11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2012 4:27 AM by JETalmage RSS

Snap object reference point to grid

Gernot Hoffmann Community Member

How can I snap the center of an arbitrary symmetrical

object to the grid?

For instance the center of a circle or rectangle.

According to this discusssion it's not possible:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3759721#3759721

How can I define a reference point in an arbitrary object

or in a group of objects and snap this to the grid?

Best regards  --Gernot Hoffmann

• 1. Re: Snap object reference point to grid
          Mike Gondek2 CommunityMVP

What is happening is that it is snapping to the grid by the edge of your object rather than center.

Draw guides, turn off snap to grid, turn on snap to pint, turn on smart guide, and the center will now snap to your guides.

Screen shot 2012-06-15 at 10.53.02 AM.png

I pathfindered 2 circles to make the single shape boobies, and they snapped.

• 2. Re: Snap object reference point to grid
            emil emil Community Member

I checked it and it seems not possible. CS5. It snaps to the grid the sides of the object's bounding box in its reset state or the bounding box of a group of objects. The center or place of the cursor is disregarded.

I also realized that Smart Guides are not working while Snap to Grid is on.

A couple of workarounds.

1. Using Snap to Grid, create  short path with two anchor points snapped to the grid. You can create just one anchor point but this will require Outline view to see it. Turn off Snap to Grid and using Smart Guides snap the center to the anchor point of the path you created.

2. Create your own grid using the Grid tool, turn it into Guides (Ctrl+ 5), and use the Smart Guides. Have in mind that guides belong to a layer, so you may create a dedicated layer on top of all layers for the grid guides and lock it to prevent the grid affected from things like Hide Others.

• 3. Re: Snap object reference point to grid

Mike and Emil,

thanks for your helpful advice. Helpful for a workaround, but talking

about 21.century software, it's a desaster.

Aha, I'm still using Illustrator CS2, and this odd issue is obviously

not resolved.

But have a look at InDesign CS2: here, Snap to Grid works either

for the bounding box of the object or for the center - whatever is

nearest.

For my simple graphical illustrations I could use InDesign, but alas,

there is no Arrowhead.

Illustrator CS2 offers Arrowheads, but -puh- adding an arrowhead to

a line places the arrow additionally to the line length, instead of

finishing the original line with an arrow.

Should we call this 21.century software?

Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann

• 4. Re: Snap object reference point to grid
                Mike Gondek2 CommunityMVP

Glad the workaround helps. In writing looks like alot of steps, but should really take lea few seconds.

Having worked on systems like Hell Chromacon, CrTronic before the desktop systems, there were lots of aggravating long processes and code to remember, so I can live with this. But I do feel your aggravation, and is especially disappointing that in recent years Adobe software has not advanced as much.  We really need innovative people with attention to detail like Kai Krause to help push the graphics industry again.

• 5. Re: Snap object reference point to grid
                  CarlosCanto CommunityMVP

starting shape, center won't snap to grid

snaptogrid1.gif

grab the center, drag/drop it to any anchor currently snapped to grid, release.

snaptogrid2.gif

now, the center will snap to the grid

snaptogrid3.gif

• 6. Re: Snap object reference point to grid

Ha! That was cool Carlos. How did you find this? Snap to point must be on though.

So, once the center point is snapped, Illustrator is smart enough to know this and is using a different snapping rule? It doesn't snap any longer using the bounding box. To get back to that rule, the snap to grid must be turned off, move object off the snapping, and turn the snap to grid again.

This makes me wonder how they haven't made so many things in Illustrator being more intelligent while in certain aspects they put the efforts of making intelligent behaviors in such obscure ways that most likely will be missed by many users.

• 7. Re: Snap object reference point to grid
                      CarlosCanto CommunityMVP

pretty cool hah, I was just playing with it, initially trying to find a key combination that magically allowed snapping the center, no luck. Then I was going to post another work around, I would hit P for pen tool and click anywhere to create an orphan point, then the center would snap to that point, side effect is, we would have to delete the point afterwards.

after I deleted the point, and moved around the shape....still snapping....mmmm, interesting. Then, load, rinse, repeat 20 different things till realized how it worked.

by the way, all this was done with Snap to Grid On, once the center snaps, there's no need to turn snapping Off and back On again, simply grab any other outer anchor, they will all snap, but the center will loose the snapping....no biggie, drop it to another already snapped anchor to get its snapping back.

....I don't think this is a feature or anything close to "intelligent design", this behavior seems merely accidental.

• 8. Re: Snap object reference point to grid

Then, may be you are the first one to find this.

I think you are right, "intelligent design" is unlikely in Illustrator lol - accidental likely. It is obvious they designed it to snap the bounding box and technically this is a bug that is useful in this case. They don't usually fix things and in rare cases like this, it is for good.

• 9. Re: Snap object reference point to grid
                          JETalmage Community Member

>For my simple graphical illustrations I could use InDesign, but alas,

there is no Arrowhead.

InDesign does provide basic arrowheads.

JET

• 10. Re: Snap object reference point to grid

Thanks for all contributions, much appreciated.

I'm apologizing for not giving points, in my opinion it's a

somewhat childish concept.

Mike #1+ #4, thanks for taking the time.

Carlos #5: this doesn't work here with Snap to Grid.

It works with Snap to Point. This is a true alternative,

probably intended by the programmers.

I'm still using CS2, there may be a difference.

JET #9: thanks for the hint. Making ten years long

arrowheads in PageMaker manually, I had missed

the possibilities in InDesign. 'Help' doesn't mention

arrows or arrowheads. It's a feature in Stroke, simply

accessible by Start and End.

The very good news is this: Adding an arrowhead to

a line doesn't make it longer!

Perhaps the Illustrator staff should consult the InDesign

experts...

Problems solved - I can use InDesign and my own Post-

Script graphis for docs like this:

http://www.fho-emden.de/~hoffmann/project18032004.pdf

Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann

• 11. Re: Snap object reference point to grid
                              JETalmage Community Member

I'm apologizing for not giving points, in my opinion it's a somewhat childish concept.

And thank you for that. I agree completely.

JET