• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New-user resources for authoring DITA with FrameMaker 10?

Contributor ,
Dec 19, 2011 Dec 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might as well ask the same question about DITA. I'm gearing up to write a bunch of new docs and am considering switching to XML. Since we already own FrameMaker, I'll use that if there's no good reason to switch.

Can anyone point me to some introductory material on creating a DITA project in FrameMaker and maybe some better sample projects than come with the product?

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 20, 2011 Dec 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, 33 views and no replies. I guess that tells me something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2012 Jan 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rlauriston,

Please use the following page for getting started on DITA with FrameMaker

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/using/WSd817046a44e105e21e63e3d11ab7f7802f-7fee.html

Regards,

Saurabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the Web version of the online help, which was the first place I looked. It does not tell a new user how to create and edit a DITA-based project in FrameMaker, or how to use the templates / samples included with FrameMaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might not be what you're looking for, but there are some short videos available through Adobe TV. They're more about specific features, not a walk-through.

http://tv.adobe.com/show/dita-12/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2012 May 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI -- there is an excellent free on-demand e-Seminar series on how to convert unstructured doc to XML in FrameMaker 10 created by Tom Aldous in 2011. Note: you will need a free Adobe account for "Adobe credentials" to log in and view. So when you click on one of the links, it will look like a generic log-in page with no title indicating the webinar.

This series covers practically every step involved, and includes samples files that you can download too. Several of my customers (while I was in the translation industry last year) found this series very helpful.

http://bit.ly/Jf0eHi

Maxwell Hoffmann, Product Evangelist, Tech Comm Suite

ADOBE SYSTEMS

mhoffman@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2012 Jun 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So, the answer is basically no.There is no introductory material that takes a new user from square one to finish on how to do a DITA project.

No one at Adobe seems to get the fact that there are lots of customers who need this sort of basic information. Instead we get blank stares and high level progremmer junk shoved at us. To complicate the situation the DITA 1.2 EDDs that Adobe provided are nice, but totally useless because of the manner that they are constructed using variables.

Great, variables don't tell a beginner where the information is coming from. Adobe has become the new Microsoft, Technically accurate, but toatally useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines