort of bug??

The only sequence presets where this message does not show up is all the DV presets, the DVCPRO presets and the Mobile & Devices presets. Every other preset is a no go and comes up with the message mentioned above.

Any help on this intriguing, frustrating, annoying problem would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

• 3. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
              Zac Lam Employee Hosts

Hi Alex,

Can you attach your Plugin Loading Log?  You'll find it here on MacOS:

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Premiere Pro/6.0

On Win 7 it is here:

[user folder]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Pro\6.0

If you can't attach it to this thread, you could upload it somewhere like yousendit.com.

_After_ you've saved your plug-in loading log, try relaunching Premiere Pro while holding the Shift key down to delete the plug-in cache.

BTW the Creative Cloud membership doesn't sound like the problem.

Regards,

Zac

• 4. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                Admiral Cook Community Member

"This project contained a sequence that could not be opened. No sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type"

May it be activation problem?

Try creating new project and look at sequence preset list. If there are no presets used in your projects that's why you cannot open them.

• 5. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6

Hi Zac, Thanks for your reply.

I'm on Mac 10.7.4. I don't have a Premiere Pro folder inside Application Support/Adobe. I have an Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 folder with a legal folder inside that.?

• 6. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                    Zac Lam Employee Hosts

Hey there Alex,

Sorry if it wasn't clear - the tilde '~' character refers to your user folder, but maybe that's more programmer-speak.

Can you check here: Users/[your user name]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Premiere Pro/6.0

• 7. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                      cswalsh

I had this problem - almost all my sequence presets other than DV were gone, no old projects would open.  It was a Creative Cloud activation issue - probably caused by my last crash and subsequent update.

I quit Premiere, restarted - it told me my trial was over, so I clicked license this software, and it  phoned home with my Adobe ID.  All is back to normal.

I was having a similar problem intermittently with the last build (am on 6.0.1 - 014).

• 8. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                        flounder house Community Member

I'm having the same problem. I got a new computer and now can't open my saved projects! I'm running mac os 10.7.4

• 9. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6

Hi Zac, I know what you mean but I do not have a Premiere Pro folder in that location. I still can't locate the actual file you want. These are the folders listed under my user name: Applications; Desktop; Documents; Downloads; Movies; Music; Pictures; Public; Sites.

Just as an update, I too believe it could have something to do with the Creative Cloud subscription because, interestingly, whenever the problem occurs I am immdeiately asked to licence my software via signing in with my creative cloud membership. Once I do this, create a new project then close it, hey presto I can now reopen my original projects and the presets are all back...

Thoughts?

• 10. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                            cswalsh Community Member

Alex, that was my exact experience (sign in fixed it).  Then I hit a bigger problem with my video overlays not working in source or timeline viewers, so for today it's back to Final Cut to finish my work.  Tomorrow will try CS 6 again, probably complete reinstallation.

It was working beautifully for 3 weeks prior to this last update and my Creative Cloud membership.  It does seem that Premiere can't remember that it was authorized and therefore refuses to open the projects.

• 11. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6

cswalsh wrote:

Alex, that was my exact experience (sign in fixed it).  Then I hit a bigger problem with my video overlays not working in source or timeline viewers, so for today it's back to Final Cut to finish my work.  Tomorrow will try CS 6 again, probably complete reinstallation.

It was working beautifully for 3 weeks prior to this last update and my Creative Cloud membership.  It does seem that Premiere can't remember that it was authorized and therefore refuses to open the projects.

Yeah I reckon the not remembering it's registered is a very significant thing somehow...?

• 12. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                                WesHaley Community Member

I had the same problem today. This is a MAJOR bug/problem.  I couldn't open any of my projects up.  I had to create a new project before premeire would open and then it said my trial was almost over. Had to activate again, and then restart Premiere.  I don't know what I would have done had my internet been down or I was somewhere without internet.  I hope Adobe puts this on the priority list.  Contact me if you need any log files from me to help.  I am using the creative cloud program.  I can't afford for this to happen on a day when I have to get a project out.

• 13. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                                  Zac Lam Employee Hosts

Ah, in 10.7, MacOS hides the ~/Library folder:

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/08/25/mac-101-easily-show-the-library-folder-in-lion/

I would like to get a Plugin Loading.log file from anyone who is running into this problem.  Please only send a log if you are currently seeing the bug behavior, not if you have resolved it by starting a new project.

cswalsh, are you on MacOS 10.7 too?

TomZid2012 said he saw this error on Windows.  For anyone hitting this problem on Windows, does the suggested solution to start a new project and reactivate help to workaround the issue?

For anyone seeing this error message, what operating system are you using?  And please let us know if the suggested solution works for you.

Thanks for all the input and help to narrow down this issue,

Zac

• 14. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                                    Zac Lam Employee Hosts

And for you that are running into this problem, a new question from the Creative Cloud engineering team:

Do you have a copy of Premiere Pro CS5 in active use?

• 15. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                                      WesHaley Community Member

I am running Windows 7 64bit.  Starting a new project did work but only after I contacted Adobe's servers to reauthorize my account.

Premiere Pro CS5 and Premiere Pro CS5.5 are both installed on my computer.

The problem did come up after a Premiere crashed on me to the desktop.

• 16. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                                        cswalsh Community Member

Zac - I'm still on Snow Leopard, 10.6.8.   I do have an old version of Premiere CS5 on this machine -- but I never use it.  Would be happy to uninstall if that helps.

Like Wes says, I first ran into this after a crash (due to accidentally slip trimming a clip with black slug on either side).  I updated to the lastest build and hit the bug again even after normal shutdown. 

As of today CS6 is running fine again, after reboot, didn't need to reinstall.

• 17. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                                          Zac Lam Employee Hosts

Thank you Wes and cswalsh, this is great feedback.  It does sound like this is the issue the Creative Cloud eng team is working on as bug #3202470.

If anyone else has their findings to add, with their system info, please chime in.

• 18. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6

I'm getting this error message running on mac os 10.7.4. The Plugin Loading.log doesnt seem to be any help--all my VSTs are marked in premiere to be ignored so they aren't even being loaded. But what do I know...i'll post it anyway: http://www25.zippyshare.com/v/27963071/file.html   ...hope this helps

I'm  new to premiere and I'm not sure how the information is stored, but is there a way I can access the media files as they appear in Premiere's browser/bins (ie. clips have  same names, descriptions, and in/out points) without actually opening the saved project? In other words, since at the moment I can create new projects, but not open existing ones, could I transfer everything to a new project...?

• 19. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                                              cswalsh Community Member

flounder - there are few reasons you can get this message.  One is a bug with Creative Cloud authorization (that's this thread).  Are you a Creative Cloud subscriber, and do you get a "your trial has expired" message when you start Premiere and try to create a new project?

If not, there may be another cause, like this thread about MPEG codecs: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4454161

If you start a new project, what sequence presets are available? Is it the full list like the screenshot attached?  If not, it's likely a codec problem.PPro_Sequence.png

• 20. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                                                Zac Lam Employee Hosts

It's possible that other thread on MPEG codecs is mislabeled, and at least the first 10 posts are about the same issue as this one.  Let's keep this thread about the one error message originally reported in the title.

flounder, your Plugin Loading.log looks good, thanks for that.  In particular, all your Exporter plug-ins are loading correctly.  Exporter plug-ins need to load for the export presets to work, which is essentially what the sequence preview presets are.

So for now, the diagnosis is that this problem is for Creative Cloud customers that also have Premiere Pro CS5 on their system.  And the workaround seems to be:

1) Uninstall the old Premiere Pro CS5 version (optional)

2) Launch PPro CS6

3) Reactivate the product.  To get the activation screen, some have said that creating a new project allows them to get to the activation screen from the Help menu.

Step 1 is optional, but if you don't uninstall PPro CS5, the error can reappear at a later date, requiring you to repeat the steps again.

• 21. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6

First off, sorry if this strays too far from the original topic...maybe I should I be starting a new thread? Anyway, I am not a creative cloud user and no message comes up saying my trial has expired. I also dont have Premiere CS5 installed.

The deactivate button under the help menu is greyed out. I read somewhere that I need to wait a minutes before it shows up... but even 10 minutes the deactivate button is still greyed out.

Like others, while unable  to open old projects, I am still able to start new projects. My sequence settings for new projects looks like this:Pr sequence presets.jpg

Is there a way to see the sequence settings that I used in my project that won't open?

Please help! --I really need to be able to open this project and I'm determined to fix it!

• 22. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                                                    Zac Lam Employee Hosts

flounder house, to keep these forum threads readable, can you please start a new thread?  Feel free to provide a link to it.  But let's try to keep the discussion free from confusion over separate issues.  Thanks.

• 23. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6

Sorry, I did not mean to create any confusion. I'm just desperate for any ideas, or to be pointed in the right direction! I posted a new thread here for the issue here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1024174 Any feedback would be much appreciated!

• 24. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6

Zac thanks for all this. If I've uninstalled all of CS5 except Soundbooth would that still create an issue?

• 25. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                                                          Zac Lam Employee Hosts

Yes I believe so.  I guess you'll find out soon enough if you try it out!

• 26. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                                                            JC_Berger Community Member

So does it make sense for me to add any information, or has the solution been discovered and just wait for a patch?

• 27. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                                                              scalcote Community Member

Hi Zac. FYI: the problem with Premiere CS6 suddenly deauthorizing seems to also occur in cases where Premiere 5x is NOT previously installed. I've been having the same problem for past couple of weeks on a Mac tower running 10.6.8. Cloud CS6 is first time a version of Preimere has ever been installed on this machine. The workaround of starting a new project does bring up a "trial is over" window that allows reauthorization. Looking forward to the patch that addresses this issue. Thanks!  --Steven

• 28. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                                                                Zac Lam Employee Hosts

Hi scalcote, JC_Berger,

If this thread's description of the problem and provided workaround don't match yours, then please use the other thread that flounder house opened on the issue:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1024174

Thanks,

Zac

• 29. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                                                                  JC_Berger Community Member

No it does, but it sounded like it was going to take the Creative Cloud folks some time to resolve it, I just wanted to make sure you didn't need any more sample errors for diagnosis.

• 30. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                                                                    TheJohnnyVegas Community Member

I have had the same issue-

Stated a new project- deactivated then reactivated-

Problem Solved-

I have CS5.5 installed (bummer I bought the production studio just prior to the subsription offer)

Did not uninstall CS5.5- haven't tried any overlays yet. I will update if the problem continues.

• 31. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                                                                      lorraineyoga Community Member

This same problem occurs with the disk version of CS6, not just the Cloud version, and with Windows, not just with Mac. I can't always deactivate (sometime the option is greyed out). Along with receiving the error, I keep having the CS6 trial window come up telilling me I have 28 days or something left of my trial, even though I have purchased and activated my CS6 copy. I am using a new computer and do not have any previous version of CS installed. The only product for which I have two versions is Media Encoder; I seem to have 5.5 and 6 of that, which may be because I installed Captivate 5.5.

I have called Technical Support a few times because of the Trial Version window coming up. They keep telling me to install CS6 as an administrator or to create a new user account. That is no fix. Soon I'll have a string of user accounts and a bunch of case numbers that Adobe closes because the problem goes away for a week or two before coming back.

People who are posting that their problem is solved, please check in again after a month or two. I thought the problem was solved until it came back. I know that it seems to occur when my computer goes down (usually I keep it on)

• 32. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                                                                        lorraineyoga Community Member

I am still having this problem. Today I called Adobe technical support. Their latest "fix" was to take over my computer and "update" all the CS6 software. They then assured me the problem was fixed and they closed the case. Well, I tried to read a pdf file and Acrobat Pro X came up as a trial version and the other products wouldn't open either, so we're back to square 1.

I have just called Adobe again. They tried to tell me that everything will be fixed if I turn off my anti-virus software and then enter my serial number when the trial window comes up. That same technician told me that he has solved everyone's issue with the same problem by having them re-install CS6. Been there, done that--it doesn't work. I finally convinced him to get my case escalated to the next level.

• 33. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                                                                          Zac Lam Employee Hosts

Lorraine, since your problem is not with Creative Cloud, it doesn't match this thread.  Please use the other thread as mentioned in post 28:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1024174

There is some good info from Todd Kopriva already there at the bottom of that thread.

Thanks,

Zac

• 34. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                                                                            electro_chip Community Member

Just wanted to share my expereience.  I had this problem today on Win7 Pro x64.  Instead of opening a new project, I opened Photoshop and got the "Complete your registration" bubble in the task bar, so I assumed it 'phoned home' and when I opened Premiere again, I could open my project without the error.  Didn't happen on my MacBook Pro 10.8 Mountain Lion.

-Chip

• 35. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                                                                              Daniel Ekins Community Member

So now what is the simple, understandable and applicable solution to this problem for fresh man prp6?

• 36. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                                                                                Eliotjo Community Member

I see this is a dated thread but I did not see a solution.  I today (24Jan2013) contacted Adobe tech support.  (first time through I was disconnected).  I got through 2nd time to tech support.  The rep commandeered my computer, deactivated and reactivated my Creative Cloud subscription for Premiere Pro CS6.  This solved the problem.  I was asked to test other projects prior to the solution and was able to repeat Alex problem for each problem.  I then asked if Adobe was addressing the problem which required deactivation and reactivation.  I was advised I would be contacted by phone.  I am keeping the record of my contact with Adobe and will update this forum when I receive the response.

• 37. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                                                                                  johnnyb2u Community Member

I'm dealing with this as we speak. Nothing opens and new projects default to DV settings, nothing much more is available.

Did you see how they deactivated and reactivated? Would lke to do that before trying to contact them today on Easter Sunday.

Thanks!

John

• 38. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                                                                                    the_wine_snob CommunityMVP

John,

If you have not seen this FAQ Entry, that is the place that I would start: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1050730?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

• 39. Re: No Sequence Codec problem in CS6
                                                                                      johnnyb2u Community Member

Thanks Bill! Was quite a chock to see this morning. I'm at the end of the project and this was the last thing I needed to happen!

1 2 Previous Next