10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2012 2:07 PM by trshaner

No fringe in LR, Fringe in PS

GeofferyH Level 1

No fringe shows in Lightroom (4.1) when I Edit In (Command +E) it comes into Photoshop with fringe.

When in Lightroom, if I Export as PSD no fringe.

LR 4.1, PS CS5. MacPro 8-core, 18gb ram, Snow 10.6.8

Lightroom screen grab

Grab_LR.jpg

Photoshop

Grab_PSD.jpg

• 1. Re: No fringe in LR, Fringe in PS
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

What version of PS? ACR? How did you open the image? Did you use Render in Lightroom?

• 2. Re: No fringe in LR, Fringe in PS
            LRuser24 Level 2

Assuming that you use the latest ACR 6.7 (final) in Photoshop CS5: This is a known bug: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_4_1_rc2_artefacts_when_usi ng_shadows_clarity_and_image_warp_lens_corrections (other ACR 6.x versions do not show this, so I assume it is 6.7 final).

Unfortunately, there has been no bugfix for ACR 6.7 - Adobes official statement was that ACR 6.7 was the last ACR for CS5, so I assume it will never be fixed (ACR 6.7 was only an intermediate solution as long as PS CS6 was not released if I understand correctly). So it is only possible to upgrade to PS CS6 where the bug is fixed in ACR 7.1. Here is my question concerning this and another problem: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/will_acr_6_7_really_be_the_last_acr_ version_for_ps_cs5.

If you don't want to upgrade, you can render the image in Lightroom. However, because the ACR-Version matches from Ligntrooms point of view, there is no dialog where you can switch to "render using LR" anymore *). You need to configure PS as an additional external editor preset and use that preset to edit in PS - then LR will render a TIFF/PSD on its own (with the disadvantage that the TIFF/PSD appears immediately.

Note: For Windows, an additional trick is needed: The external editor preset has to refer to a *copy* of the Photoshop executable, otherwise the preset will behave like the normal "Edit in PS...". I don't know whether or not that is necessary for Mac, too. You will have to try it out.

*) EDIT: At least this is how I remember it from LR 4.1 RC1/2 (currently, I use LR 4.1 final with PS CS6 and have uninstalled PS CS5 already). It could be that LR 4.1 final sees ACR 6.7 as incompatible, so you may have the chance to switch to "render using Lightroom" normally. Try to reset all warning dialogs in the preferences and then use the normal "Edit in PS...". If the compatibilty warning dialog appears, choose "render using Lightroom". If not, you have to resort to the external editor preset as I described above.

• 3. Re: No fringe in LR, Fringe in PS
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you sure about that? Here's what it says in the ACR 6.7 update final release:

http://www.adobe.com/special/photoshop/camera_raw/Camera_Raw_6.7_ReadMe.pdf

ACR6.7.jpg

I'm not seeing the OP's "large" artfacts using LR4.1 final release, ACR 6.7 final release, and PS CS5 12.0.4. I can only see the "thinner" artifacts described here:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_4_1_rc2_artefacts_when_usi ng_shadows_clarity_and_image_warp_lens_corrections

• Eric Chan (Customer)27 days ago

This is a limitation of the current technology, a tradeoff we had to make to keep performance reasonable (otherwise to use the Highlights, Shadows, or Clarity sliders would be several times slower and use a lot more memory ...)

• 4. Re: No fringe in LR, Fringe in PS
                LRuser24 Level 2

Yes, I am pretty sure. I saw these artefacts in ACR 6.7 when it was released and I still had PS CS5. ACR 6.6 did not have this problem. ACR 6.7 was released around the same time when LR 4.1 RC2 was released, and both had the same bug. LR was finally corrected in LR 4.1 final, but ACR 6.7 was not.

P.S. I don't know to which bug the release notes refer. Seems strange because in ACR 6.6 everything seemed to be ok...??

EDIT: At least one other user confirmed that ACR 6.7 still has the bug: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4373850#4373850 ... Quote: "Susan S. wrote: I can confirm LRusers result that opening one of my many "test" images with problems  in LR 4.1RC2 into the final version of ACR6.7 in PS you get the same artifacting as in LR 4.1RC2. (...)".

@trshaner: Did you use lens correction (warp) and strong clarity in ACR? The effect is only visible if both are used. Or perhaps in your case LR was used to render the image?

• 5. Re: No fringe in LR, Fringe in PS
                  GeofferyH Level 1

I assume it will never be fixed (ACR 6.7 was only an intermediate solution as long as PS CS6 was not released if I understand correctly). So it is only possible to upgrade to PS CS6 where the bug is fixed in ACR 7.1

Hmmm. Not good. Thanks Lruser for confirming it as a known bug. Would be nice if it could be fixed in 6.7...

• 6. Re: No fringe in LR, Fringe in PS

Here's a comparison of LR4.1 final and ACR6.7 final with 'Edit In' PS CS5 12.0.4 on Windows 7 64 bit.

I used a Canon 5D MKII with 17-40mm L lens (17mm) raw CR2 image file.

LR4.1 with Shadows 100, Clatrity 100, Lens Profile Distortion 100, Remove Chromatic Aberration checked, and 'Manual' 'Rotate' +1.0. Pretty extreme settings!

Double-click picture to see full-size LR 1:1 and PS 100% magnification images.

Warp Artifacts ACR6.7.jpg

The only thing I can see is at the bottom part of the larger tree trunk there are a few tiny white clump artifacts, which are barely visible.

• 7. Re: No fringe in LR, Fringe in PS
                      LRuser24 Level 2

Very strange... yes, I don't see any problems in your picture, too. And it was definitely rendered by PS (note the ".CR2" in the sub-window title of PS). Perhaps it depends on the type and strength of contrast edges...

P.S. At the very top part of the large trunk I see something in the dark area on the edge to the sky (I think). If I remember correctly, the effect is only visible on really strong dark-to-light-constrast edges like there. On "not so very dark to light" edges, the effect was not very visible. Perhaps you can re-check using an image with high-contrast nearly black-to-white edges...

P.S. II: Perhaps I will install PS CS5 later on, just to test it and to be sure

• 8. Re: No fringe in LR, Fringe in PS
                        ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The issues were, if not discovered during, at least first described in detail during the beta of LR 4.1 but near or after the time when the final ACR 6.7 was released and development had ceased, because CS6 was out or nearly out.

I believe there are two issues, both with PV2012-toned images, in ACR 6.7 rendering vs LR 4.1+:

The first is that the brightness of some adjustments, including but not limited to Clarity, is different between LR and ACR, especially at extreme values of Clarity and other of the basic toning sliders.

The second issue, perhaps what is slightly demonstrated by the pair of example images along the lower portion of the foreground tree trunk, is that the edge-boundaries used by the PV2012 toning sliders, to divide what areas are brightened and darkened, are computed from the pre-lens-distortion-corrected image, so when a high-contrast edge has shifted a few pixels due to lens-distortion-correction, the wrong parts of that boundary are brightened or darkened.  In the example image pair, it appears that some dark bumps along the lower portion of the trunk are brightened excessively, as if they were parts of the light background instead of the dark trunk edge.  This particular issue can be mitigated by turning off (or setting to zero) the profile-based lens-distortion correction for the particular image where the problem is visible.

A third issue may be the maturity of the automatic chromatic-aberration-removal algorithms that have been further improved in ACR 7 and LR 4.

Another workaround would be to revert back to ACR 6.6, that doesn’t try to do any of the PV2012 adjustments, and have LR set to render LR adjustments to a TIF or PSD, using the method described above, to make a copy of Photoshop as necessary.

• 9. Re: No fringe in LR, Fringe in PS

LRuser24 wrote:

P.S. At the very top part of the large trunk I see something in the dark area on the edge to the sky (I think). If I remember correctly, the effect is only visible on really strong dark-to-light-contrast edges like there. On "not so very dark to light" edges, the effect was not very visible. Perhaps you can re-check using an image with high-contrast nearly black-to-white edges...

LRuser24 you are correct! I went back and tried using a more "contrasty" sky image. It's now very visible and disappointing.

LR4 was released prior to PS CS6 so I feel Adobe is obligated to update ACR6.7 with the "known" correction used in LR4.1 final release. LR4 release has been a "long and winning road" and I'm getting a bit tired of all the issues. I am sure everyone else is as well!

LR4.1 - Top     Edit In ACR6.7/PS CS5 - Bottom

Warp Artifacts ACR6.7_Showing.jpg

• 10. Re: No fringe in LR, Fringe in PS

ssprengel wrote:

Another workaround would be to revert back to ACR 6.6, that doesn’t try to do any of the PV2012 adjustments, and have LR set to render LR adjustments to a TIF or PSD, using the method described above, to make a copy of Photoshop as necessary.

That's what I did originally...and then thought ACR6.7 fixed it...so updated ACR6.6 to ACR6.7......yeeeesh!

Here's how to step backwards in time to ACR6.6, or any other ACR version:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4092599

It requires "manually" removing the ACR 6.7 Camera Raw.8bi file, and replacing it with the "extracted" ACR 6.6 Camera Raw.8bi payload file. If you have PS 64 bit and 32bit installed you need to do this for both program folder locations 'Program Files' and 'Programs Files (x86)' for Windows systems. Sorry, but I'm not sure how you do this on a Mac system.

Windows 7 Paths

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS5\File Formats  (32 bit)

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS5\File Formats  (64 bit)

Remove and save (if desired) the two ACR6.7 'Camera Raw.8bi' and 'Camera Raw.8bi.6.7' files to a backup folder. Do this for both of the above paths. Copy and paste the single 32 bit and 64 bit extracted ACR6.6 'Camera Raw.8bi' file into the above paths. It's easier than it sounds.