Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Arabic script

May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I am making commerical documents which need to use both English and Arabic in the same documents. Does InDesign have any settings that allow for it? I have read about InDesign ME but that is not the version I have, and have also read about something called World Ready Composer which I simply cannot find. Without changing the whole system to the Middle Eastern version is there anything I can do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read further up on "something called World Ready Composer". It's not something you can "simply" find, there are some additional tricks to it. Try http://www.thomasphinney.com/2009/01/adobe-world-ready-composer/

Then again: what version of InDesign are you using? Depending on the answer to that (1.0, CS2, CS7.5ß ... ) the answer to your question could range from "not possible at all" to "absolutely, just follow the proper instructions".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jongware

I found that in Indesign CS6 we have a built-in script "Indic preferences" , we basically exposes the use of the "world-ready composer"(WRC), which enables InDesign to use lots of non-Western scripts.

Wouldn't it be helpful here , I dont know much about scrpiting would appreciate if you could tell something about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as standard InDesign does not support direct selection of RTL, in both Paragraphs and Character styles, you need a script to select the World Ready Composer and set these attributes.

Does Standard CS6 allow this? No idea. Checked the online Help yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope - CS6 does not expose the RTL text manipulation tools. The script that Manish points out does expose the World-Ready Composer, but none of the stuff that is totally critical for RTL work (paragraph direction, character direction, digits, etc.) is available to users of the non-ME Creative Suite. The WRC exposed by that script will let you do Indic scripts which flow LTR.

As usual, the options boil down to: Buying the ME edition, buying World Tools, or using scripts. Frankly, using the scripts won't do much for you beyond just getting the text to compose with RTL flow. Actual typesetting in Arabic -  specifying numerals, hanging indents, control of diacriticals, kashidas, et cetera - would be pretty much impossible with scripting alone, unless you are expert in both Arabic typesetting and in InDesign scripting. The only real solutions for multilingual typesetting are still the ME edition and World Tools. And, if you want to do significant work that is not in Arabic, or Hebrew or Farsi or Urdu or Pashto or etc., then World Tools is the best option by far.

BTW, that "Indic Preferences" script is hilarious. I only spent a few minutes digging but it looks like all it does is: add Indic languages to the language dropdown, set default units to millimeters, expose the WRC (hooray!) and set the default language to English: UK. This is all contained within

app.setApplicationPreferences(LanguageAndRegion.indic);

but I was only able to find that LanguageAndRegion exists, not what else .indic might carry along with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, that "Indic Preferences" script is hilarious. I only spent a few minutes digging but it looks like all it does is: add Indic languages to the language dropdown, set default units to millimeters, expose the WRC (hooray!) and set the default language to English: UK. This is all contained within

app.setApplicationPreferences(LanguageAndRegion.indic);

but I was only able to find that LanguageAndRegion exists, not what else .indic might carry along with it.

What it actually does is it causes InDesign to read the Preset/default/Predef_Indic.iddx file, when normally it would have read Predef_enUS.iddx (or as appropriate for your locale).

You can read the iddx XML file yourself if you like.

In addition to the things you mentioned, it changes the default page size, the snap zone, and also enables Font Locking.

I'm not so sure what Font Locking is or why it's important, but it's probably the most significant of the changes beyond the composer visibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the thread drift, Mark.

I did notice the A4 paper size (and forgot about it once I'd set it back to US Letter) but I did not notice the snap zone. But thanks for pointing out the Font Locking, which I most likely never would have found myself - it looks like it turns on the feature that automatically substitutes missing fonts or glyphs. I wonder what else I could learn about it if I read Chinese...  looks like the InDesign forum over at cooldtp.cn is a busy place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like Vikrant just put up a blog post about this (I hope I don't steal his thunder):

http://blogs.adobe.com/vikrant/2012/05/indesign-cs6-indic-support-and-preferences/

He also explains font-locking there:

Sets the font locking preferences. This means typing in Indic script in a font that doesn’t support Indic will switch to one that does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No you didn't 🙂 Anyway, I just collated all the information you guys provided and compiled it at one place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another possibility is the World Tools plugin from In-Tools.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CS6 does have a Middle Eastern version that has support for Arabic and Hebrew. http://www.adobe.com/mena_en/products/indesign/tech-specs.html

Middle Eastern support

InDesign CS6 is also available in middle eastern and north african editions. It adds support for Arabic and Hebrew, and provides several features for working with right-to-left, bi-directional scripts, and other language-specific features. Enhanced functionality includes support for tables in the Story Editor, improved Kashida justification, enhanced diacritic positioning, and other text-handling improvements.

See http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/indesign/using/arabic-hebrew.htmlfor more details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vikrant,

Will these features you have mentioned (which is exactly what I require) be available in the UK version? If not how can I install the ME version via Creative Cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will these features you have mentioned (which is exactly what I require) be available in the UK version?

Nope, only in the ME version. If someone sets some Arabic in ID, you'll be able to open it, but the tools to work with it are only exposed by Adobe in the ME edition. That's why Peter mentioned World Tools - it's a plugin that exposes RTL tools for Arabic, Hebrew etc. in other verisons of InDesign. World Tools Pro offers both RTL support and CJK support for East Asian languages. So, if you're doing multilingual work, I would strongly suggest that you look at World Tools. It is by far the most effective money I have ever spent in more than a decade of multilingual DTP work.

If not how can I install the ME version via Creative Cloud?

I don't think you'll ever be able to have the UK and ME version co-exist on the same machine, cloud or no.  But apparently it's doable, although I can't figure out how from this post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP in that other thread said he wanted to install the ME version on his second (backup) computer. From that I infer that he does not have a CS6 version of ID installed at all onthat machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joel: I...was not under the impression that the ME version would be available through Creative Cloud, though I don't know and I don't have a Creative Cloud subscription at the moment. But Apel Yves' post that you cite seems to suggest is is, at least for Creative Cloud Multilanguage (German store).

In any case, though, my reading is not that Apel installed the ME edition on the same machine as the non-ME edition. Quote:

want to install the middle east version on my second (backup) computer.

I don't think there's reason to believe the backup computer already had InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, folks, let me try that again, with some more words this time - I have no idea whether or not the ME edition is available in the English-language Creative Cloud. It looks like it is possible to obtain the ME edition in the German creative cloud, so I suspect that it should be available in the English Creative Cloud. That's what I meant by "doable." However, whether or not the ME edition is available via the Creative Cloud in your locale, I suspect that it will still be the case that you can't have the the ME version of InDesign installed on the same operating system as the UK version, the US version, or any non-ME edition. Note that I only suspect this - but that has been what has been consistently reported here over the years, that it is impossible to run ME side-by-side with the US (or UK) version on one OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2012 May 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ME version will definitely not be available as part of the Creative Cloud at present.

That is likely to change in the Middle East at a later point. Whether that will be the case in other areas as well, is anyone's guess...

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2012 May 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it seems in the German store (according to Apel), you can get Creative Cloud Multilanguage which includes the ME version.

I don't believe there is such an option in the US store...

So, err, it looks like this is going to be one of those "it depends" things?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2012 Jun 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

damn that!! I hoped that was not the case...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2012 Jun 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this answers your question but there is a way to get the ME version of InDesign via the Creative Cloud Setup, you just have to change the preference language on the Adobe Download Manager when downloading InDesign.

If you set it as English it will download the standard InDesign package, if you select Arabic it will download the Middle Eastern version.

However you cannot have both installed, so if you have already installed the standard version you may need to uninstall it prior to downloading the ME version.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1003731

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2024 Jan 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ملخص: تهدف هذه الدراسة إلى التعرف على المستوى الحالي لتبني ممارسات الإدارة الإستراتيجية
من قبل منظمات الرعاية الصحية في المملكة العربية السعودية، واستكشاف العوائق التي تحول دون تنفيذها بناءً على رأي
الإدارة العليا. ولتحقيق أهداف الدراسة تم استخدام الاستبانة كطريقة لجمع البيانات
آراء الإدارة العليا في ثماني مؤسسات للرعاية الصحية (أربع مؤسسات رعاية صحية عامة وأربع مؤسسات رعاية صحية خاصة).
اعتمد البحث على منهج فلسفة البحث الوضعي الذي ساعد في جمع البيانات وتحليلها. ال
كانت استراتيجية البحث وتصميمه بمثابة مسح يستخدم الاستبيان الذاتي. ساعدت هذه الإستراتيجية في الحصول على
المعلومات والبيانات اللازمة لهذا البحث من الإدارة العليا. كما ركزت على الطريقة الأحادية
اختيار البحث الذي ينطوي على جمع البيانات الكمية. وأخيرا اعتمد البحث على المنهج الاستكشافي والوصفي
أساليب تحليل البيانات البحثية. الأساس النظري لهذا البحث هو أن هناك حاجة ماسة لذلك
الإدارة الإستراتيجية

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines