Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open project after reinstalling RoboHelp 8

Jun 19, 2012 Jun 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer crashed and I had to reinstall RoboHelp 8.  When I tried to open my project I got a message saying the project is from a newer version of the program.  This project is no longer compatible with this version.  I then did the 8.x updates and got the same results. 

What do you think the problem is here?  My RoboHelp is an upgrade version and I don't know what version it  was originally upgraded from.  Everything worked perfectly before this.

Also, my IT guy installed Windows 7 on my computer and I previously had Vista - could that be part of the problem?

I need to get this project open and running asap.

Thanks for any assistance anyone might be able to offer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 19, 2012 Jun 19, 2012

What you should not have done was open a project before applying the updates. See Opening Projects on my site.

It's very late here now. Post your progress and I will look in the morning.

Maybe deleting the CPD will fix. Backup first.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you should not have done was open a project before applying the updates. See Opening Projects on my site.

It's very late here now. Post your progress and I will look in the morning.

Maybe deleting the CPD will fix. Backup first.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are wonderful!   Deleting the CPD fixed the problem and everything is looking good.  I will heed your advice on backups as well. 

I don't understand CPD files - there is no reference to that file type in the 8 Help doc but I'll do a little more searching.  Fortunately I did have the .xpj file and all of my links are still intact.  And we backed up my hard drive before reinstalling the op system so I was lucky this time.  Thank you for your assistance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Look again. The CPD is explained. It is a cache that RoboHelp uses when you are working. It can be deleted and sometimes needs to be when it gets screwed up. It is rebuilt from other files in the project.

In Tools > Options you can choose to have RoboHelp always delete it before opening a project.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp