7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2012 3:24 AM by Beachhonk RSS

my goal: "convert into pdf" --> the file is instantly saved with the same name as pdf. feasible?

Beachhonk

Good evening dear experts,

i use Adobe Acrobat 9 pro extend to convert word, ppt, jepgs etc. into pdfs.

No if i

1) convert a ppt into a pdf: it asks --> "save as" --> converts --> opens the file

2) convert a jpeg into a pdf: it instantly --> opens the file as pdf --> i need to save it manual under "save as"

In both cases i want to

my goal: "convert into pdf" --> the file is instantly saved with the same name as pdf

WITHOUT asking me "save as" + "opening of the file".

Is the possible, and if yes, HOW ?

A fast answer is very very much appreciated, for i have to convert hundreds of files tonight in order to get it into 1 pdf

Thx and greetings from Germany,

Julia

• 1. Re: my goal: "convert into pdf" --> the file is instantly saved with the same name as pdf. feasible?
          Bill@VT CommunityMVP

The options are generally set in the printer preferences shown below:

Clipboard03.jpg

You would typically adjust the output folder setting.

• 2. Re: my goal: "convert into pdf" --> the file is instantly saved with the same name as pdf. feasible?
            Beachhonk Community Member

Hi Bill,

super, very nice, that setting i just didn't find.

But now i face 2 problems:

1) Where do i need to change these settings generally? I know how to get to this window via the "normal" print option once i open a file of any format and choose "print --> adobe pdf --> settings", but if i use this one and change them,

2) the settings are not saved once i uncheck "view adope pdf results" ;( [although i click on "okay" and print the stuff as pdf]

I always use the method

rightclick on file --> "convert to pdf" (i do not want to open the file each time)

so my question is now:

A) Where do i change this in general? (to adjust these settings generally to apply them to all kind of files (doc, ppt etc), once i click on "convert to pdf" in the rightclick-menue?)

B) How can i save the settings once and for all?

Thx a lot already for your effort and kind help Bill,

converting greetings, Julia

PS: sorry, the text sounds a bit confused, i hope you understand what i mean.

• 3. Re: my goal: "convert into pdf" --> the file is instantly saved with the same name as pdf. feasible?
              Bill@VT CommunityMVP

To change it as the default go to the Start>Printers and Devices and right click on the Adobe PDF printer, Then select printing preferences and go to the 3rd tab. If you happen to go into preferences instead, check the properties button on the general tab to get to the preferences. When you select a printer or open an application, it goes and gets this information as the default. PDF Maker is a bit default and it seems that what you set in the application stays the default for current versions of PDF Maker. However, for the printer, follow the steps I listed.

• 4. Re: my goal: "convert into pdf" --> the file is instantly saved with the same name as pdf. feasible?
                Sandeep V. Employee Hosts

I hope I am not that late to give provide you this option :

You can use Batch Processing in Acrobat 9 (Action Wizard in Acrobat X) to convert all documents stored in one/many folders to .pdf and save them automatically in other folder with same/modified name. It's faster and automated.

Rick Borstein has wondefully explained it on his blog (Although its for OCR but you just have to select the option Print or Convert to PDF):

https://blogs.adobe.com/acrolaw/2005/10/batch_ocr_using_1/

You can also watch tihs video: http://tv.adobe.com/watch/acrobat-tips-and-tricks/automating-tasks-in-acrobat/

If I am not late.

• 5. Re: my goal: "convert into pdf" --> the file is instantly saved with the same name as pdf. feasible?

We are nearly there!

A] - righclick "convert-to-method": @Bill: thx again, your approach worked for ppt, doc-files etc.

2 problems:

1) exception: for jpegs/bmps it doesn't work (the file is still opened after conversion, strange).

2) the output-folder. it only accepts the standard "output-folder documents/*.pdf" (which is a step further but not my end-goal). If i choose another output-folder via "browse", this setting is NOT SAVED (even after clicking on "accept" + "ok").

my goal: the the file should be automatically saved in THE SAME folder the original file is in (seems that can't be achieved and the standard folder is the only thing where to convert in?).

Personal background for understanding: i have many folders with several ppts in it. Once i send it out to a customer, i always have to convert it into a pdf. thats why i want to save time (i know that i can convert it directly + send per mail, but i want an up-to-date copy of the pdf in the folder as well).

B] - "the automated solution"- @Sandeep:

i just watched your link http://tv.adobe.com/watch/acrobat-tips-and-tricks/automating-tasks-in-acrobat/

about batch processing and i think its really helpful if i want to convert ALL of the files in one folder.

1 question regarding this: are the subfolders also affected?

As i understood from the video, i choose 1 "watched folder" and a "destination folder" (can be the same). E.g i have 1 big folder "designs" with many subfolders. I create a batch converting ppts to pdf to "the same folder" Once i run my batch, it converts ppts in the chosen folder "designs" + all subfolders into the same folder, right?

If this is the case, i get too many pdfs, for i only need the latest ppt-version to be converted (copies of old ppts are also in the files) ;(.

Do you have an idea how can i solve this?

-----

Now we are very near to the end-solution of my goal:

i need this option "to the same folder" in my general settings when i convert a file via right-click. ATM it only works with the standard-folder documents/*.pdf

In A], my files are now instantly saved with the same name in 1 specific folder. I would be completely happy, if this folder would be alwys the same as the one with the original file (and not 1 specific folder)

2nd problem with a]: it does not apply to picture files (bmp, jpegs..)

So if we could solve this, i would be a completely happy girl

Guys, you are great, thx again for the whole struggle with my concerns!!

• 6. Re: my goal: "convert into pdf" --> the file is instantly saved with the same name as pdf. feasible?
                    Sandeep V. Employee Hosts

Hi Julia,

To test this, I created a test1 folder inside a test folder and put one image in each of them. I then executed the action and it converted both the JPEGs into PDFs and placed them in the respective folder. You can run the action whenever you want.

If you want to convert only the latest files, simple- arrange the files in the folders by dates. Select the files together. move them to a new folder and after that whenever you will put a new file in there it will get converted to the PDF. That's the purpose of Watched Folder - 'it's being watched'.

• 7. Re: my goal: "convert into pdf" --> the file is instantly saved with the same name as pdf. feasible?

Hi Sand,

ahh, great, thought i had to start the batch process all the time from Adobe, this is so much better.

I will test this this weekend and provide happy feedback on monday.

Now i only wonder why using the "right click- "convert to pdf"-method doesn't work with a jpeg (without being opened after conversion) + why i cant chose a varying folder other than documents/*.pdf in the general settings

Thanks a lot, you made my day!