7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2012 7:22 AM by LetraLibre RSS

    error: is an invalid name for a book file

    gwhPoster Community Member

      Hi everyone,

       

      I'm trying to export about 20 files to pdf from a books panel, but when I try this the program just hangs. When I open up the book panel I get the following error:

       

      "is an invalid name for a book file"

       

      I wondered if anyone has come across this error before or knows what it means? I tried to create a new book and reinsert the files but I'm still getting the same problem when I try to go to pdf.

       

      Really appreciate any advice.

        • 1. Re: error: is an invalid name for a book file
          Peter Spier CommunityMVP

          I have not seen this, though the bulk of my work does not need Book files. I'd start with the standard trash your prefs step: Replace Your Preferences

          • 2. Re: error: is an invalid name for a book file
            Eugene Tyson CommunityMVP

            Make a new book file and import your files to this again.

             

            Dump the old book file (well store it in safe place JIK)

            • 3. Re: error: is an invalid name for a book file
              gwhPoster Community Member

              Thanks for the suggestions - I'll give them a try

              • 4. Re: error: is an invalid name for a book file
                gwhPoster Community Member

                Sorry to come back to this - I've tried both suggestions but it hasn't fixed the problem. I've tried though to open up individual chapter files and export to pdf but the odd thing is that when I export these individual files to pdf interactive they work fine but when I export to a print pdf the program crashes. Each of the files have a heap of cross-references within them so I don't know if that's contributing to the problem, but even so when I export to print pdf, I don't check off bookmarks and hyperlinks and it still crashes. In fact I even made a copy of one of the files and deleted all the cross-references and then tried again to export to print-pdf but it still crashed.

                 

                I even exported one of the chapters to the .idml file format and then re-opened it up and saved it. I then exported to print-pdf and it crash again.

                 

                The only method that seems to work is when I don't open a file, ie. I just select it from within the books panel, I then export that single chapter to print-pdf and I make sure "bookmarks" and "hyperlinks" are uncheck. If I do it this, I can successfully export a print pdt without it crashing. The strange thing though is that if I open that chapter up and export it in the same way, then ID crashes. It doesn't make sense.

                 

                I just don't know how to troubleshoot further. Does anyone have any further tips or advice that I can try?

                 

                Appreciate any further help.

                • 5. Re: error: is an invalid name for a book file
                  gwhPoster Community Member

                  Just thought I'd come back and report the outcome in case it helps someone else. I found that the solution involved doing two things. I had to choose "update all cross-references" from the flyout menu in the books panel and the other thing was that I found the Suitcase font utility plugin was causing it to crash. So I had to disable Suitcase Fusion Core from the system preferences. After that I was able to export a print-pdf directly from the books panel.

                   

                  At least I got there in the end.

                  • 6. Re: error: is an invalid name for a book file
                    LetraLibre

                    You know, I'm getting the message every time I start up inDesign now, and the crash when I try to Preflight a book. No problems with printing to PDF, though. I don't have the Suitcase font utility. I'll update if I ever figure it out.

                    • 7. Re: error: is an invalid name for a book file
                      LetraLibre Community Member

                      Trashing the preferences files (as in the above link) did nothing to help the problem. But in the Adobe cache folder referenced in that thread I noticed a folder called "InDesign Recovery." I changed the name of that folder, forcing InDesign to create a new copy.  That took care of the problem.