10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2012 1:05 PM by Roger_Beagle RSS

Need to know how to save printed image settings

Roger_Beagle Community Member

Photo printing setups; when printing a picture you have to make the following settings;

• (1) Select printer.
      • (2) Printer Settings.
      • (3) Select paper size.
      • (4) Select Type of Prints.
      • (5) Select print size.

After doing this printing a draft copy or coming back a few day later wanting another copy printed.

You go to edit load the file for picture to print, select create and you have to redefine the print all over again, this even after printing a draft copy and its OK and want to print 10 copies, you have to go back to Create and completely reset up to duplicate the draft picture you just printed.

When save an edited and formatted picture all that is saved is the edited and format digital image file.

I may want to print the image different sizes, on different types of paper, but Photo Shop doesn’t allow save the printed image files setup perimeter’s and tying the different print image setup to image file.

So I have to maintain a file folder Excel files that list all the setup parameter’s need to print that uses this the image file as is primary image.

Have I missed a Photo Shop function, that does this? 

• 1. Re: Need to know how to save printed image settings
          hatstead CommunityMVP

Unfortunately the settings are not sticky.

• 2. Re: Need to know how to save printed image settings

Then I am to take it, every time I setup and Image to print I have to take notes on each printing perameter and renter them each time I want to make a correction to the printed image and even after I get all the setting right and I am getting the image printed just the way I want it, I have to go back renter all the settings to start printing the muliable copies I currently need. Then make up a note file for this image so I can get the same result next month if I need another copy.

Nothing personal, but that is stupid to not beable to save image with multable print version, even if you have to save multiable version of the image file, one to produce each different printed image.  That makes Photo shop almost useless to me.  I have on file 1,000's of image with mutiable printed image formats.

• 3. Re: Need to know how to save printed image settings
              99jon CommunityMVP

Lightroom 4 will let you save your own print pre-sets, including aspect ratio and ppi settings. You can also save custom collage settings and print to file as well as paper. 

It may be worth taking a look.

• 4. Re: Need to know how to save printed image settings

Thanks, have to do something Photo Shop is defenatly not working.

• 5. Re: Need to know how to save printed image settings
                  MichelBParis CommunityMVP

Roger_Beagle wrote:

So I have to maintain a file folder Excel files that list all the setup parameter’s need to print that uses this the image file as is primary image.

Have I missed a Photo Shop function, that does this? 

My thoughts about this question of saving different 'print settings' or 'print presets':

- It's an important and legitimate concern for all those printing regularly

- PSE does not help in that matter, but most of the other editing programs I know of are not better in that respect

- I definitely think that keeping track of different presets is the problem of the Printer software, not the editor. You may want to use different settings for the same picture on your printer : so do I.

But I may use different printers for the same picture, and the settings for different printers are not standard, they must be customized.

So, what I am doing is to create different custom presets to be saved in my different printers depending on my purpose. I can do that on my HP and Epson printers. When in PSE, I can choose the 'advanced' settings and select the right printer profile for my purpose.

That may not be the process you are looking for, but I think it may look natural and help a lot of people who missed the opportunity to create those presets in their own printer software.

• 6. Re: Need to know how to save printed image settings
                    hatstead CommunityMVP

PSE Editor does not "format" the file, in my experience

If you work on picture A, enhance it, then save it, then work on picture B, save it, then reopen picture A again, the print parameters previously established are no longer in operation.

I use Microsoft WORD for letter writing. I have a document with a header, type the letter, print it, save it, close.

Go through the same drill for another letter, then reopen the first letter, and the parameters for printing remain sticky. I attribute this to the software.

I have a greeting card program. I set it up to print in landscape orientation (folded card). Print the back side, flip the paper, but have to change the orientation from portrait(default) to landscape again in the print dialog for the front side

That's how it is in my universe. Printer: Lexmark Pro 205.

My experience duplicates that of OP.

• 7. Re: Need to know how to save printed image settings

hatstead wrote:

My experience duplicates that of OP.

Did you try to save in .PSD format ?

I don't have the full Photohop CS so I wonder if it has more power than PSE, which should be natural.

I don't see how a jpeg format could store all printing info, especially for different printers.

My contribution was to offer a working solution for users having this problem.

• 8. Re: Need to know how to save printed image settings
                        hatstead CommunityMVP

I appreciate that. It's a topic we haven't discussed recently (if ever).  Post #3 from 99jon re Lightroom 4 providing print presets probably is the way to go.

• 9. Re: Need to know how to save printed image settings

hatstead wrote:

I appreciate that. It's a topic we haven't discussed recently (if ever).  Post #3 from 99jon re Lightroom 4 providing print presets probably is the way to go.

Yes, the way LR saves presets is the smart one.

My recent tests show that saving as .PSD works the same. And if you compare Word and Photoshop, it seems natural that each can save presets in its own proprietary format.

Of course, I am not ready to use the big PSD format just for saving printing presets...

I said I did not see how a jpeg format could save at least some settings (independent from the printer brand specificities). For the pleasure of discussing this matter, I might suggest that the jpeg format is able to store metada in the file itself. For instance, all ACR settings for jpegs processed in ACR are in a custom section for Adobe. Why not add the last printing settings, just like in the PSD format ?

• 10. Re: Need to know how to save printed image settings

I thank everyone for the inputs, most if not all has been helpful.  If for no other reason than I am not used to this type photo printing. When most printing I did over my career has been mostly l technical drawings and there most if not all, were black and white and if you got the size printed right it was fine and nobody noticed.  But, now that I have retired I have more problems than before as I am now working more in not just color, but Photo graphs.  Then of course there is the ten years of technology I messed.  How I wish for the days when a program didn’t do what you wanted it too, you write your own code to add the function.  But, now security walls and the complexity of programs today you need a team of 10 programmers’ to do that.

But, this not being able to sale the values of that print size, let alone color/shading, type paper, manufacture of paper and last but not lest printer and even its model. All of those effect color/shading of a print.  Just to day I have learned that the Application Program, OS driver and the printer can have color correction processingbuilt-n.  It’s no wonder what is on the screen doesn’t match what is printed.  And most of these color “correction” routines can't be enabled and disabled.  It is no wonder printing for one computer running the same Application and printing to two printers on that computer the prints are totally different.  At least now I know about them and know that every time I print the same image file I am go to have start all over  and work up all new printing parameters.  Use to be editing and formatting the image was 80% of the work, now it 20% of the work and printing is 80% of the work.