3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2012 1:37 PM by deandagati RSS

Issues key framing 3D effects on AE CS6.

deandagati

Hi everyone,

I'm new to After Effects, so it's entirely possible that I'm doing something wrong here, but after a little web searching it seems like this is a strange bug in AE. Would love some advice.

Here's what's going on.

When I'm using the CC Particle World effect in a 3D environment with a virual camera and I try to move the camera in 3D space with no keyframes enabled, everything behaves as expected. As soon as I add a keyframe though, everything starts to fall apart. If I add a couple keyframes and try to have the camera track in, nothing happens in the preview window at all. If I render the RAM Preview, I do see the desired effect, but it glitches at the point of the keyframe. And how can I get any work done if I have to RAM Preview just to see every change I've made?

I recorded a screen grab to show you guys exactly what's happening:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17427924/aeproblems-hq.mp4

(high quality, ~79 MB)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17427924/aeproblems-lq.mp4

(low quality, ~14 MB)

Am I crazy? Am I doing something wrong?

I'm using After Effects CS6 on a brand new MacBook Pro with Retina Display. After Effects needs to be scaled up to display properly on the Retina Display, could that be causing any issues?

Thanks very much for your help!

-Dean

• 1. Re: Issues key framing 3D effects on AE CS6.
          Andrew Yoole ACP/MVPs

I've just tried replicating the issue using AE CS6 (11.0.1.12) on a non-retina Macbook Pro and can't - it seems to work just fine for me.  It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the fancy new hardware is related, I suppose.

It's reminiscent of some of the early OpenGL issues that AE experienced... or perhaps some kind of caching problem?

Do you see the same behaviour if you use the Camera tools, rather than just scrubbing numerical values?

• 2. Re: Issues key framing 3D effects on AE CS6.
            Mylenium MVP

And how can I get any work done if I have to RAM Preview just to see every change I've made?

Artists successfully have doen so for the last 20 years. The rest are cache issues. Some of them have been fixed in the 11.0.1 update, otehrs can be made to behave by turning off the disk cache in the prefs.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Issues key framing 3D effects on AE CS6.
              deandagati Community Member

Thanks so much. After your post I went to make sure that I was running the same version of After Effects as you. Turns out I wasn't. I didn't have the 11.0.1 update installed. I downloaded After Effects as part of the Production Premium trial about 10 days ago and assumed it would give me 11.0.1 but it didn't. After updating, everything works perfectly.

So, stupid mistake on my part.

Thanks again.