19 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2012 2:27 PM by haroldbareng RSS

ID CS 4 exporting PDF books with low-res graphics

Owen Linzmayer

I've been exporting ID CS 4 documents to PDF with absolutely no problems, but today I created a book containing multiple documents, and I'm running into a snag when exporting.

If I open a single document and export as PDF, everything is fine. All the images in the document are rendered in high resolution.

If I open a book containing that very same document as well as another document, then I export the book as PDF, many, but not all, of the graphics in the original document are rendered in very low resolution. See image below.

Why? I didn't change a single thing in the dialog box for exporting to PDF.

I did several tests and it appears that if I open all the documents which comprise the book, all the images in the exported PDF are high resolution as desired. However, ultimately I want to create a book with 120+ documents, and there's no way I can keep them all open in memory without ID crashing. Yes, I suppose I can open a subset of the documents, export them, then combine the PDFs in Acrobat, but that's a cludge workaround.

Surely ID CS4 should be able to properly export as PDF a book containing a lot of documents with images, but damned if I can figure out what's causing these low-res images to appear.

If anyone has a solution, I would be very grateful if you'd share it with me.