4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2012 1:35 AM by Dave Merchant RSS

Extracting images from pdf

I am trying to extract images from pdfs using pdfimages, but i am unable to retrieve all the images. By opening the pdfs using Acrobat Reader 9.0, I am able to select, those images retrieved by pdfimages, using the select tool but for other figures/images we need to try other options like print screen and then cut the relevant image. I was wondering why or when does the Acrobat treats the figures/images differently.

• 1. Re: Extracting images from pdf
          Dave Merchant ACP/MVPs

We do not provide any support for non-Adobe products in these forums.

• 2. Re: Extracting images from pdf
            gksahay27 Community Member

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. My question was not regarding any non-Adobe product like pdfimages. It was in general the way Acrobat handles the images while creating pdfs.

I wanted to know why can we select some of the images from the pdf using select tool and can not select others for which we need to print screen and cut. Is there anything in the eps files of included image that causes such effect?

• 3. Re: Extracting images from pdf
              MichaelKazlow ACP/MVPs

It has to do with how the images are created. Print Screen is never the way to go in Acrobat. In Acrobat there is an edit object tool and we have the ability to crop files. Snapshot is not preferred since it compromises the resolution of the image being copied. In Reader, Adobe has provided only the snapshot tool, as it is mostly a tool for reading pdfs. People creating content are encouraged to use Acrobat Std or Pro.

• 4. Re: Extracting images from pdf
                Dave Merchant ACP/MVPs

'Images' in PDF are bitmaps, such as JPEG or TIFF files placed on a page. PDFs can also contain 'graphics' (such as EPS or AI files) which are vector shapes, and are therefore not exported with the rest of the images.