5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2012 1:41 PM by Ned Murphy RSS

Simple Question by a Novice in Flash

LaciG Community Member

Dear Forum, I apologize for asking a very basic questions but the day before yesterday was the first time when I opened my Flash Pro from my CS5 suite the first time. I have been editing AVCHD home movies in CS5 and now, I was trying to add some animation with Flash. After two days of hard work, I managed to create an SWF file with a motion tween that I could add to PrPro: The SWF is a map on which a ship (vector graphic) moves from one harbor to the next. (I managed to size, edit the motion, etc.) So far all is good. But I am stuck at the next step: I would like to move the ship to the next harbor after it stays at the present one for a few seconds but I can't manage this. I can add a new timeline and a new motion tween but the ship will not be exactly at the same location where it finished the previous journey. I am sure there must be a simple solution to accomplish this. Sorry for the long post, and would appreciate any help. Laci.

• 1. Re: Simple Question by a Novice in Flash
          Ned Murphy CommunityMVP

Why will the ship not be where it was at the end of the first tween?

• 2. Re: Simple Question by a Novice in Flash
            LaciG Community Member

Actually, I "accidentally" managed to insert a new timeline and the ship was at the same position where it ended the tween. But now I lost everything and I am trying to get them back. I am practicing the basics and probably need a bit more time to ask questions that make sense. (With PrPro and Encore I have a few yearss of experience, with Flash it is 2 and a half days so far...) Thanks for the help, and will get back soon (with more meaningful questions). Thanks again, Laci.

• 3. Re: Simple Question by a Novice in Flash
              Ned Murphy CommunityMVP

If the new timeline contains the same stuff, you can copy and paste the last frame into the new timeline so that everything is where you left it.  And you don't necessarily need to use a new timeline, you can continue right where you left off in the same timeline.

• 4. Re: Simple Question by a Novice in Flash
                LaciG Community Member

Thanks! I almost got what you are suggesting - right now (actually after my lunch ) I am experimenting with the key frames, so I can do everything with two time lines (one is the map, the other is the ship). Also, my (hit and try) "workflow" was this: SVG file (the boat) from the web > Illustrator > PDF > Photo Shop (editing, resizing, etc.) > PSD > Flash Pro > Export as Movie > import to PrPro. (Increased Stage Size in Flash to 1920 x 1080 before importing.) . I needed the intermediate steps because Flash didn't seem to accept other file types. I guess there must be a simpler way . But still need more experience for even to repeat these steps, and asking more intelligent question. Thanks again for your help, Laci.

• 5. Re: Simple Question by a Novice in Flash
                  Ned Murphy CommunityMVP

You're welcome Laci