10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2012 9:45 AM by larry red miller RSS

How do I get an image into my Images folder?

larry red miller Community Member

I am pretty much doing what the User Guide says to do. Though I did it successfully a few years ago, something now does not work.

In InDesign I created a typographic unit. I saved it three ways: as a .indd file, as a .pdf, as a .jpg file.

I have no trouble getting the .jpg or .pdf into the site window or into the Components folder. But no matter how I try, it will not go into my Images folder -— at some point the Optimize dialogue shows up and I optimize, saving it as a .gif — the effort to put it in the Images folder yields an error message something like "The current operation was not sucdcessful," with an error code of either -43 or 5000.

What might I try?

Separate matter: I saved the source file in a full 8-1/2x11 page. Is it best to reduce the page size to the size of the art before resaving it as a .pdf and as a .gif? Or can I readily crop it when I place it on a GoLive page?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: How do I get an image into my Images folder?
          Jacob Bugge MVP

Larry,

It should be possible to copy it to the Image folder in the usual way for your computer, outside GoLive, and then open the site file and press the Refresh button, to make it turn up in the proper way.

• 2. Re: How do I get an image into my Images folder?
            Jacob Bugge MVP

Is it best to reduce the page size to the size of the art before resaving it as a .pdf and as a .gif? Or can I readily crop it when I place it on a GoLive page?

Yes (at least for the GIF). No.

• 3. Re: How do I get an image into my Images folder?

Sounds good Jake. Gonna try. ("Jake" OK or grimace causing?) Simple easy to do quick replies. Excellent writing, gotta admit.

• 5. Re: How do I get an image into my Images folder?

Side query:

Goal is to add a few graphic items that use only type.

Created using type in InDesign.

Saved as both a .pdf and .jpg.

Am I better off working with the .pdf or .jpg?

When optimized, it becomes .gif.

Thanks.

• 6. Re: How do I get an image into my Images folder?

Your suggestion, Jacob, was correct up until final step.

I copied the new .pdf, in the Finder, not within GoLive, into the Images folder. I was asked to key in my system password for some reason, and did. I opened GL, hit the Refresh button on the toolbar, and the file showed up as per your answer.

At some point (I forget), it optimized into a .gif file. I saved it, apparently my best choice, into the Root folder. So far so good. I was able to place it into an experimental page where it looked perfect.

Then I tried to drag it into the Images2 folder. That's when I got this error message I keep getting, which is attached, whenever I try placing an image into the Images2 folder. (I am typing in Mac Mail. Do you see the screenshot?) The file in question is LWDheadTypography.gif. What do I need to do to get that file, optimized, into Images2?

Thanks again.

• 7. Re: How do I get an image into my Images folder?
                    Jacob Bugge MVP

Larry,

Created using type in InDesign.

Saved as both a .pdf and .jpg.

Am I better off working with the .pdf or .jpg?

When optimized, it becomes .gif.

Are you unable to Save/Export to PNG or GIF?

At some point (I forget), it optimized into a .gif file.

I have no clue about all this.

I always create the graphics in Illustrator where I (can) choose the appropriate format.

But in any case I believe it is possible to repeat the procedure where you move the final GIF outside GoLive and then Refresh.

Obviously a somewhat clumsy procedure.

• 8. Re: How do I get an image into my Images folder?
                      TangledRibbon Community Member

Hi Larry,

I'm just jumping into this conversation since I've been away from my computer for a few days.

When I want to add a an image in my site I do just what Jacob described, I create the image (in jpeg if it's an image I'll be using on a webpage or a pdf  if it is an actual PDF that I'm selling as a download).

I then save a copy in my 'image' file since that's where I keep all of my page images.

Then when I start up my site with GoLive and refresh, it uploads to that file for good.

Then I just create my pages and draw from that file.

The only time my jpegs ever change into gif with GoLive is when they are too large in size, (MB, dpi, etc.).  Usually if that happens, I just close down GoLive, open the jpeg with Photoshop, shrink the size down, save it using either a different name or add the size, ie: JulyCalendar200.jpg, JulyCalendar100.jpg, etc.

Then I just do like I did to add an image for the first time, (see first paragraph).

Hope that helps!

Good luck-

Deidre

http://www.LivingRightBrain.com

• 9. Re: How do I get an image into my Images folder?
                        Jacob Bugge MVP

Deidre,

The only time my jpegs ever change into gif with GoLive is when they are too large in size, (MB, dpi, etc.).  Usually if that happens, I just close down GoLive, open the jpeg with Photoshop, shrink the size down, save it using either a different name or add the size, ie: JulyCalendar200.jpg, JulyCalendar100.jpg, etc.

I believe that is crucial. I have never had GoLive gif anything on me so I was quite at a loss as I said.

I will remember this new knowledge.

And for my part thank you for jumping in.

• 10. Re: How do I get an image into my Images folder?

Step at a time.

ID does not save in a PNG format. So I will keep the JPG, which I will use, and keep the PDF because I already made it.

What happens is that when I move that item to a page, the Optimize windows come up and I choose GIF. But what is bugging me is that each time I try to use it, or each time I try to link to it with the pick whip, it AGAIN brings up the Optimize windows. That is befuddling.

Probably demands a mystical solution. We'll see.

You and Deidre are in sync. The problem may be me. Or it may be my file. As Monk says, "Here's what Happened" (redux):

Year ago my Mac crashed. Destroyed, per 3 expensive experts. We retrieved the site from the Web itself and it was saved onto a CD, whence I copied it. Almost all pages had bugs inside GoLiive but mostly they;ve been fixed and I am not concerned with the few remaining links/bugs. There may be a subtle corruption in the file. And if so that may explain why, within GoLive, about half the time I open a page I get a Log page, tucked under the toolbar so I can't move it, but which I close with command-w. Let me do one and enclose a screenshot.

Back to mystical?