10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2012 8:48 PM by BenPadstow RSS

UIFramework.dll

BenPadstow

Customer of mine is having trouble starting Premiere Elements 10.

When he clicks the icon, nothing happens

Windows generates an event error in the Application log saying a fault is with UIFramework.dll

Support or working on it, but are being a bit useless really (there last suggestion was try removing UIFramework.dll from the PE directory!)

Anyone had any similar problems?

Cheers

Ben

http://revuguru.com

• 1. Re: UIFramework.dll
          the_wine_snob Community Member

Welcome to the forum.

I cannot recall seeing a UIFramework error, and that goes for several other Adobe programs, such as Audition, PrPro and AfterEffects.

My first thought would be some sort of corruption in the file. Unfortunately, I do not have PrE 10, to give you a size and date/time on that file.

It might come down to doing an uninstall/reinstall (hate to say that, as it's the first line of the script that T/S seems to use), but I do no believe that PrE offers a Repair Install (Adobe seems to be dropping that option, and I cannot imagine why).

Good luck, and wish I had more to offer.

Hunt

• 2. Re: UIFramework.dll
            BenPadstow Community Member

Ah - should have mentioned that software has been removed/rebooted/reinstalled at least twice. So no file corruption.

Weird - I can't find anything online about it either.

Anyway, customer has sent exact error message to Adobe to investigate, but I fear that support will mess about with support script for weeks before they actually look into it.

Thanks for trying though!

Ben

• 3. Re: UIFramework.dll

OK. You are ahead of me.

Did you gather the error data from Event Viewer, or another source?

If not from Event Viewer, I'd take a look there, in hopes that there is a link in one of the warning, or error messages, around the time of the problem. Possible that a low-level driver is getting in the way of the .dll loading, or a memory address issue, with something hooking a memory address, but reporting that it's free for PrE to use.

Also, you might want to take a look at this ARTICLE. It starts with a general checklist for getting PrE to work. The second part, tuning up the OS and computer will likely not be of any use here, but one never knows. It finishes with many links on troubleshooting.

As uncommon (considering all the Adobe programs, that use a version of that .dll) as he error is, I am thinking something specific to the client's system - but could be very wrong.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: UIFramework.dll
                John T Smith CommunityMVP

How about more information about the client's system?

-http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840

>UIFramework

Hmm... some people have had problems when the AERO interface is active... is it here?

Also, so the helpers here don't have to funnel questions through you... you might suggest your client join the forum and add his information to this thread

• 5. Re: UIFramework.dll

The full error from Event Viewer is:

Faulting application name: Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, version: 10.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4e791009

Faulting module name: UIFramework.dll, version: 10.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4e78f6a6

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000007ef3f

Faulting process id: 0x144c

Faulting application start time: 0x01cd4c285692050b

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 10\Adobe Premiere Elements.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 10\UIFramework.dll

Report Id: 9789370c-b81b-11e1-a380-c0cb38f578e9

I should point out, though that this event does not trigger when one clicks on the Adobe Premiere icon - which launches Adobe Premiere Elements 10.exe. Click that, and nothing at all happens. No log, no nothing.

The above log is happening when one goes into the Premiere Elements folder and clicks Adobe Premiere Elements.exe

He is running Windows 7 Ultimate with i7 1.7GHZ and 4gb of Ram.

I have tried the trouble shooting guides that Bill kindly linked to, but we're in a situation here where nothing happens when the icon (or its corresponding .exe in the program folder) is clicked.

• 6. Re: UIFramework.dll

I am sure Adobe must be able to use the information in the Event log to trace where and why the error is occuring?

• 7. Re: UIFramework.dll

PS: I tried disabling Aero, but to no avail.

I also tried deleting his video driver, and using the standard Microsoft one. It also made no difference.

• 8. Re: UIFramework.dll

One thought - what happens if you/the client Rt-clicks on the icon, and chooses to Run As Adminisrator?

Second thought - is there any disc in any of the multi-drives? They should be totally empty.

Good luck, and this IS an odd one.

Hunt

• 9. Re: UIFramework.dll

One last thought. Does the client have any VST's for audio-editing programs installed? If so, see this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: UIFramework.dll

Well, here's the answer - for posterity.

He had recently changed the location of his My Documents folder from one drive to another.

This had affected no programs, and everything was working properly.

Premiere, it seems, was the only one to complain. There was something in the registry that it was looking at, which was referencing the OLD My Documents location rather than the new.

Running this fix from Microsoft cured everything:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549

So, if in future some has trouble with Premiere not launching, then http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549 is the place to find the fix.

Thanks for all the other suggestions - what a tirelessly helpful community this is!