14 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2012 1:47 PM by frogmike RSS

Audio not playing

frogmike Community Member

I'm using PP CS6, and I've been having this problem recently where I travel along my timeline or scrub through and some of my audio will play, but then the next clip won't... video works fine, and the A&V for the clips after that works fine. But saving, scrubbing through or whatever doesn't seem to fix it. I have to close and reopen the project/program in order to be able to hear the audio of the clip again. Anyone else have this, a bug?

• 1. Re: Audio not playing
          the_wine_snob Community Member

A couple of questions:

When you encounter a Clip, where the Audio has "gone missing," do you still see a Waveform in the Audio portion of that Clip, or is that empty too?

Where are your Scratch Disks located, Same as Project? Audio is played, in the Program Monitor, from the Conformed Audio file (CFA), and not from the Source Footage. If your computer is having trouble accessing the CFA's, then Audio playback can be lost.

Good luck, and let us know a bit more, please,

• 2. Re: Audio not playing

Thanks Bill, nothing says its missing, I do still see the waveform.

Scratch disks same as project, VU meter still functions on the clip.

I have music files and they tend to work, it appears to be just the audio associated with video files that are randomly affected.

Hope that clears it up a bit... not sure what the CFA if I didn't touch on it...

• 3. Re: Audio not playing
              the_wine_snob Community Member

The CFA file is created by PrPro, along with the PEK (Waveform Display) file, upon Import. See this ARTICLE for more background.

PrPro looks to the CFA file to playback in the Program Monitor, and to the matching PEK file, for Waveform Display. Since you see the Waveform, the PEK is being matched up, but something is amiss with PrPro using the CFA all of the time.

• 4. Re: Audio not playing

Well I managed to get through, and I'm pretty sure it not going to affect the end export (I hope), but its rather annoying and hopefully Adobe patches it up or something :/

• 5. Re: Audio not playing
                  John T Smith MVP

>hopefully Adobe patches

While there are some Adobe employees who read/comment here, the only sure way for Adobe to know is a bug report

• 6. Re: Audio not playing

Thanks, I sent it in.

I also finished my exporting (and burning to DVD), and the audio is missing!!!

So its not just tied to not hearing on the timeline, it doesn't connect with when exporting. This is rather alarming as I'm supposed to have the half hour video ready on DVD ready soon.

• 7. Re: Audio not playing
                      Harm Millaard Community Member

Care to elaborate your workflow. It appears to me as a simple error, but guessing where you went wrong is going to be time consuming. Better tell us in detail what steps you took.

• 8. Re: Audio not playing

I gave myself a little work-around the issue. I'm exporting individual portions, 4 in total, after quickly checking to make sure all the audio works in each clip. I'll then take those and throw them into Encore for DVDing.

I'm not sure how much more I can expand on my workflow, but here it goes.

I imported XD footage (150 clips, stereo) and threw those onto the timeline, chopped them up, color-labeled them, re-arranged them into the order I need (editing), threw in some music, and while working I notice that some audio clips I cannot hear, and that goes the same when I export them while they have the issue. It seems to be random as to which clip(s) is/are affected at different times. I am forced to exit and reopen the project.

I just noticed this now, but it wouldn't have anything to do with having to render the video would it? I'm running a fairly decent machine here and it works fine, no lagging of video anywhere to mention. Too late now, but I can try it later and see if perhaps that's the issue; though only some of my clips need rendering and not all.

• 9. Re: Audio not playing

Well, I would be more interested in the EXACT export settings and the way you imported that into EN. More specifically about your multiplexing settings and EN workflow.

• 10. Re: Audio not playing

Not entirely sure on how to give that, but I do know that the problem starts with PP and continues to EN. The XD files I brought in are raw video footage.

• 11. Re: Audio not playing

Let's start at the beginning:

• What is the codec used in your source material? XDCAM-HD, XDCAM-EX, at what rate (25-35-50) in what color space (420 or 422)?
                              • What are your sequence settings?
                              • What are your export settings?
                              • What do you do to get the results into EN?

Screenshots would be helpful to show your steps.

• 13. Re: Audio not playing
                                DaveTrayers Community Member

Yup.  I get it.  And others too:

• 14. Re: Audio not playing

Thank you Dave. That's pretty much the same situation I'm in as described by the OP in the link. Glad its not just me with this problem so its better understood and Adobe is perhaps working on a fix by now.

Its a rather large bug to people who work with XD cam files, I could understand if it happened JUST in the timeline and was fine if you exported, but no the latter as well.