Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printed Documentation loses page breaks

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2012 Jun 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but on all the linked word docs in my project RH is taking out the "page break before" code in the html.

Is there a setting or a way to have RH retain page breaks from imported Word docs?

Thanks!

Jerry

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2012 Jun 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your heading is Printed Documentation but your question seems to be about linking to Word documents as a source of content.

Also please always start threads with the version of RoboHelp you are using.

Why would you want page breaks in the help? A topic is one page on a screen.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2012 Jun 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies for not having a more detailed description.

When the html generated by Word 2010 is imported to RH9 while linking Word documents into RH9 the html for page breaks is changed to remove the page break. I can edit the code in the topic generated by the linked Word document to replace the page break. (not something I want to do in every topic generated by a linked Word document).

The page break is needed so I can use the linked Word documents for the Online help, and printed documentation outputs in RH9. The online help looks fine, but the printed documentation throws off how the pages break leaving the printed documentation flawed. When I add the page break back in the html manually the online help still looks great, and the printed documentation breaks across pages the way it should.

So my question is... How do I get RH9 to leave the code for the page breaks verbatim from the linked Word doc.

I know RH9 is changing the code, because I can save the Word Doc as a Web Page, Filtered, and the code Word generates retains the page break code in html. Thus, RH9 is changing this code when linking the document.

I hope this explains this a little better. I was short on time when I wrote the post.

Thanks!

Jerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2012 Jul 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for having dropped the ball on this one. My first thought was why you would want printed documentation when you have a Word document that does what you want. On giving it some more thought I guess it is so that you can get the same appearance as the other help and get the content as part of the whole help.

I will run a little test later but I very much doubt there is an answer to this other than submitting a feature request. Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

Whilst I see your need, this is not something I have seen anyone else request. One thought is could you put a unique string in the Word document that would not appear elsewhere. After updating before generating, you then search and replace that word with the code for RoboHelp's hard page break and do not update again when generating. A bit clumsy but the only thing I can think of right now.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that idea would work.

Link the document and update.

Then search for your unique string and replace with the code below.

<br style="page-break-before: always;" />

Then look for the document in Project Manager and select Properties when you right click.

Select that document under File Update Settings.

When you generate the topics will not be updated. When that document needs updating, reverse the setting, update and repeat the steps.

Not ideal but not onerous.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try it on a copy of your project first!

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp