Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do i make a justifiable text box in Photoshop CS5

Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2010 Nov 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I tried to justify text but find it hard, any quick and simple ways to do it?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 15, 2011 Dec 15, 2011

Just to clarify for everyone else reading this - you unfortunately can't make text justified in Photoshop CS5 unless you first create a text box.  So this means you can't just click-and-type and have Photoshop know what bounds to justify it to, it needs the text box to give it a virtual border.  To create a text box, click the Type Tool in your toolbar, and the click and drag to select the space you want to use for your text box.  Once you release, a text box is created in which you can type in,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a text box (click and drag), add text, set the paragraph style to fully justified.

I'm not sure why you're finding it difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your time. I am afraid I don't see it. Please can you explain step by step where i click?

Thanks

karl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is totally frustrating!!! I click the type tool. I type, I highlight the text but I can't justify it!

I searched everywhere for a simple solution for justifying  text, There is no answer anywhere! If CS5 is so brilliant and user friendly why is it so difficult to do a simple text box justified like Word does?

Anybody help please.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the text tool, click and drag on the document to create the text box.

Go to the paragraph palette, look at the icons on the top that show the justification options, and click on the justification option that you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but the justify all is faded and not an option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i eventually found it myself from google. thank you ADOBE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should post the instructions you got from Google.  It would be interesting to know how they differ from the instructions Chris gave in the 1st reply to your original post (instructions which seem to work perfectly).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2011 Dec 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify for everyone else reading this - you unfortunately can't make text justified in Photoshop CS5 unless you first create a text box.  So this means you can't just click-and-type and have Photoshop know what bounds to justify it to, it needs the text box to give it a virtual border.  To create a text box, click the Type Tool in your toolbar, and the click and drag to select the space you want to use for your text box.  Once you release, a text box is created in which you can type in, and the box itself is easily resizable afterwards.

Granted, Chris, you are definitely right, but this wasn't thoroughly enough explained for those that don't know even what a "text box" necessarily is or how to create one, so I wanted to expand on your answer to help everyone who hoped for a detailed answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, great!  Not only are you taking to task a top Adobe engineer who has been writing Photoshop code for some sixteen years and is the most helpful Adobe staff member to contribute here as a volunteer on his own time and dime, but you happen to be replying to a post that is over a year old.  

Not a very auspicious first post, "24/7". 

Oy!

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了           No connection to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, Tai, if Chris really takes offense to anything in my previous post, I'm sure he is more than capable to address me himself, and does not need you taking it upon yourself to reprimand me.

Second, regardless of how old this post is, people are still using the Text Tool in Photoshop CS5 as we speak, and I guarantee most would like to find a detailed answer to their question somewhere in this thread.

Third, you could have attempted to answer this post instead of only jumping on my intent to help people; contribute, don't troll.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No offense taken. I don't always have time to write out long form responses (since I'm frequently answering questions while waiting for compiles to finish), even though I try to include the information they need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post #1 by Chris Cox is amply clear, thorough and detailed for anyone with an IQ above room-temperature range in degrees Celsius or with access to the Help files in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incidentally, I have indeed answered this same question myself more than once over the last nine years in this forum, where I've accumulated some 30,000 posts under two successive forum identities.

I was not "jumping" on your "attempt to help", but I was reacting to your petty, unwarranted, self-serving criticism of a perfectly correct and thorough reply by guru Cox.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了         No connection to Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify further, you can make text full justfied without the need to create text box first.

1. Select the layer containing the text you want to be full justified.

2. Go to: Layer > Type > Convert to Pargraph Text

3. Now, the paragraph pallete will allow you to select full justified paragraphs.

As a bonus, you can also go back to Point Text by going through the same menu selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 16, 2012 Jun 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need less people like Tai Lao on these forums and more thoughtful, well thought out and thorough answers like the one 24/7 Tech Support gave.

I fail to understand what you're motivation and goal is Tai Lao?

This is precisely a board for people that are trying to learn whether they're beginners or not, or have high IQs or low IQs?

I've been using Photoshop since 1996 and I recently got CS5 and I was searching for this exact topic, because I just wanted something comprehensive on the subject, so I don't understand why you or anyone else feels the need to get in the way of that?

I mean, seriously, is this all for your ego? You like feeling superior to people, people you don't even know for that matter? Take your issues somewhere else. The immaturity is so obnoxious, especially when people that use these boards have work to do.

We out here have work to do, and we need thorough answers. Sometimes, some of us, while we're in the middle or towards the end of the work day aren't even at our best or freshest and we need clear and comprehensive answers during those moments when we're not necessarily operating at our best.

Whatever the case is, the truth is when you post answers, you should assume that the people are beginners or have "low IQs" or whatever garbage Tai Lao wrote.

24/7 Tech Support, I hope you continue to go about with your method of presenting detailed thorough answers to the people's queries here on the Adobe boards, I'm sure I'll come across one of your USEFUL posts sometime soon in the near future, and hopefully less across the USELESS posts of those like Tai Lao.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2012 Jun 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

24/7 Tech Support wrote:

Just to clarify for everyone else reading this - you unfortunately can't make text justified in Photoshop CS5 unless you first create a text box.

adobe1kenobe066 wrote:

We need less people like Tai Lao on these forums and more thoughtful, well thought out and thorough answers like the one 24/7 Tech Support gave.

But unfortunately, even his answer was incomplete, as he apparently didn't know about the Convert to Paragraph Text function.  Personally I'd give EricReagan the kudos here for posting the answer joketoon really needed years ago (and for teaching me about a function I didn't know existed either).

Regarding your comment about what "we need":  It's generally considered inappropriate to talk about what other people said, no matter whether you agreed with it or found it abrasive.  Such conversation most often just leads to ill feelings and escalations.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2012 Sep 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do admit I didn't know about the Convert to Paragraph Text tool when I wrote my answer, so EricReagan, you have my kudos as well.

And Chris Cox, I apologize if my inital post came across as arrogant or presumptuous in any way;  what I really meant to do was explain why I was giving another answer, and that I didn't disagree with the heplful answers you had already given joketoon.

And Noel Carboni...

Noel Carboni wrote:

Regarding your comment about what "we need":  It's generally considered inappropriate to talk about what other people said, no matter whether you agreed with it or found it abrasive.  Such conversation most often just leads to ill feelings and escalations.

Isn't that exactly what you were doing by posting this?  I find it interesting that you would write this when your post didn't even actually help anyone with the OP's question.  In essence you were really just taking part in something you said was "generally considered inappropriate".

May it be known to all reading this thread that my intent in answering joketoon was not to start a flame war, but in actuality just to give him an answer that I, ironically, had been looking for myself not long before.  And yes, I'm human, so my answers may not be completely comprehensive or even 100% accurate all the time, but at the end of the day I was just trying to help someone understand a Photoshop feature a little better than they did before coming to this forum.  If this is the goal of everyone who posts in these forums, debates like these will never need to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2012 Sep 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, on reading that I am as guilty as anyone.

We're all just trying to help, and maybe learn a bit in the process. 

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2013 Jan 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, who knows if anyone is reading this anymore... but you never know. I have done everything suggested in this thread, including creating text in a text box, using the justify options, trying every option I can find or think of, etc. The text just will not justify correctly. It   just     keeps      looking       exactly         like              this. Alternately, itwillalsoenduplookingexactlylikethis. I've tried every combination of settings and options, and nothing seems to work. This means that justifying the text ends up looking a lot worse than just leaving it alone with a ragged right edge.  I've also tried both cutting and pasting and typing out new text. There MUST be something very simple going on here, but I've tried everything and spent hours, and I can't find what it is. Does anyone know?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 05, 2013 Jan 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working with proper multi-line paragraphs? 

Or are you perhaps inserting a line return at the end of each line?  Are you typing more than one space to separate words and/or sentences?  Both of these are huge no-nos.

The example you give is what I would expect if you have one of those errors, or both.

Another possibility is that your text tool is corrupted.  Select "Reset Tool" from the flyout menu that appears when you click and hold the ridiculously tiny arrow next to the tool icon in the options bar.

Alternatively, trash your Photoshop preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2014 Jul 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry this post is so old, but I've done everything suggested and I still don't understand.

Mostly because the justify option isn't greyed out on my screen, it literally is not there.

justify.dib

I have been typing into a text box, so it is a paragraph, not "point" style. I've just been typing, not adding my own line breaks.

What do I need to do??

EDIT: open word, write stuff, justify it, copy and paste as image. k thnx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2015 Nov 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is unbeliveable how nobody at Adobe is willing to spend a minute of their time trying to understand their customers.

The problem here is that when you create a textbox BY CLICKING AND DRAGGING, JustifyAll becomes available. However, if you created your text box by simply clicking once, WITHOUT DRAGGING, JustifyAll is not avaiable.

Chris Cox's reply from Nov. 26, 2010 is quite condescending and makes absolutely no effort to help. It is unfortunate that Adobe doesn't have better standards of customer support, but not surprising: Adobe made its fame with some great products, but the user experience of using its websites, including account management, support and what-not, is terrible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines