4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2012 6:50 PM by John Danek RSS

Printing in 2-color + upgrade problems

GregoryP123 Community Member

My company just recently upgraded systems, going from CS to CS 6, and a 10 year old mac to a new PC. Quite a leep.

The prolem is, there was a program called Creo's "PowerTone" and it was a plugin for Photoshop which took full color images and made a blended image using only 2 colors. So where the original image had dark black, the end result would be the dark red and blue on top of eachother, giving a maroon color. It would automate this process, making 3 files, which would then be used in InDesign, to print 2 plates for our press.

It appears this plugin isn't compatible with the new CS versions. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where my company should go from here? Doing each image by hand would be way too time consuming.

We could also buy a version of CS which powertone supports (I think they went to cs2) and then I could print files from CS2 but still design in CS6?

• 1. Re: Printing in 2-color + upgrade problems
          Jacob Bugge MVP

The difficult part may be to get a CS/CS2. It can only be bought legally if it has not been used as the basis for an upgrade (to whichever version).

• 2. Re: Printing in 2-color + upgrade problems
            John Danek Community Member

Have you tried getting ahold of Creo and asking them if there is an updated version of the plugin for PC?  Then, it would just be a matter of an upgrade fee.  If they do not have it, they may have an alternate vendor you could go to.  That's where I would start...Creo.  You might try Photoshop's Duotone capabilities where you can save Duotone sets and re-use them whenever.  You could also create a script in PS to help with the automation.

• 3. Re: Printing in 2-color + upgrade problems
              GregoryP123 Community Member

@ john : I could try but apparently the company got bought out by Kodak and they no longer support it and haven't since CS2. And the problem with photoshop's duotone capabilities is that you have to first grayscale the image, thus losing all color data. So there is no way, for example if I am colorizing a purple car, to automate that, so I would have to go in and adjuts the settings until the red and blue ink are heavy on top of the car, which would result in a purple car when printed. For the amount of ads we do, this wouldn't really be feasible.

@ jacob : Good point.

• 4. Re: Printing in 2-color + upgrade problems
                John Danek Community Member

Take a look at...

There are some PS Plug-Ins that may help you.  Good luck.