Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"application in use" problem Flash 11 installation

Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2012 Feb 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe employees or dedicated forum members

I've been struggling with the installation of Flash 11 for over 2 hours by now. I'm trying to install Flash 11 on my Windows 7 x64 system.

At 50% of the installation progress i get the following message: "application already in use".

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5267/flash11error2.jpg

With this I've tried almost every possible solution found on this forum and other forums to try and solve this widouth luck.

I have tried the following solutions:

- uninstalling of Flash 10 (what I can't install anymore too by the way) with the Adobe uninstall tool.

- Deleting Flash folders.

- Rebooting the computer.

- Closing all the programs that are running in the background (even Windows Explorer).

- Direct download Flash 11 64 bit installer. (Activating the direct install application i get the following plain error message pop-up)

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7391/flash11error.jpg

- Tried installing with my main browser (Firefox) and Windows Explorer 9.

- All the settings of both browsers are set to allow ActiveX and Java-script.

- Tried all the install applications found on this forum x64 and x32.

Here are 2 pictures showing the procceses of my computer at start up. I have closed the nonessential ones at setup like firefox.exe and stuff.

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/447/flash11error3.jpg

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/9194/flash11error4.jpg

Can anyone help solve this problem? It kinda sucks to lack the ability of watching 90% of the videoclips on the internet and alot of sites.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 29, 2012 Feb 29, 2012

I've found what is interfering with the Flash installation. There must been files in my temporary folder that prevents Flash from installing. After clearing my local temporary file, I was able to install Flash. So for the people that have the same problem and can't solve it by doing an direct/offline clean install, try emptying your local temporary folder first!

==

To locate the tmp folder:

Click Start > Run.

Type %tmp% and press Enter.

==

Thanks for all the replies by the way!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same problem, same specs as Chevron.  the only added detail is that Flash stopped working 'on it's own'; I did not try to install a newer verson but went to a site with a Flash video and learned that I 'needed' Flash installed.

HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.PNG

If this picture of your processes before attempting to install flash then the online installer is attempting to install flash upon startup.  I suggest that you find and delete all files that start with install_flash_player and then do a clean install: How do I do a clean install of Flash Player?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats a good one, I'll try that tommorow, It's late over here and I'm giving up for today. But don't hasitate if someone has extra input.

By the way, I can install/update Adobe shockwave/reader and Air without any problems. These programs all use the same install application right? So it must be a internal problem with Flash. I've had this problem before I think when I was installing Flash 10. I solved that problem by downloading an aftermarket installer that forces Flash to install no matter what.

But thanks Carl E. Myers Jr. For your input!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chevrondanbira wrote:

These programs all use the same install application right?

No, they don't.  If you encounter any problems during the installation of Flash Player or Adobe Reader, try using the standalone/offline installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 29, 2012 Feb 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried that like I wrote at the start of my post, I've tried every standalone/offline installer that can be found on this site and other sites. They will just give me the blank error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also tried to find any files with the name install_flash_player. But I can't find any on my system so that can't be the problem either. I always did a clean install too, it didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found what is interfering with the Flash installation. There must been files in my temporary folder that prevents Flash from installing. After clearing my local temporary file, I was able to install Flash. So for the people that have the same problem and can't solve it by doing an direct/offline clean install, try emptying your local temporary folder first!

==

To locate the tmp folder:

Click Start > Run.

Type %tmp% and press Enter.

==

Thanks for all the replies by the way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chevron, that worked for me as well!  Thanks for posting.  Just in case anyone else is unclear the temp folder to empty is 'C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Temp'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2012 Jun 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU!  Was having the identical issue.  Found that even using disc cleanup did NOT eliminate all those temp files (go figure), but manually removed them, and all working now.  I did also, before doing that, go through the registry and remove all of the old flash player entries, but don't recommend that unless you know what you are doing.  In any case, it's installed (for the moment!).  Here's to hoping it doesn't uninstall itself again.  Again, many thanks, Chev!  Was ready to pull out hair.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines