• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publishing Problems

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2006 Nov 06, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what we are doing wrong. I am trying to publish to our external webserver.

I have had IS give me the proper access rights to the server.
I moved all the files to the servers C drive
I installed Robohelp on the Server so I can publish from there to avoid security issues
We installed RoboEngine on our root folder (www)

What are we doing wrong. We have looked at all the settings and "think" we have them right in Robohelp and Roboengine. Any advice?

The error I get is: Warning: Failed to publish to "External". reason: Failed to connect to server.

So are the security settings wrong preventing access to the server or are the settings wrong in Robohelp/RoboEngine?

Any help would be appreciated....we are out of ideas.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jo. I get this same exact error every time I publish. But, for whatever reason, everything publishes successfully. All changes are in place, new topics are available, etc. Have you assessed whether the publish actually happens? I gave up worrying about it long ago - maybe you can too!

- Laurin (who is moving on from chocolate to coffee. It's a LONG Monday...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for responding so quickly. Now that you mention it I did see files in there and thought it was odd. I thought maybe our network administrator put them in there (I had asked her to move the files to the C drive on that server).

Maybe my url is wrong...where would I find the proper url for the project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't hurt her, Rick...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

LOL, I believe Leon was ribbing me a little over the fact that I tend to strongly admonish users that manage to routinely shoot themselves in the foot with project location and whatnot.

From what I'm seeing here, quite a comedy of errors has occurred. Because of the approach Mokey_Jo has taken, the files to be "published" are on the same server. So we have a server involved. Files are probably locally on the server. But my guess is that RoboHelp is being used off a desktop connected to that server and not actually on the server itself. Since the project is stored on the server, RoboHelp is sensing that it's not able to publish "externally" as it totally expects to.

Bottom line is that RoboHelp should be installed on the local PC.
The RoboHelp project files should also be on the local PC.
RoboEngine goes on the server.
RoboHelp author edits files on the local PC and when ready, generates output. This output is still on the local PC.
Output files are then published to the server.

Any other combination will likely result in many errors, issues, hair tearing, gnashing of teeth, being slowly eaten alive by a grue. Hopefully you get the idea now.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, that's a curious request - hurt who? Jo for her follow-up question (which I don't quite understand to be able to answer) or me for my previous response?

- Laurin (looking for some protective padding)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick,

Obviously I am new to Robohelp and I will keep my comments to myself about the program but you said it nicely ("many errors, issues, hair tearing, gnashing of teeth, being slowly eaten alive by a grue. "). I appreciate the forum being here for us knuckleheads. LOL

Okay, We originally had the project set up the way you descibe (except that the project files were located on a network drive).

While we were troubleshooting the issue I noticed that in roboengine properties on the virtual directory tab is says "when connecting to this resource the content should come from.... then it lists the options. Since our files were on the network drive that is were we were pointing it. Since our firewall won't allow us to access the K drive we put everything (including robohelp) on the server.

So I am to understand now that the mistake I made before was to put the project files on the network drive? It would have worked had it been on my local C drive?

I will move these and try again. If I can ever get ahold of my network administrator. Thanks so much for your help.....I will let you know the outcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mokey_Jo

I do try and be a nice and polite guy most of the time.

Yes, RoboHelp can often frustrate us. However, once we learn how to understand and treat it, things do go smoother.

Keep in mind that I'm at a woeful disadvantage when it comes to how RoboHelp interacts with RoboEngine. I only work from theory and not experience. There are others here that are probably better equipped to answer those types of questions. What I know about it all is summed up in one of my articles you can view by clicking here. The whole network location bit is also discussed by clicking here.

Very generally speaking, you should always keep things locally on your C drive. This might account for the reasons you were unable to connect to your RoboEngine. But I'm a bit doubtful in that regard. My gut says you have a configuration issue elsewhere.

I'm sure you probably have very good reasons for wanting to use RoboEngine. However, many folks simply gravitate toward it thinking that because of the cost and the additional features, it simply has to be better than good old WebHelp. Additionally, it's not uncommon for folks to misunderstand things. Thinking that in order to deploy anything on a server, they absolutely have to have RoboEngine in the picture. The simple truth is that good old basic WebHelp works just dandy off any server.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just speaking out of frustration. Actually, I am always grateful to have the opportunity to learn any new program because I learn best through my mistakes. Most of the problems I had with Robohelp was it intermittenly lost its formatting on some pages and it was PAINFULLY slow. Now, I realize that is because our files were on the network server and we were running the program locally.

We needed the RoboEngine for the natural language search feature. It was my understanding it wouldn't work without it.

As far as connectivity goes, my network adminstrator swears the security settings giving us access are correct. Besides we would probably get a message that says not authorized to something to that affect.

Like I said, I will configure the setup as you mentioned previously and let you know how it turns out. Thanks for your help

Jo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 07, 2006 Nov 07, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My words of caution were related to Rick's notorious rants over newbies who have posted the same request on multiple forums (Mokey-Jo, you hit a trifecta!).

Jo, I think you still don't quite get it, when you say "As far as connectivity goes, my network adminstrator swears the security settings giving us access are correct." Actually, you're partly right, but you don't know why. The network issue arises because RH uses an Access database for much of its operations, and networks tend to wreak havoc on these goings-on.

Therefore:
1. Install RH on your local machine, with administrator rights.
2. Have IT install RoboEngine on the remote server.
3. Place your project on your C:\ drive.
4. Edit the project on your C:\ drive.
5. Generate Webhelp [Pro] output to another directory on your C:\ drive (instead of the default SSL).
6. Publish Webhelp {Pro] output to the remote server.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leon

Out of curiosity, why do you recommend generating Webhelp [Pro] output to another directory on your C:\ drive (instead of the default SSL).?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick:

When dealing with 40 merged projects, file backups use less bandwidth if you're not moving/copying the output files as well as the source files. Nothing specific to the Pro version, just all output. In some of our projects, we also generate Printed Doc for all top-level books/chapters (for internal review purposes) in addition to the Webhelp and an occasional CHM. That's a lotta output files! Therefore, this self-defense model. Your mileage may vary...

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leon

Thanks for the info. I can see where if you have 40 or so merged projects that things could be daunting. So this is really just for your own sanity and workflow. I was reading that and inferring that you were suggesting to anyone reading this that it might be a bad move to leave the defaults in place. I was concerned, as the defaults work quite nicely for the masses.

Cheers and thanks for the clarification... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning gentleman,

I know you guys are getting a kick out of my ingnorance...that's alright I've got my voodoo dolls sitting right here. :-)

I will forward your message to my NA and I will let you know what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Mokey_Jo

So that's why my bottom side is on fire! Voodoo dolls!

Seriously, I would never get a kick out of anyone having issues. We only try and help solve the issues and make others aware so they don't continue to shoot themselves in the foot.

I do sincerely wish you the best in resolving the issues.

I'm still curious about Leon's stuff though.

Cheers all... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know....just joking with you guys.

Leon had a good answer above for why you don't store the files in the default SSL.

"The whole network location bit is also discussed by clicking here."

See above for the link.

As for the current status of my publishing project. STILL NOT WORKING!
I followed your instructions exactly with no results. The error message still says Cannot connect to server.

Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might seem silly, but have you verified that the server is, in fact, up at the moment?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is actually our agencies internet site so I know it is up and working. I have published to it today and it works fine. It is just Robohelp....well, maybe not Robohelp but operatior error but in any case, Robohelp cannot connect to the server.

😞 I am sure it is something really simple...I have checked everything though and can't think of what it might be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mokey Jo

Can I suggest you try connecting via any FTP application (Filezilla?) to see if that works? It will tell you whether your issue is with RH or something to do with the parameters being used to connect.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2006 Nov 08, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi guys,

Okay, this still isn't working after following your set up instructions. I have a few specific questions. This is long so beware.

QUESTION ONE
In RoboEngine (on the server) in Properities - Virtual Directory where is says "when connecting to this resource the content should come from:

A directory on this computer

A share located on another computer

A redirect to a URL

We have chosen the first choice because we cannot access other computers from the server....our firewall will not allow it. The path we have in this choice is
the path to our root www folder which is
C:\External Webs\WWW\WebHelp_Pro

By default, it wants to go to C:\Program Files\RoboEngine\RoboEngine to which we get an error message (the RoboEngine icon in the folder will have a "stopsign".)

Occasionally even after directing the path to our root folder when I go back in it will have defaulted to above location.

Is this path supposed to be pointing to MY C DRIVE where the original files are coming from?

QUESTON TWO
If I am on the right track and I am supposed to point the above to my www root folder.....do I need to create a virtual directory within that folder? When I tried to walk through that, again it wanted the path to the original files which I cannot get to from the server because they are on MY C DRIVE.

QUESTION THREE
When we installed the RoboEngine, it actually copied our entire contents of our internet site and put under the RoboEngine. Can we delete these files?

HERE IS SOME INFORMATION TO HELP YOU PROVIDE ME SOME ANSWERS

I have everything set up they way you directed.

Robohelp on my C Drive locally
Project Files on my C Drive locally
Output files on my C Drive locally
RoboEngine on the Server root folder www

In Robohelp on my C Drive I have the publish to path directed to our www.site.com/webhelp_pro

(I also tried the IP address which didn't help)

FYI, In order to publish to our external server our NA gave me a user and group profile with a password. So I can get in, but I cannot get out.

Here are the list of error messages I get in RoboEngine:
No projects found in the system, please publish project to server
Cannot find list of projects
Unable to locate default system windows 'default windows not defined'
Error messages were returned from the index creator. No projects found in the system, please publish project to server.

If we cannot get this resolved today we are ready to bring someone in. Configuring Robohelp and Roboengine should not be this hard.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

We really want to avoid bringing someone in and YES we have already signed up for a class but that isn't until the end of December. :-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp